It’s a Friday and the start of the month. Can you believe the year is almost over?
As it’s Friday, it means RPG news in summary form. If you’re a regular reader, then you’ll know the drill. There are sections below with bullet points and links off all over the place. Routinely Itemised doesn’t just summarise Geek Native’s own content.
As it’s the start of the month, it means an RPG Publisher Spotlight poll for Patreons to vote in and others to check out. Every month the Geek Native community help pick a publisher or creator to give some attention to.
Now, let’s dig into that RPG news!
RPG news from Geek Native
- Managing editor, James Introcaso confirms that MCDM will continue to publish Arcadia.
- Blades in the Dark is getting a TV show.
- Not to be outdone, Exalted is also getting a TV show.
- For the game’s 40th birthday, Chaosium released new and upgraded Call of Cthulhu character sheets.
- In other character sheet news, The Only Sheet is now free for Core edition Pathfinder 2e.
- A roleplaying American attorney has released a guide on Intellectual Property in RPGs.
- Wyrmworks Publishing has been sharing free content with disabled NPCs.
- Panayiotis Lines and Aled Lawlor teamed up to launch a new RPG company called Leyline Press.
- Geek Native reviewed the old school There Once Were Dragons.
- There was a quick review of Rowan, Rook and Decard’s Himbo Treasure Hunt.
- On the blog, we also had a sneak peek into the Tome of Peculiar Discoveries.
- What’s more, there was also some exclusive content from Valda’s Spire of Secrets.
- The Horrible Guild has a free preview of their forthcoming RPG project One More Quest.
- Free League Publishing announce a partnership with Chris McDowall and a new edition of Into the Odd.
- To support charity, in part, and indie artists Seven Squared launched these Fighting Fantasy t-shirts.
- The Bundle of Holding has a deal on The City of Mist.
- For this month only, save over $100 on Zweihander titles in GRIMtember.
Spotlight: Sanguine Productions
RPG news from around the web
- The virtual tabletop and RPG community Role has raised $2,750,000 in seed funding.
- Gen Con is being crystal clear; if you don’t wear a mask, then you will be removed.
- Paizo’s Adam Daigle is in bad shape and subject to the United States’ medical bill nightmare. There’s a Go Fund Me to help.
- Paradox Interactive’s CEO steps down over a difference of strategy. The company owns Exalted and the World of Darkness.
- Dicebreaker’s Matt Jarvis wrote up the 28 tabletop games have made $1m on Kickstarter in 2021 so far.
- Stars Without Number, which is a sci-fi RPG first released more than 10 years ago, will get a hardcover release.
- Also, on Dicebreaker, a write up of Wanderhome studio’s next RPG is a game about ghost families called Our Haunt.
- Free League Publishing will release Dragons and Demons, at least in Swedish.
- Due to work-life balance, Massif Press are suspending the Lancer RPG schedule. They’ll work on it on their own time.
- Alex Kammer shared some images of D&D 3.0’s old style guide.
- Chaosium opened the design journals on Pendragon.
- Twitch host Dot has joined Kobold Press full time.
- Wizards of the Coast will sponsor an English Football League club and its Leyton Orient.
RPG reviews and interviews from around the web
- At RPG.net, Antonios S reviews Brancalonia’s setting book, DM screen and Brancalonia’s Macaronicon.
- Happy Monster Press got an early look at Stingers & Spores.
- Thilo Graf reviewed several editions of Where There’s A Will and the system-neutral Anti-Sisyphus Issue Infinite.
- Bones of Contention reviewed Sacrebleu.
- Ben Erickson reviewed Warpland.
- Privateer Press interview the designer and podcast host Chris Handley.
- R. Talsorian Games is running a giveaway for copies of Teenagers from Outer Space!.
RPG new releases
- Jay Dragon and Possum Creek Games has published two RPGs together at DriveThruRPG in Venture & Dungeon.
- Dom Liotti has released the custom spell generation tool Power Words Engine.
- Michelle Jones has published the Powered by Lesbians The Bladesoul Playbook.
- Lightning Mage Game Design released the BOLT RPG Engine and DLVR: An OSR Adaptation of BOLT.
- John Battle also brought .dungeon to DriveThruRPG.
- Mundos Infinitos has published the industrial/infernal RPG Worlds Beyond The Infernal Breach.
RPG bundle deals
- Save $28.05 (74%) with Beyond the Horizon’s map bundle.
- Save $11.12 (20%) in the DMs Guild’s Hoard of the Dragon Queen: DM Chapter Guides bundle.
- Save $4.95 (37%) in the DMs Guild’s Witchlight Adventurers Bundles.
- Save $4.90 (71%) with Goblin Scrawl Games’ Smudge’s First Sack of Goodies bundle.
- Save $3.80 (35%) in the DMs Guild’s DMs Guide Collected Volumes bundle.
RPG ideas, tips and discoveries
- Two of the most famous D&D characters ever get statues as Sideshow produce Vax and Vex models.
- Nice, different but expensive! Kobold Lab’s Radiant Relic dice.
- The Genre Police look at railroading and ask “is it all that bad?“
- d20Radio’s Garrett Crowe opined For the Love of Cthulhu Try Folk Horror.
- Charles Dunwoody wrote up Game in Many Settings with the Elemental Core Rules.
You can see those Kickstarters and other crowdfunding campaigns that caught Geek Native’s attention over at Kickstarter watch. Here are some industry projects worth a mention;
- Eric Bloat and Bloat Games have core and Cthulhu rules on offer in SURVIVE THIS!! What Shadows Hide – Horror RPG 2 Book Combo.
- Jeremy Hart Illos offers 16 monsters in Creature Feature Quarterly Vol. 8 -for use with- OSE.
- William Murakami-Brundage has funded a sentient sword and adventure for level 1 to 3 characters with Goblingrief: A D&D 5e Adventure.
- The RPG magazine of system-neutral content is back with The Oracle Issue 15 – Caravan Travellers.
- Hrothgar’s Hoard is making dryads homeless as to look after your dice with Rogue Reborn: Hardwood Cases for Superior Heroes.
- Jonathan Witt is offering 20 adventures set in Ravenloft. It’s Journey in to Borca for D&D 5e.
- Meteor Tales is offering to create your own bestiary with amazing artwork in a project called Custom Bestiary.
- Oscar Watson is funding an RPG with a focus on usability, customization and simultaneous action. It’s Driven into Darkness the tabletop roleplaying game.
- Craig Bogart hopes to publish a campaign of gothic horror for levels 1 to 10 with The Council of Bones 5e Adventure.
- Eric Alsandor has space pirates, organ thieves, failed clones and others in RANE IN BLOOD: Mothership Adventure & Antagonist Sourcebook.
- Dead Channel Studios has rules for morale, events and supplies in Caravans: A 5E Camp Running Module.
- Freddie Taylor-Bell is funding art and a print run for Briar & Bramble.
- Sharktopus Games has an RPG Zine set in Ancient Greece for Dungeon Crawl Classics. It’s Aeon: Ancient Greece Vol#1.
- THACKO’s campaign was funded in six hours, and people flocked to HEX: The Versatile Magnetic Gaming Organizer.
- Norse Foundry has smashed goals for Metal Space Dice – The Wonder of Space in Your Favorite RPGs.
- Starting from $1, the STL – 3D Printable Character #1 [PAY WHAT YOU WANT]
- All Rolled Up will expand their award-winning occult RPG with The Dee Sanction: Adventures — Print Edition.
- Geek Therapeutics are offering Pouches of Potential: Reversible Dice Bags & Gemstone Dice.
- Kevin Crawford and Sine Nomine Publishing have nailed the Stars Without Number RPG: Offset Print Edition.
- Dylan is hoping to fund the 5e Adventures in Lorovel.
- FenrisGames has funded a horde of character minis in the shape of Wyrdworld ReCreated – 28mm anthro fantasy miniatures.
- Xykit has a 3D printable with open-lock clips in The Raconteur’s Master Screen.
- Roll For Combat have raised more than $100,000 for 5e/PF2 Battlezoo Bestiary, Monster Hunting, Pirates, Dragons.
- Stephens Woodworks has knocked it out of the park with these gorgeous Custom Engraved Traveler’s Dice Vaults.
- Frederik Hansen has an ambitious software project in the shape of Dungeon helper, the new DnD character sheet.
- LEN polygon is offering a whole set of tabletop dice in just one. It’s dUltimate – A Multifunctional Dice Design.
- Scott A. has funded the system-neutral horror Junction City: A Modern Horror RPG Adventure.
- Mungen Daster is hoping to fund The Laptop Game Master Screen!
- Nick Baran has made targets on the DCC adventure module The Protectorate of Jenulane.
- Long Tail Games has smashed targets on a deck of 50 single-card RPGs. It’s a Tiny Library.
- Vinechi wants you to build better taverns with all sorts of food. It’s Antics – Better Tavern Food For Your Next TRPG.
- Venger Satanis hopes to speed up D&D combat with Crimson Escalation.
- Shawn Carman is offering Thunderscape, Tiny Legacies and Infinity’s Edge as a Trio of Tabletop Tomes, Redux!
If there’s a source or news you think is worth monitoring, please get in touch or leave a comment below.