As Friday rolls around again, it’s time to take an RPG-centric look back at seven days worth of news.
Geek Native’s Routinely Itemised: RPGs does just that; an RPG news summary from the site and beyond, all in a bullet point format.
There’s also the newsletter (not for robots). That pops a daily digest of all the content on the site, RPG or otherwise geek, into your inbox.
Social media has a place too, putting geeky discoveries into your feeds. As a WordPress blog, each tag or category on the site has an RSS. Fancy watching a topic closely? Subscribe to the RSS feed.
Despite all that, if you’re just a hardcore Routinely Itemised fan then that’s super cool too! There’s even a t-shirt for you.
Right, now on to that promised RPG news!
RPG news from Geek Native
- Yen Press is planning to release the tabletop Goblin Slayer RPG.
- Tabletop publishers cut ties with The Broken Token after sexual assault allegations.
- Magnetic Press Play will publish a D6MV-powered Lupin the 3rd TTRPG.
- Chaosium buys licensed World War Cthulhu and Cthulhu Britannica from Cubicle 7.
- Wizards of the Coast made the old AD&D Priest’s Player Pack available as a download.
- WotC has also announced a D&D x M:TG crossover with Battle for Baldur’s Gate.
- Outland Entertainment will publish a Northern Steele and Negocios Infernales RPG.
- Son of Oak’s first City of Mist system licensee gets a free download with the Queerz demo.
- Steve Jackson Games’ finally has the Girl Genius RPG to look at.
- Runehammer and Modiphius team up, making the RHVTT free and sending Viking Death Squad and Index Card RPG to retail.
- Renegade Game Studios won’t use 5e for their Power Rangers, G.I. Joe and Transformers RPG and will use Essence20 instead.
- R. Talsorian Games is offering a free Cyberunk RED Jumpstart Kit Conversion Guide.
- Jayson Elliot has an original and first edition of volume 1 of The Dragon Magazine on ebay.
- RPGing as a sock. Geek Native took a quick look at the (maybe) GMless Searching for my Soulmate.
- The Bundle of Holding has a Shadowrun 6e deal.
Spotlight: Trash Mob Minis
RPG news from around the web
- Wizards of the Coast have a new survey up and it’s for D&D classes.
- John Francis Daley tweeted that the D&D movie finished filming.
- SR 16 started a Space Street newsletter that’ll include free RPGs, special content and exclusive discounts.
- The BBC wrote up Tabletop gaming: The therapy of fighting with miniature dragons.
- Chase Carter looked at Sandy Pug Games’ Kickstarter and The Exquisite Corpse in Maggots’ Keep is a gamebook narrated by nearly a dozen revolving writers.
- R. Talsorian Games shared some free The Witcher TTRPG content with Rodolf’s Wagon Returns.
- Cubicle 7 have a 20% off webstore sale.
RPG reviews and interviews from around the web
- Halfway Station 3.0 reviewed the sci-fi RPG Worlds Without Number.
- ScreenRant’s Coleman Gailloreto looked at How the Planegea Setting for D&D 5e Blends Fantasy With Paleontology.
- Refereeing and Reflection reviewed the Delta Green supplement Impossible Landscapes.
- At EN World, Ben Reece put together a review of Pathfinder Lost Omens: The Mwangi Expanse.
- The Gaming Gang’s Sami Yuhas reviewed the post-cyberpunk Hard Wired Island.
- The Alexandrian reviewed the 2013 D&D setting and adventure bundle Legacy of the Crystal Shard.
- The Albigensian reviewed Arion Games’ Maelstrom Domesday Investigators Guide.
- Dom at Signals from Delta Pavonis took a look at Alan Bahr’s Tomb Punk lo-fi roleplaying.
- Thilo Graf reviewed Galaxy Pirates: Ships – Heavy Dropship and Troika’s Fronds of Benevolence.
- Polygon interviewed Logan Bonner and noted Secrets of Magic is the biggest Pathfinder 2e book published this year.
RPG new releases
- Catalyst Game Labs expanded the Sixth World with Shadowrun: Assassins Night.
- A Couple of Drakes released the magical girl RPG Disaster/Peace.
- Micro RPG published a premium edition of Cthulhu Nights.
- Rookie Jet Studios released the RPG about exploring liminal spaces Behind the Walls.
- Steve Jackson Games made a prerelease available for the Girl Genius Sourcebook and RPG.
- Samjoko Publishing published the Galaxies in Peril Core Rulebook.
- Following a successful Kickstarter, Sequestered Industries hit publish on the large Legacy of the Soul Flame.
- Laurie O’Connel Games released an RPG about Trans Necromancers with Lichcraft.
- Cthulhu Reborn released a mythos bundle of adventures with APOCTHULHU Terrible New Worlds.
- Cave of Monsters Games released the Ranma 1/2 inspired RPG Fifty Fifty.
RPG bundle deals
- Save $27.60 (44%) with Critical Hit Publishing’s Cinematic Environs – Special Collection bundle.
- Save $19.98 (25%) with Mongoose’s 2300AD & Traveller Core Rulebook bundle.
- Save $14.55 (29%) with Alligator Alley Entertainment’s Esper Genesis Season 1 Adventure Collection (5e) bundle.
- Also, save $13.85 (17%) on the Esper Genesis Core bundle.
- Save $3.59 (20%) with Earl of Fife Games’ The OSE Forever Winter bundle.
RPG ideas, tips and discoveries
- Diagrams show the range of targeting options and squares being hit by a 30 ft by 5 ft magic blast.
- Designer Marius Brunner has an argument for more sophisticated Tier 1 adventures.
- Egg Embry wrote up the second part of Will Avatar Legends Change Tabletop RPG Forever?
- Wargamer noted Crusader Kings 3 fans are using the game to create TTRPG character portraits.
- Nerdarchy suggests Play Your Next 5E D&D Game as a Public Domain Cleric.
You can see those Kickstarters and other crowdfunding campaigns that caught Geek Native’s attention over at Kickstarter watch. Here are some industry projects worth a mention;
- John Thompson has a Savage World setting of high fantasy and insects. It’s Stingers & Spores.
- Charlie Thompson is offering up a system-neutral location with battle maps and random tables in Oakenrest Keep.
- Dustan James Ross is running a Kickstarter for some printable monuments to see if there’s interest. There is and they’ve funded BioSteps – Pay What You Want!
- Darkmoon Studios is offering STIL files suitable for The Wasteland: A 3D printable post-apocalyptic world.
- Westfalia Publishing is offering 23mm scale resin models in Flying virus monster VS masked adventurers!
- Guillermo Buenfil has funded a set of short and Adaptable Encounters for D&D 5E – $1 USD.
- Matthew J. Hanson is funding an adventure about rescuing kidnapped children from a haunted orphanage. Good Little Children Never Grow Up – 5e, PF2e, SWADE
- Severed Books has attracted hundreds of backers for Fallen Fang RPG Dice Sets / Not a Mimic Dice.
- Op-Models has Other Place Models: Daemon Legions Pre-supported STL files.
- Alex Saym’s app visualises your characters in a THICK style. It’s MYTHICK: Character Builder & DnD 5e Sheet App
- Sean Christopher Charles Richer has tempted backers with absurdism and new spells with Crapland 2 : A Surrealist Suburban Troika RPG Book.
- Brilliant Moon Publishing has a re-telling of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby through an anti-capitalist lens. It’s The Undying American Dream: A 5E Adventure Module.
- Macrocosm is offering home cast metal 28mm Fantasy Dwarves.
- Sundered Skies Press has a gothic-Venetian inspired setting with (5e) The Lost Codex of Mirkryn – Grimhaven
- Nathaly Aupin has a set of three RPG Fantasy Maps Inn’s and Taverns With art pack & tokens.
- Gabriel Komisar and Sandy Pug Games are offering an interactive adventure gamebook called The Exquisite Corpse in Maggots’ Keep.
- Tom Woods wants to keep your actual tabletop geeky with these RPG Classic Monsters: Owlbear and Kobold Drink Coasters.
- Kris McDermott has gothic locations read as modular battle map expansions in Meanders 5 Tabletop RPG City Maps: GOTHIC CITY Part I.
- Andreas Guttler is offering a 3d-printable solution to !!! Stop cheating – Happy Roll STL !!!
- Columbia Games has smashed targets and been backed by hundreds of gamers for Kingdoms of Hârn: Melderyn Hardcover.
- A small team of friends are offering Fantasy Apocalypse 1000 Open World Do Anything TTRPG.
- Anna Dadones has some great looking Dragon Crown: RPG Polyhedral Dice, Thematic Sets Four Realms.
- 3D IPStudios wants to diversify your mini range with ANIMALS STL FILES.
- Philip Sin, based in Hong Kong, is offering pre-supported STL and resin Yokai: Japanese Folklore Tabletop Miniatures
If there’s a source or news you think is worth monitoring, please get in touch or leave a comment below.