Brace for impact!
This week’s Routinely Itemised collection of RPG news, discoveries and Kickstarters is a big one. Why? It’s RPG zine season over at Kickstarter and there are many!
It’s been a weird week of RPG news with two different instances of racism casting its unwelcome shadow over the hobby. Kudos to those publishers who cut ties with the Judges Guild, even if it’ll cost them money, and for Osprey Roleplaying for standing firm on the cover design of Romance of the Perilous Lands.
Yes, it’s not a holiday for everyone but it’s hard not to acknowledge that today is Valentine’s Day. Even Wizards of the Coast got into the action by providing some free to print out D&D-themed cards.
Lastly, Hasbro has said they’ll lay out their plans for Dungeons & Dragons future on the 21st of this month. Any guesses on what those might be?
Right, that’s the homework over with. Now on with the RPG news!
RPG news from Geek Native
- Publishers cut ties with the Judges Guild.
- Hasbro will share their plans on the future of D&D on February the 21st.
- The 2019 BAMFSIES award winners are out.
- Years after Stewart Wieck’s untimely death the dark and mature Aquelarre RPG is out.
- DC Universe has a group of celebrities for an actual play DC Heroes RPG show.
- Osprey Roleplaying deals with racists upset over the cover of Romance of the Perilous Land.
- Geek Native talked to JB Little about Opus of Elemental Substance.
- Free League Publishing launched a way for third-party designers to write and sell products for some of their settings. It’s the Free League Workshop.
- Hunters Entertainment added to their Free Content Friday.
- Space Mom is recruiting in the Vultures RPG.
- Dream Realm Storyteller’s Svilland setting is expanding with Freyja’s Tears.
- Renegade Games have said May for the delivery of the Wardlings RPG.
- What’s going on here? DM’s Guild hosts some deadpan selfes!
- Using RPGs to help disadvantaged kids? That’s what Tabletop for Teens wants to do.
- Emerald City Comic Con will be getting this exclusive Gelatinous Cube Funko.
- Wyrd Games may miss shipping dates due to the coronavirus.
- The first episode of the sex-positive and adult-themed Thanatos is on YouTube.
- Tabletop gamers sorted out a rural school after a group of locals objected to a Dungeons & Dragons club.
RPG news from around the web
- Dicebreaker’s Alex Meehan interviewed TC Sottek about the new RPG Quest.
- Paizo Publishing shared an encounter for Alien Archive 3 called Giggles in the Muck.
- Q-Workshop’s Australian Wildlife dice sold out in hours.
- Pinnacle Entertainment Group launched Deadlands Lost Colony and Archetype Cards.
- Gnome Stew’s Jared Rascher reviewed Infinite Galaxies.
- Cubicle 7 re-released the first edition Warhammer Companion to PDF.
- Arc Dream broadcast session zero of The Heart of Iron.
- Gren Ronin shared developer notes for Enemies & Allies.
- Russ Morrissey compiled and shared this superb TSR, WotC and Paizo comparative history.
RPG ideas, tips and discoveries
- Ben and the genre police talk about Body language while you’re GMing.
- Looking for a more traditional character sheet for the Alien RPG?
- We found these downloadable D&D themed Valentine’s Day cards.
- Monster to monster hints: Kill the wizard first.
- How’s this for a good compromise between speed, cost and design? 3D tabletop maps.
- Wizards of the Coast shared these D&D Valentine’s Day printables.
- Power Score RPG shared this length guide on How to Run Your Villains Organically.
- DM David recorded and shared 11 Great Dungeon Master Tips Revealed at Winter Fantasy 2020.
You can see those Kickstarters and other crowdfunding campaigns that caught Geek Native’s attention over at Kickstarter watch. Here are some industry projects worth a mention;
Brace yourself as the RPG Zine season is in full swing!
- Oli Jeffery is Kickstarting Night Reign an RPG of stealth, violence and devilry.
- Wolf-Eel Games have launched a campaign for the RPG Zine The Skovd Chronicles.
- Monkey’s Paw Games have launched a Kickstarter for the bronzepunk RPG called Unconquered.
- An RPG zine about theme-park deception and awakening androids; it’s The Gaslight Club.
- A post-apocalyptic transhumanist oceanic tabletop RPG and a Kickstarter campaign for Mermaids After the End.
- An RPG zine set in the wild west. It’s The Promise Town Gazette.
- Labrys Games are funding a psychological twist on OSR in a zine format with Corruption of the Black-Hearted.
- Kate Jeanne is looking to fund an RPG zine about woodland animals building a home in Winter Harvest.
- Adriel Wilsdon is looking for funds for a 2-player RPG about being yourself with Monster Mix.
- FM Giest has funded an RPG zine about the public perception of pen and paper RPGs with Disk Horse #1: Off to the Races.
- Jaime Mosquera has funded an RPG about trying to get to a MCR concert and finding a date on the way.
- Laura Lovelace has a simple Kickstarter up for a 1-player RPG called i’m gonna be.
- Artist Michael Bielaczyz is looking to find a 5e and SagaBorn adventure called The Haunting of Eliuska Manor.
- A Forged in the Dark hack about a TV crew making a comedy prank show. It’s Funny Freakout.
- Caro Asercion has funded an RPG about creating and exploring fantastical cities with i’m sorry did you say street magic.
- A galactic tabletop roleplaying game of human conflict from Patch Perryman called Terranary.
- Ray Chou has a story RPG about love set on the cruise ship Cloud Nine called The Love Balloon.
- Joel Ruiz has a TTPG zine about body horror called Inside Out.
- R. Rook Studio’s YA-themed RPG about intrigue and romance funded in an hour. It’s Barrow Keep: Den of Spies.
- A bleak occult western RPG has raised thousands as fans take to Casket Land.
- A grim micro-setting of an adventure called from Stronghold Press Games called Vallakia.
- An RPG about Kid Agents and toy gadgets from John Lavender called Operation: Playground.
- Gordon Keech has an innovative adventure for any system called Monuments of the Fallen.
- A virtual tabletop interface with its own built in gaming system. It’s Knuckledragger.
- A weird-fantasy adventure about a 50-foot tall baby. Niky Crawford is funding The Baby in the Bean.
- Sigil Entertainment Group has an RPG Zine for Savage Worlds Adventure Edition called Dungeon Delve.
- Eli Kurtz is looking to crowdfund an RPG zine about political folly called Oligarchy.
- Cosmic horror inspired by the Cthulhu mythos in The New Tales of Oz.
- Educator Kevin Forrone has a Kickstarter for a Starport supplement and chapter book called Quest For The Dragon Egg.
- Dig up the past to bury the future with Lars White’s Dirt RPG.
- Octopus Apocalypse has an absurdly punkrock RPG called Punktopia.
- Pre-genned characters from Adrian L. Sanjuan in the form of Deck of Heroes.
- A zine full of monsters for Dungeon Crawl Classics is on Kickstarter called Them’s Monsters!.
- Bill Edmunds has launched his Kickstarter for The Bone Age.
- Ruth Tillman is crowdfunding a post-apocalyptic Zine RPG called Snake People.
- James A Youhas from Just One More Fix podcast has a Kickstarter for the OSR themed RPG Three Sisters.
- A quarterly zine about tabletop RPG accessibility from Jacob Wood called Accessible Gaming Quarterly (ACQ).
- Exploding Rogue Studios is crowdfunding This Thing We Started.
- Love, death and zombies. A necromantic supplement for the modern RPG called The Book of the Dead.
- An old school 1e adventure zine called Maximum HP.
- A Trokia! supplement about hanging out with your friends called Layabouts & Degens.
- Trinity Knot Studio has a Kickstarter for RPG Zine Deep Nightly Fathoms.
- Survive unexplained adventures in an 1950s setting with the RPG Zine Mundane Lost.
- Matt Robertson is collecting funds for an RPG zine called Citybuilding Extravaganza.
- A Rooted in Trophy RPG of nautical horror called Sunken.
- Sarah Rowan is Kickstarting an RPG zine called The Watching Book.
- A tabletop RPG where everyone is a web-slinger from Kay Schwenk called Web-Slingers.
- An RPG zine of material for your weird fantasy campaign called Explore Dungeons.
- An RPG that features custom wood, iron and brass playing pieces called Golem’s Gambit.
- A one-shot adventure module for 5e from Sam Belisle called Valley of the Forgotten Kingdom.
- A jungle moon adventure for Mothership called PRIMEVAL_.
- A collection of adventures from Johnn Four with 5 Room Dungeons.
- An RPG zine about orchid hunting in the Victorian era. It’s Orchidelirium.
- An Akira inspired RPG zine from Dom Liotti called Kishu.
- Spiel Knights are Kickstarting about fighting in a post-apocalyptic wasteland called Fight Planet.
- An RPG zine that launches three players through the solar system. It’s Celestial Bodies, Orbital Mechanics.
- Graham Bottley is crowdfunding Maelstrom Domesday: The Domesday Campaign.
- A TTRPG Zine about hunting or defending monsters in D&D. It’s They Cried Monster.
Gamerati News Update
Marcelo Ferrari of Gamerati catches you up on the Altered Carbon Kickstarter, the Dishonored RPG and chats about the Activision YouTube deal.
If there’s a source or news you think is worth monitoring, please get in touch or leave a comment below.