It’s the end of the working week for many people, and thank you to everyone else who works the weekend so the rest of us can enjoy it.
It’s also RPG news time as Geek Native’s Routinely Itemised rounds up what happened on the blog and elsewhere on the web.
Did you know that Routinely Itemised isn’t the only summary the blog offers?
There’s also the podcast Audio EXP. Audio EXP isn’t restricted to RPG news and doesn’t cover everything that happened. It’s a highlights show, and the lowlight is that it’s yours truly who chats to you for about 10 minutes on those headlines, discounts and competitions which stood out in the week.
If there are other blogs you get your tabletop news from, it would be good to know about them and so feel free to use the comment section on the bottom of this bullet point list to suggest them.
So, with that said, let’s get exploring this week’s RPG news.
RPG news from Geek Native
- In a proper old school leak, Mordenkainen Presents: Monsters of the Multiverse was toured for Nerd Immersion.
- The people currently calling themselves TSR have been putting pressure on old and actual TSR staff to help support legal action against Wizards of the Coast, but Darlene says “No!”
- Games Workshop, weirdly, said it didn’t want to be politically correct.
- Handiwork Games turned their Handimonsters Patreon into standalone book.
- Tabletop Simulator paused global chat in a LGBT row.
- The unofficial Genesys/Warhammer conversion The Old World got a big update.
- I took a look at Loke’s The Wilderness Book of Battle Mats.
- Chaosium has revealed the new cover for the 40th Anniversary Edition Call of Cthulhu Starter Set.
- Megavoid Studios is bringing new software to Kickstarter with tech to turn your tabletop into a battle map with Infinite Realms.
- For ARC, the doom RPG, momatoes released the Arcanum SRD.
- UK retailers are taking pre-orders for The Terminator RPG.
- Even Footing Games released a free to download demo of Babies and Broadswords
- Raising money for suicide prevention charity Jasper’s Game Day is the bundle Solo But Not Alone.
- The Bundle of Holding has deals on third-party Mork Borg content and publisher content for the One-Roll Engine.
- Humble has Fat Dragon paper and modular 3d-printer terrain and dungeons.
Spotlight As If Productions
RPG news from around the web
- Goodman Games has released a free preview of Fifth Edition Fantasy #18: Horror in Blackwood Forest.
- Outland said they have plans to publish 9 RPGs this year.
- Wisely, Roll20 found the time for a post Spotlighting Safety and Community.
- Humble, a site that often has RPG deals has announced changes to Humble Choice.
- Darrington Press, Critical Role’s publishing company, has released free wallpapers for Tal’Dorei Reborn.
- World Anvil has added the feature users requested the most: The Autolinker. You can also vote for their Worldember 2021 awards.
- Richard Whitters, once art studio head, has left Wizards of the Coast.
- Mindjammer Press are back in business and marking the event with a generous 60% off sale.
RPG reviews and interviews from around the web
- Age of Dust reviews the 5e Dungeon Age Star Dragon Rage and the AD&D World of Greyhawk – Mordekainen’s Fantastic Adventure.
- Over at Grognardia, James shared a retrospective on Outdoor Survival.
- Stargazer wrote up a quick look at Valda’s Spire of Secrets.
- Reviews from R’lyeh escaped the dark places for a bit with a look at The Troubleshooters and of Matrons of Mystery.
- Bones of Contention reviewed the Old-School The Hole in the Oak.
- The Long Read dove into Maustritter.
- Jared Rascher, at Gnome Stew, reviewed Coyote & Crow.
- At RPG.net, Paul St John Mackintosh braved the Trail of Cthulhu Fearful Symmetries.
- Technical RPG shared a review of Vault of Magic for 5th Edition.
- Beyond Fomalhaut reviewed Seven Voyages of Zylarthen.
- The impressive work ethic that is Christian Hoffer of ComicBook put together a review of Root: The Roleplaying Game Review: Roguish Adventure in a Woodlands Filled With Animal Factions.
- Noble Knight reviewed the RPG-related Warhammer Elector Counts card game.
- At EN World, Egg Ambry interviewed Alan Bahr in Meet GallantFunding, A Kickstarter Competitor.
RPG new releases
- Crow Land Publishing have released their Kickstarter success and horror RPG Wickerpunk.
- Losing Games has published 11 new adventures in Mausritter: The Estate Adventure Collection
- Onyx Path released the horror They Came From Beyond the Grave!
- M-Powered Production published the combat-focused RPG The SPEAKS System.
- Void Gate Games published its debut title with a retro-futuristic noir called Neon Blues.
RPG bundle deals
- Save $137.72 (64%) with Ken Wickham’s Mega Zine Bundle 2022.
- Save $64.30 (62%) with Skirmisher Publishing’s Swords of Kos Fantasy Campaign Setting bundle.
- Save $27.73CAD (47%) with Infinium Game Studios’ IGS Platinum bundle.
- Save $19.46 (33%) with Fantasy Heartbreaker’s New Year, New You — All Fantasy Heartbreaker Corebooks bundle.
- Save $9.99 (29%) with the DMsGuild’s Creatures of the Abyss: PDF & Fantasy Grounds bundle.
- Save $5.24 (25%) on this community content pack of Dark Adventures: Grim & Perilous.
- Save $5 (10%) with Dark Raptor Press’ npc_01 bundle.
RPG ideas, tips and discoveries
- D&D monsters created by AI? They’re a thing!
- Speculation on whether a Kickstarter category choice cost these gorgeous and cheat-proof precision dice their chance?.
- RPGs for adults as Critical Role’s The Legend of Vox Machina gets a red band.
- Terrorise your players with a dice catapult.
- Dungeon Solvers wrote up thoughts on Using Episodic Storytelling Elements in D&D.
You can see those Kickstarters and other crowdfunding campaigns that caught Geek Native’s attention over at Kickstarter watch. Here are some industry projects worth a mention;
- Epoch Possibilities has smashed targets and is approaching $100,000 in backing now for Epoch Tiles | Magnetic, Flippable TTRPG Tiles and Terrain
- Descender has hit targets for a OSR paper and tape CANDLE: Fantasy Audio Magazine.
- Danilo Moretti has funded a collection of hex-crawl maps in English and Italian with Pamphlet Islands.
- Kiril Tchangov is offering simple and complex designs in a Paper Miniature Graveyard Set.
- Adventure Squared has funded a series of random tables to create unique Two-Minute Taverns-£1.
- Pete Ruttman is offering to Make 100: Tabletop Gaming Tokens.
- Frostforge Gaming has a set of forest themed designs funding in Battlebinder – modular map tiles for DnD & Tabletop roleplay.
- Tyler Elliott is working on a new superhero tabletop game called Metroville, the Super Powered RPG System
- Jamie Loft has funded some more models in OSM Presents Trouble in the Kitchen or Never trust an Ogre
- Awfully Queer Heroes has 12 fully system-agnostic adventure posters in a Make 100 campaign called Adventurers Wanted! Job Board.
- Even when they tell backers the campaign is worthless, Philip Reed can smash targets. How? With Mimics, An Unnecessary Work, for Use With Fantasy RPGs
- Phil Stone has easily made the campaign goal for 5e-compatible The Demonology of Lire Goest Vol. 1 and 2.
- Luna Publishing has 5 mini-adventures funded in Cheap Thrills : Quick-adventures for D&D 5e – $1 Pledge.
- Chronicle Cards has an 8-piece and handmade collection on offer with Dragon Dice #2 – Oxalis.
- Tyler Lindsey’s first Kickstarter is about crafting and animal husbandry in Mork Borg. It’s Using Dead Things | Birthing Living Things.
If there’s a source or news you think is worth monitoring, please get in touch or leave a comment below.