Read on for RPG news in bullet point form in a Friday article-meets-newsletter that evolves ever so slowly.
One of the recent evolutions was the addition of the bundle round-up section. After all, if a publisher is offering 10%, 20% or even 50% off, let’s hear about it!
Er, what about 90% and more off? It may be a while before Ennead Games’ spend $39.99 to get $612.94 worth of content is beaten. In price discount, anyway.
In RPG news this week, we’ve a new Head of Content at D&D, and Critical Role’s game studio has released their first RPG supplement.
We’ve also got Yen Press, usually known for taking manga from Japan, expertly localising it, and publishing it in the West taking pre-orders on their first RPG. It could hardly be more of a controversial choice! It’s the Goblin Slayer RPG.
Kickstarter has well and truly woken up from the holidays, but we’re beginning to see publishers more aggressively testing alternatives.
So, with that said, let’s get exploring this week’s RPG news.
Win: Bloopers of the Borg | $20 DMsGuild
RPG news from Geek Native
- Controversy is expected as the Goblin Slayer TTRPG goes on pre-order.
- In a generous freebie, the Hero Community help you start playing the superhero RPG with Champions Begins.
- Nightfall Games has a StokerVerse Quickstart planned for next month, ahead of the Kickstarter, and they revealed the cover art.
- Goodman Games revealed which of the third-party supplements sold the best for Mutant Crawl Classics.
- D101 Games released an SRD for OpenQuest.
- Micro RPG released a free Gay Realms Quickstart.
- Flames of Freedom, the Zweihander RPG of American history and the occult, launched the community content Flames of Freedom Library.
- Wizards of the Coast re-released two classic Monster Assortment products as PDFs.
- Free League Publishing announced the first supplement for Twilight: 2000 4e with Urban Operations.
- 9th Level Games announced plans to Kickstarter an RPG for emotional learning and kids with Venture Village.
- Will Kirkby and Wyrmwood Gaming have these impressively colourful Critical Role dice trays available.
- In fashion, the artistic collective of Brain Dead launched their Dungeons & Dragons collection.
- Geek Native reviewed the Powered by the Apocalypse game of death and dice with Dungeon Bitches.
- The Bundle of Holding has two Palladium Fantasy RPG deals.
Spotlight As If Productions
RPG news from around the web
- Green Ronin is going to steer around the awfulness in Lovecraft’s work and run an RPG Kickstarter for Cthulhu Awakens.
- Ex-D&D Beyond celeb Todd Kenreck joins Wizard of the Coast of head up D&D content.
- Dicebreaker looks at some Kickstarters with Alex Meeham’s Battle Royale and PUBG inspired this horror sci-fi tabletop RPG and Stonewall 1969 – A War Story is an RPG about the history of LGBTQIA+ rights.
- On a bit of an RPG roll, Alex also opines Dungeons & Dragons’ creative campaigns are making up for its boring sourcebooks.
- Dicebreaker also reveals that Wanderhome studio’s next game dumps Kickstarter to crowdfund on Indiegogo.
- Christian Hoffer at ComicBook notes that D&D Beyond Provides Update on Monsters of the Multiverse Integration.
- Hurting no one and helping some, Gen Con will let you put pronouns on your attendee badge.
- ICv2 reports that Modiphius will release two new “Dune RPG” dice sets.
- Cubicle 7 give us a look at the Wrath & Glory sourcebook Church of Steel.
- At Polygon, Charlie Hall notes The next version of D&D is coming, and Monsters of the Multiverse is your first taste.
- Chaosium announce that 2022 is going to be the year of Questworlds!
RPG reviews and interviews from around the web
- Reviews from R’lyeh writes up Bastard King of Thraxford Castle and Star Frontiers.
- At Angel’s Citadel, Joann Walles writes up the sex-game book Honey and Hot Wax.
- James Maliszewski shares a retrospective on Ivinia.
- Jared Rascher reviews The Game Master’s Guide to Evolving Magic Items.
- Board Game Quest wrote up Sabbat: The Black Hand.
- Nerds on Earth reviews Review Of Lost Omens: Monsters Of Myth For Pathfinder 2nd Edition.
- Liber Ludorum takes a look at Never Going Home.
- Dungeons & Possums reviewed Dying Stylishly Games’ Wolf-Packs & Winter Snow.
- At EN World, Egg Embry talks to Jason Nelson in Legendary Games, What They Produced and Learned in 2021, and 2022 Plans.
- Sask Today talked to Russ Rowlands about NewEdo.
- Fangoria interviews Gavriel Quiroga in Highway To Hell: Interview With New RPG HELL NIGHT Creator.
RPG new releases
- Critical Role’s Darrington Press released Tal’Dorei Campaign Setting Reborn.
- Modiphius launches the voyages of Star Trek Adventures Gamemaster’s Guide and the Player’s Guide.
- Crit Acamedy released the 5e superhero RPG Capes and Crooks.
- Gordohead has released the Name Your Own Price Vigilant GameMaster’s Guide.
- Deeply Dapper Games publishes a zine edition of 3DIE6 core rulebook.
- Marc Strocks blends the Root RPG with Game of Thrones in Throne Rats.
- Perplexing Ruins released the ashcan edition of the supernatural 18th century with Fallen.
RPG bundle deals
- Save $572.92 (93%) with Ennead Games’ Mega Bundle 2022.
- Save $9.95 (33%) with the DMsGuild’s The Bundle of Domains: Ravenloft and Feywild.
- Save $8 (22%) with the DMsGuild’s An Elf and an Orc Had a Little Baby bundle.
- Save $5.35 (52%) with Raging Swan Press’ The OSR Dungeon, Urban and Wilderness Sample, £5.35 (52%) with The 5e Dungeon, Urban and Wilderness Dressing Sample and another £5.35 (52%) with The Pathfinder 1 Dungeon, Urban and Wilderness Sample bundle too.
- Save $2.90 (13%) with the DMsGuild’s High Goblins Don’t Fail bundle.
RPG ideas, tips and discoveries
- Charles Dunwoody kicks off a new sub-series with Year Zero World Building: The One Ring.
- Generate whole fantasy families with just one button press.
- At Outland Entertainment, Christopher Helton gets into worldbuilding with a discussion about settings in RPGs.
- Ben Bishop wrote up How to Get Started With Avatar Legends: The Role-Playing Game.
- At Wired, Pearse Anderson reminds us that Tabletop RPG Rule Books Can Be Beautiful and Accessible
- ScreenRant’s Scott Baird wrote down AD&D Rules That Can Be Easily Incorporated Into Dungeons & Dragons 5e.
You can see those Kickstarters and other crowdfunding campaigns that caught Geek Native’s attention over at Kickstarter watch. Here are some industry projects worth a mention;
- Bloat Games has a compilation of all DP&D classes, some new ones, magic and more in the SURVIVE THIS!! Dark Places & Demogorgons Class Compendium.
- Ulthar Studio has funded a collection of large Ancient Tokens: Cthulhu, Dagon, Hastur and Arcane Signs.
- William Murakami-Brundage has funded their 16th campaign and Menagerie of Adventures #1: Three D&D 5e Adventures
- Scott Taylor’s adventure comes ready for 1e and 5e. It’s The Folio: Retro Classics, Ice on the Water Trilogy
- Daniel James has funded a project to make MAPS! MAPS! MAPS!
- Austin Cushing has a new line of Roll4ItDice Pearled Pride Dice.
- newyear Studios is offering 166 tarot-sized MÖRK BORG Compatible Core Reference Cards
- Jordan Rhine wants to build an actual Drafts & Dragons Tavern
- Chamomile Has a Project and another 5e success with Orrinyath’s Guide to Dragons.
- Bloody Sword Miniatures has 3d printable Anime Dungeons – amazing miniatures and terrain!
- arthur wants you to explore treacherous and claustrophobic caverns with The Adventurer’s RPG Tiles – Modular Cave Tiles
- Inbreak are making die from scrapped camera lens in a project called Extra-large optical dice
- Fenris Game Studios has a way to do without a DM with the cards of the Pocket Game Master
- Valkyrie has funded Hexed – A collection of sharp edged dice.
- Diego Martinez is offering detailed 3d-printable Fantasy Theory Band RPG
- Evan Carothers has a multi-thousand success with 3d-printable Oblieg’s Gallery of Grave Goods – Printable gaming props
- The BoardGame Zone know my interests with ICE DICE BABY! Food-Safe Dice for Drinking and Dungeons
- Asterisco Edizioni has funded a the one-off Stonewall 1969 – A war story RPG
- Steve Anna has hit target for Element Benders – Miniatures for Tabletop Gaming
- Thomas Denmark’s first Kickstarter is a success. It’s Gunslinger-Strange Science in the Wild West Roleplaying Game.
- Gwilyn Iorwerth Evans is funding an original RPG called Cyberpunk Noir.
- Rinaldo Agostini has hit goals for a campaign inspired by Mork Borg and for Forbidden Psalm: Regicide.
- Laidback Dungeon Master is successful again with MAPS FOR FANTASY RPGs 3 – ROYALTY FREE MAPS.
- The Grinning Frog has a collection of unique items in Vastral’s Guide to Magical Oddities 2 for 5e
- Glynn Seal is funding a low level 5e / DCC / Swords & Wizardry adventure cheerfully called Rancid Canyons of the Floating Death Sheep.
- Caryn Stockwell is suggesting you’ll score a success with these Critical Roll DND Polyhedral Potion Vial Dice Sets.
- Andre Novoa has smashed through €10,000 very quickly with Hex-n-Screen: Undying Sands + Bottled Sea
- ZES Board Games has 18 different designs on offer with KEEP ON ROLLIN’ – The Dice Collection
If there’s a source or news you think is worth monitoring, please get in touch or leave a comment below.