It’s the first RPG news round-up of 2022, so welcome to Routinely Itemised.
There are a few days left to get DMsGuild discounts and, for Patreons, all month to vote on the RPG Publisher Spotlight.
The candidates this month are;
As If Productions won for this month, I’ve emailed and will chase in a day or two, but it’s a dire time of year for speedy email responses.
On that note, Geek Native has been having a bit of a ‘mare getting competition winners to respond/accept their prizes. Who knew this would be a problem?
That said, there are two running right now, which you’ll find just below. Do check them out if you’re interested.
The DMsGuild coupon is GEEKNEWYEAR10 and it expires on the 8th. It’s good for %10 off digital purchases over $10.
So, with that said, let’s get exploring this week’s RPG news.
RPG news from Geek Native
- D&D’s old boss is Hasbro, WotC’s parent company’s, new boss.
- TSR re-file their legal attack on Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic: The Gathering creator Richard Garfield will publish a Roll & Write this year called Dungeons, Dice & Danger.
- Geek Native reviewed the LUMEN based sci-fi RPG Nova.
- I chat about future plans, demands on dragons and dungeon maps with Forgotten Realms.
- How much is your collection of old RPGs worth? Angus Abranson relaunches Second Games Galore.
- OneBookShelf has hired Posthuman Studio’s Adam Jury to help publishers.
- Astral, the virtual tabletop, is currently live, frozen but we’re told stable.
- GallantFunding succeeds on its first attempt with War of the Magi.
- RPG Those Dark Places will, someday, get a skirmish game Those Darker Places.
- Generously, Sean K Reynolds has made the entire Five Moons RPG range free.
- Epistolary Richard shares a year of research on Indie TTRPGs.
- PolyDemons has a free demon of the online visualiser The RPG Engine.
- EN World’s community voted on the tabletop RPGs they’re most looking forward to in 2022.
- Sigil Stone has two different OSR games in just one collection at the Bundle of Holding and Green Ronin has Modern AGE and The Expanse in a carefully timed offer too.
- Big sales on at OneBookShelf sites, and we look at New Year, New Game and New Year, New Story.
Spotlight As If Productions
RPG news from around the web
- Charles Ryan kicked off New Gamemaster Month.
- ZineQuest 2022 will happen, but it’s been delayed to August so it can coincide with GenCon, says Anya Combs director of games at Kickstarter.
- Pinnacle Entertainment Group launches a blowout sale on d20 and Classic Deadlands.
- Allen Varney shared a retrospective with The Bundle in 2021.
- Wyvern Gaming has announced new Stargate SG-1 RPG supplements.
- Rebecca Mennecke wrote for Volume One CONNECT TO YOUR CHARACTERS: Dungeons & Dragons Dice Maker Brings Creativity to Craft.
RPG reviews and interviews from around the web
- Reviews from R’lyeh writes up The God with no Name.
- Angel’s Citadel review the heroic fantasy of Aether.
- Age of Dusk reviews the horror OSR The Price of Evil.
- Refereeing and Reflection looks at Chris Spivey et al’s Haunted West.
- Games Industry News also published a review of Haunted West
- Save or Quit reviews Free League Publishing’s Things from the Flood.
- Vorpal Mace reviewed The Heroic Legendarium.
- Rolling Boxcars goes Nazi punching with a review of Achtung! Cthulhu 2d20 Quickstart.
- James Maliszewski shared a retrospective on the Heroes of Olympus.
- Ben Reece reviews Pathfinder Lost Omens: Grand Bazaar & Monsters of Myth.
- Jared Racsher shared a first impression of Fables’ Death is not the End.
- Charles Dunwood wrote up a review of Twilight: 2000.
- Screen Rant’s Evan Mullicane noted Die is the Darker Side of D&D Fans Didn’t Know They Needed.
- Egg Embry interviews Mark Rapson about Demon Dog and 2022 plans for Nightfall Games.
RPG new releases
- Gormengeist published a game about being poor, psychic and murdering law enforcement. It’s Psychopunk.
- Dice Doctor Games published a roleplaying game of paranormal investigations with Ghost.
- Bloat Games published core rules for SURVIVE THIS!! What Shadows Hide.
- tolleSpiele Games released their Powered by the Apocalypse pulp RPG Thrilling Adventures!
- Font of Inspiration published a Fate Condensed survival horror hack with We Who Remain.
- Post World Games released the superhero RPG Good Guys Finish Last.
- Bogus Cheesecake published the settings guide for Bolarius.
RPG bundle deals
- Save $14.95 (75%) with this DMsGuild 10 One-Shot Adventures – Convenience Bundle.
- Save $6.98 (16%) on Farwood Publishing’s Wayfarers of the Farwood bundle.
- Save $6 (23%) on Schwalb Entertainment Community Content Dark Adventures of the Demon Lord bundle.
- Save $2.70 (57%) on Spes Magna Games’ Epiphany Bundle.
RPG ideas, tips and discoveries
- The Geek Native RPG and geeky convention calendar got an update.
- Ben and the genre police talk about parallel story technique in Life Map.
- Need to shame your poorly behaved RPG dice? Try the dunce hat and chair.
- Polygon share their 10 most anticipated new tabletop RPGs coming out in 2022.
- At Outland, Christopher Helton wrote up Tombpunk.
You can see those Kickstarters and other crowdfunding campaigns that caught Geek Native’s attention over at Kickstarter watch. Here are some industry projects worth a mention;
- Brother Ming Games have 7 unique metal dice from 7 talented artists FE Metal Dice.
- Andrew Kreinbrink is funding Kwald Design Modular Wargaming 3D Printed Terrain.
- Infec3d1 returns with winter themed maps and encounter ideas with the 5e compatible Frozen Fun.
- Josh Dunham has a MORK BORG compatible and metal Nativity in Black.
- Memi is funding token-usable Cute dnd Monsters cards.
- Brittani launches their 6th Kickstarter with the question, “What’s more romantic than demonic invasion?” It’s Eldendale: Love and Luck.
- Foxern is running an ambitious campaign to fund a weird west/fantasy RPG called Pistol Dust.
- DiceGoblin32’s first Kickstarter is for elegant LED dice that will light up your tabletop adventures. It’s Luminaire Dice.
- Tainted Saint Miniatures has funded a set of 3d printable miniature pets in Etramas miniature Petshop.
- Tabletop Totality are funding an adventure setting for 5e. It’s the high fantasy Tales of Drakuva: Adventures in Thistledown.
- Zindoc has heroes and scenary on offer in Dungeon 3D Classics – STL Miniatures.
- Landmark Dice’s first Kickstarter is for elegant dice from The Excelsior Collection – Quality Affordable Handmade Dice.
- Limitless Adventures has 100 new creatures in Limitless Monsters vol.2 (5e).
- Stephens Woodworks is making engraved mini dice vaults – but only a few as it’s Make 100: Custom Engraved Dice Vaults.
- Nerdarchy has nearly funded a deluxe box set of 250 Tarot sized magic item cards with Mage Forge – Magic Items for 5th Edition.
- Guillermo Buenfil has funded dungeons and tavern cartography in Battlemaps Ready to Play, maps for TTRPGs, D&D.
- David Savedge have handcrafted brass runic dice, sticks, runes and tokens on offer with Tabletop Witchcraft: Arcane Tools for RPG Games and Magic.
- QB has a combo of GM screen, storage and utilities all in the MagiCrate : The 3D Printed Modular GM Box.
- Xacur has a small compendium of 5e-compatible but perhaps not tummy-compatible dishes with The Tiny Tome of Dangerous Food.
- Mangy Goblin Games has a set of terrain files and a particular monster… Eye Monster & Terrain Tabletop Set-STL Files for 3D Printing.
- Plot Hooks is back, and you’ve the chance to play a furry rodent in 5e with Disaster Hamsters 2.
- Aaron Prior is getting close to target with this time with Expedition to Chimpanzor Island: A 5e Adventure RELAUNCH.
- Oliver McNeil has a hybrid RPG, board game and gamebook for 1-5 players with The Storymaster’s Tales “Threatlore Town”.
- Ken Robkin is aiming for February shipping for this D&D Valentines day surprise.
- James is offering a fresh TTRPG of terror and adventure in The Wounded God by Met Games.
- Angus McDanile has a collection of Mimic Madness STL Files.
- Joanna Villafane has five day and night versions of locations in the TTRPG Map 10 pack.
- Red Pana Publishing have funded The Adventurer’s Guide to the Bible for 5E.
If there’s a source or news you think is worth monitoring, please get in touch or leave a comment below.