PAX Online and D&D Celebration 2020 are both on right now. It’s been a busy news week.
Wizards of the Coast released Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden and lots of RPG news sites and blogs covered it, with reviews, insights and opinions. I’ve not listed them all below, it became too much noise for too little signal, but suffice to say this campaign begins to unlock a meta-plot that’s been running through previous official D&D adventures.
In a weird, rare and at short notice yours truly was interviewed by Jeff of The Roll Mongers podcast in Attack of Opportunity. So you can see me on Twitch, in need of a shave and with all my monitors reflecting in my glasses. The conversation? Geek Native and the history of the site.
Ready for the news blast? Here it comes!
Win 6 Nimmt!
RPG news from Geek Native
- Avalon Hill has surprise plans for HeroQuest.
- The complex trademark history of HeroQuest is the topic for the last Audio EXP podcast, which is fully transcribed.
- The Borderlands computer game now has a tabletop RPG called Bunkers & Badasses.
- Twitch has co-funded a Cortex Prime tabletop RPG called Into the Mother Land.
- Monte Cook’s The Diamond Throne setting is coming to the Cypher System, but it’s not Monte Cook Games running the project.
- Monte Cook Games do have a 28-page free preview of We Are all Mad Here.
- Steamforged Games is releasing an RPG based on popular animal mini ranges called Animal Adventures.
- Sewer Brew Games have re-imagined Venom as a D&D Warlock’s patron in The Symbiote.
- In a Geek Native survey, 10% of respondents think Mind Flayers are too scary for D&D.
- The Bundle of Holding has a collection of Isometric Maps.
- After delays, there’s now a firm Kickstarter launch date for the D&D powered Stargate RPG.
- Manticore Games announced the Design-A-Dungeon competition winners at PAX Online.
- The public can vote (and perhaps win prizes) in the RPG Superstar! 2020 competition.
- The free to download D&D Adventurers League season Plague of the Ancients has new Dungeons & Dragons race rules.
- There’s a neat animated trailer, and plenty of DMs Guild supplements out for the newly released Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden.
- James Introcaso has a Pay-What-You-Want adventure for D&D called Slime Cave of Norwal.
- Trollish Delver are taking (back) control of Romance of the Perilous Land.
- Wizards of the Coast have updated their freebie page with Icewind and D&D Celebration 2020 goodies.
RPG news from around the web
- Paizo announced the Pathfinder 2 Lost Omens Mwangi Expanse.
- Bell of Lost Souls covers the news that D&D: New Barbarian And Warlock Subclasses Revealed In Celebration Prep Kit.
- Egg Embry talks about the Parselings deck-building TTRPG with publisher Smunchy Games.
- On EN World, Egg also talks to Free League Publishing about Ruins of Symbaroum [5E] – The Promised Land.
- Geek Dad’s Paul Benson looks into Sandy Petersen’s Dark Worlds.
- Geek Dad’s Simon Yule, on the other hand, writes up Icewind Dale Rime of the Frostmaiden – A New ‘D&D’ Adventure in the Frozen North
- Mashable weighs in on Manticore Games with ‘Core’ creator contest with ‘Dungeons & Dragons’ highlights the game’s potential.
- SyFy’s Matt Bassil opines Castle Greyhawk, The Lost Dungeon That Kicked Off Dungeons & Dragons, Still Inspires Players Today.
- Dice Monkey reviews Monsters of Murka.
- Strange Assembly reviews Starship Operations Manual (Starfinder).
- Game Industry News’s Colin Flanigan shared Rolling on Roll20’s Online Role-Playing.
- Comics Beat publishers an interview Jim Zub intertwines comics and tabletop RPG’s with Skullkickers Kickstarter.
- Izegrim Creations shared a preview of Chromatic Dungeons!
- Rex Hadden reviewed The Game Master’s Book of Random Encounters.
- Kobold Press is giving away a set of excellent Scarlet Citadel Wallpapers and has written up Secrets of the Emerald Order: Disciple of the Emerald Esoterica.
- Cubicle 7 have updated Wrath & Glory’s errata file as well as the Age of Sigmar: Soulbound Starter Set.
- Charles Dunwoody interviewed Jason Durall about Chaosium’s Lords of the Middle Sea RPG.
- Goodman Games announced free PDFs for up to seven print books you might have already bought. They also revealed the SF-Marin Food Bank as the Charity Partner for Bride of Cyclops Con.
- Indie Press Revolution are offering 40% off some Exalted books including the $350 Deluxe Third Edition.
- Doug Vehovec suggested you might Fall in Love with Quest by The Adventure Guild for Your Next RPG Campaign.
- Dicebreaker writes up Legendary RPG designer Mike Pondsmith talks about the origins of Cyberpunk at PAX Online x EGX Digital.
- Gavin Sheehan reviews D&D’s Mythic Odysseys of Theros.
- Kim Frandsen of d20Radio reviews The City of the Steam Sun.
RPG new releases
- Monte Cook Games have a new 5e supplement called Beasts of Flesh and Steel.
- Kent David Kelly released Mythic World of Oldskull – Oldskull Warriors.
- Earl of Fife Games has published a Pay What You Want Heroes and Hardship Quickstart Guide.
- Modiphius has published a print version of Black Void: Dark Dealings In The Shaded Souq.
- Modiphius also published a solo adventure Fallout: Wasteland Warfare RPG – The Unexpected Shepherd Part 1.
- Green Ronin have released Modern AGE Missions: Feral Hogs.
- Cubicle 7 have released the PDF version of WFRP: Death on the Reik Companion.
- Magpie Games are taking pre-orders on Cartel.
- Daniel Salcido released Collateral Damage for Roll20.
- Brian Hamilton published Rise of the Genie Lords – Part One for 5e.
RPG ideas, tips and discoveries
- Christian Hoffer points out that Dungeons & Dragons’ New Rules Could Lead to a Golden Age for Mountain Dwarf Characters.
- Lian Nolan tackles some Rime of the Frostmaiden spoilers with Dungeons & Dragons: What Is the Arcane Brotherhood?
- Tor’s Destiny Soria wrote up Three Ways Fantasy Roleplaying Made Me a Better Writer
- CBR’s Brenton Stewart offers Dungeons & Dragons: How to Create Excellent Combat Sessions.
- Anson Brehmer shares Five PC Home Base Tips.
- Dungeon Solvers help with Campaign Prep: The First Session.
- Morten Greis opines The Nature of Secret DOors is to be Found.
You can see those Kickstarters and other crowdfunding campaigns that caught Geek Native’s attention over at Kickstarter watch. Here are some industry projects worth a mention;
- Atomic Ninja Studios is working on a zombie setting for Savage Worlds called Dead End.
- Dicebound have a big hit with Handcrafted, Sharp Edged RPG Dice.
- Goodman Games are Kickstarting Judges Guild Deluxe: Dark Tower, Caverns of Thracia, & More.
- Fez Inkwright and Crow & Crown are funding these Leather and Gold D&D 5e Campaign Journals.
- The Grinning Frog has hit the modest funding goal for Into the Dark – Fantasy RPG Magazine and Adventure.
- Laughing Panda are offering Fancy Pride Stone Polyhedral Dice Sets.
- Massimo Nespoli an OSR set during the American Revolutionary War called Freedom Flag.
- Marc Hobbs has a GMless tabletop story game called Epitaph.
If there’s a source or news you think is worth monitoring, please get in touch or leave a comment below.