This week the timer on Avalon Hill’s new site, a countdown to HeroQuest, hit zero.
Several things happened at once. Firstly, Hasbro announced a new HeroQuest, and that they wanted $1,000,000 pledged on their own crowdfunding platform to make it happen. US and Canadian money only, $100 minimum pledge. 24 hours later; they had hit their goal.
Secondly, Chaosium announced they had given their HeroQuest trademark to Hasbro (sold, more like) and that their HeroQuest RPG would rebrand as QuestWorlds.
October is shaping up to be a busy month, with plenty of high profile Kickstarters in the RPG space either already active or waiting in the wings.
Geek Native Patreons can vote in the RPG Publisher Spotlight for a creator or studio for the blog to highlight next month.
Ready for the news blast? Here it comes!
RPG news from Geek Native
- The HeroQuest RPG is no more; rebranding as QuestWorlds in a Hasbro trademark deal.
- Monolith has an official Batman RPG coming.
- Green Ronin’s romance fantasy RPG Blue Rose is coming to D&D 5e.
- Indie Game Developer Network opens its Diversity Sponsorship for 2020.
- Wizards of the Coast confirm D&D will get three old settings back.
- You can take a look inside D&D’s new Young Adventurer’s Guide Beasts & Behemoths.
- Indie studio In Search of Games gets additional new owners.
- Critical Role wants to make the world a better place with the newly launched Critical Role Foundation.
- The Bundle of Holding has two Gallant Knight TinyD6 deals.
- Meanwhile, Humble Bundle has a huge collection of D&D books with R.A. Salvatore on offer.
- Modiphius Entertainment has a new Star Trek Adventures 2d20 bundle.
- PEG and Odd Bard Games announce the folklore horror Holler RPG.
- Pelgrane Press announced more horror of their own with The Yellow King Bestiary.
- Jetpack7 announced the space fantasy multi-world D&D 5e setting Blackstorm Realms.
- Wildshape is a new virtual tabletop that’s free to download and has impressive 3D map-making functions.
- Grim and Perilous Studios have a free to download intro to their colonial gothic RPG Flames of Freedom.
- Chaosium made last year’s Dragonmeet adventure The Whispering Ruins a free download.
RPG news from around the web
- Cubicle 7 showed us what’s inside the Age of Sigmar: Soulbound Starter Set box and some print samples.
- D&D Celebration 2020 and Extra Life raised $240,000 for charity.
- Tribality’s Brandes Stoddard has a Rime of the Frostmaiden review.
- The Giant Brain reviewed Evil Hat’s Agon.
- At Gnome Stew, Jared Rascher reviewed Sword Chronicle.
- Over at Swords and Stitchery, there’s a review of Ghost Ship.
- James Introcaso will be working full-time for Matt Colville’s MCDM.
- At d20Radio, Egg Embry interviewed Nerdburger Games about Good Strong Hands.
- Then, at EN World, Egg talked to Jim Zub about Skullkickers: Castle Bastards and the Great Grotesque.
- HuffPost’s Jeremy Blum covered the Dungeons & Dragons Panel Offers Advice On Representing Asian Cultures.
- Magpie Games have hired Kate Bullock and Valerie Vallejos.
- Goodman Games donates $1,700 to charity partner SF-Marin Food Bank.
- Matt Jarvis at Dicebreaker writes up Ancient Undead Spider Wizard is a vinyl EP sleeved in a playable tabletop RPG adventure.
- The Manual suggests we could Enjoy an Interactive Audio Game With Starfinder on Amazon Alexa.
- This weekend it’s the Free League Online Showcase.
RPG new releases
- Necrotic Gnome has released Old-School Essentials Classic Fantasy: Rules Tome.
- ENnie-winning MORK BORG is in print.
- Onyx Path publishes Chronicles of Darkness: The Contagion Chronicle.
- Sara Thompson released a Blood Hunter subclass inspired by chronic pain for the combat wheelchair in the shape of the free to download Order of the Syphonic.
- Open Ending Games have released the Against the Darkmaster core rules.
- Free League have hit publish on the Symbaroum – Adventure Pack 4.
RPG ideas, tips and discoveries
- Charles Dunwoody’s world building series continues with Design a Waterborne Wilderness.
- Check out these (D&D 5e stats included) baby elementals.
- A look at some of the stunning tabletop RPG minis you can order via Etsy.
- Screen Rant’s Coleman Gailloreto suggests Must-Play Roleplaying Games That Are “Powered By The Apocalypse”.
- Roll20 blogged about Bringing Evil Hat to their platform.
- Screen Rant’s Zoe Trepanier notes that Icewind Dale’s Character Secrets Feature is Great For All Dungeons and Dragons Campaigns.
- Draconick shares Top 5 mistakes when picking a new system.
- RoleplayingTips offers World-Building in Five Steps.
You can see those Kickstarters and other crowdfunding campaigns that caught Geek Native’s attention over at Kickstarter watch. Here are some industry projects worth a mention;
- Andy Hand is offering a 5e adventure for 3rd level characters with They Came at Night.
- Dusty is working on this fireball dice jar and custom dice.
- Matthew Whiddon has a unique set of cards for 5e. It’s the Tidewood Saga: Itermancy Cards.
- Esper has a 5e book of subclasses and spells. It’s an Emporium of Esoterica.
- EN Publishing have five plug-in locations for 5e with Over the Next Hill.
- Cold Hearth Collective look to expand Trophy Dark with Alchemy.
- Tony Casper is working on a small but mighty D&D 5e book of monsters and lore. It’s The Cosmic Dragon Breviary: A Draconic Compendium for 5e.
- Game developer and journalist Eric Phillips is working on a new gaming system Epic! Game System: Realms of Mana and Stars of Mana.
- Wes Otis has funded Dark Places: TTRPG Horror Audio from Plate Mail Games.
- Jackson Mahler has a new D&D adventure in the shape of Tales of Rolcaria: Dark Trinity – A 5E Setting & Adventure.
- Diego Pisa Artworks are back with another new 5e race; Ice Elves.
If there’s a source or news you think is worth monitoring, please get in touch or leave a comment below.