It’s Friday, and the big news here at Geek Native HQ this that nerdy blogger will soon be on the move. A new apartment has been secured and it’s terrifying.
August maybe a month of disruption as PCs and books are packed, put in a truck, unloaded and then rebuilt on the other side of the harbour.
Hopefully, disruption will be kept to a minimum, and it seems to pale in comparison to the logistics of moving crates of RPG books around to stores, conventions and warehouses!
As it’s a new month the RPG Publisher Spotlight is open for Patreon votes. The candidates for September are;
- Play by Action Gaming
- Sanguine Productions
- Jay Dragon / Possum Creek Games
- Jack Harrison / Mousehole Press
- Starshine Scribbles
The winner for August is Trash Mob Minis.
Also, hopefully, it’s been a good few weeks for Patreons. There’s another gift available in the shape of The Gunblade.
Right, now on to the RPG news!
RPG news from Geek Native
- It’s not common for Kickstarter news to make this section, but Magpie Games’ Avatar Legends Kickstarter became the most successful RPG project in just one day on the platform.
- In potentially huge news, WizKids is getting into sprue-minis and D&D branded paints.
- Webbed Sphere, who own some tabletop retailer brands, supporting eCommerce and logistics functions, have bought the world’s oldest publishing RPG company Flying Buffalo.
- UK Games Expo announced the Award winners for 2021.
- D&D Beyond cancelled an anniversary competition after negative community feedback.
- We got to see how Wizards of the Coast woos influencers when Amy the Amazonian shared their Adventures in Forgotten Realms Magic:TG x D&D pack.
- Highmoon Press is leaving the tabletop RPG business, and there’s an everything must go sale.
- Actor and geek defender, Joe Manganiello hints at a big D&D project.
- Outland Entertainment has acquired the rights for Michael Rookard’s Galefire series for comics and a 5e RPG.
- Geek Native reviewed the Call of Cthulhu scenario At One With Nature.
- I took a look into the hidden dangers of the indie RPG The Unworld Mysteries.
- Also, on the review slate, this week was Through the Veil: Treasure of the Feywild.
- That’s not all, Geek Native also had A Good Death.
- The, finally, Geek Native reviewed XII: Inner Demons.
- The official Earthdawn 4e comes to FoundryVTT.
- The fan-made 5e Spelljammer conversion Wildjammer gets a FoundryVTT module.
- Latinx fantasy comic Helm Greycastle comes bundled with a 5e one-shot set in the same world.
- Chthonstone Games (once Red Box Vancouver) and Lampblack & Brimstone take to the Bundle of Holding with a Dungeon World deal.
Spotlight Trash Mob Minis
RPG news from around the web
- Paizo Publishing revealed a slate of new releases.
- D&D announced charity support for Mermaids.
- The Dungeon Masters Guild revealed they raised over $9,000 for No Kid Hungry.
- Cubicle 7 talked about Victoriana for 5e and the changes they are making.
- Chase Carter wrote up Lancer co-creator’s new post-apocalyptic RPG Icon has a free playtest version that’s worth a look.
- Modiphius pulled the veil off a series of new Star Trek Adventure titles.
- At EN World, Beth Rimmels had a peek inside Beadle & Grimm’s Van Richten’s Guide to Ravenloft Shadowy Silver Edition.
- Wargamer wrote up the news that D&D Beyond will no longer support Unearthed Arcana playtest material.
RPG reviews and interviews from around the web
- Jared Rascher reviewed Star Trek Adventures: Mission Briefs 001-003, Matt Colville’s Kingdoms & Warfare, and the 5e Weird Wastelands.
- Also, Jared published a review of Achtung Cthulhu’s Seventh Inning Slaughter.
- Antonios S reviewed the Warhammer adventure Death on the Reik and Chaosium’s Alone Against the Tide.
- Angel’s Citadel reviewed the silent RPG Alice is Missing.
- The Tabletop Almanac reviewed Osprey Games’ Jackals.
- Refereeing and Reflection reviewed Mage 20’s Technocracy Reloaded.
- Reviews from R’lyeh reviewed Adventure Pack 4 for Symbaroum and Fate of Cthulhu’s The Rise of the Quiet.
- At EN World, Egg Embry reviewed Jon Hodgson of Handiwork Games about a|state.
RPG new releases
- Shewstone Publishing released Magonomia: The RPG of Renaissance Wizardry.
- Modiphius published the 2d20-powered Fallout RPG.
- Travis Legge published the sourcebook for Chronicles of Darkness: Mirrors with Bleeding Edge 2.0.
- Caro Asercion released a fantastical cyberpunk RPG called Dwindle.
- Nightpath Publishing continues cyberpunk adventures with Entromancy: The Orichite Age Omnibus.
- Name Your Own Price for this lbonnette’s Cosmic Cowboy Cats RPG>
- Jeroon has a Pay What You want to enhance your current RPG with more Snails. Really.
- Pegasus Press put the Talisman Adventures RPG together with The Briar Rose.
- Lenmos released the Dracodex – The Codex of Dragons for 5e.
- Matara has made the Beta version of the crystalpunk fantasy Megalos available.
- Stygian Fox published an anthology of modern-day Call of Cthulhu scenarios with Occam’s Razor.
RPG bundle deals
- Save $10.95 (30%) with the Miskatonic Repository Classical Era Collection.
- Save $2 (14%) with von Braus publishing’s Dungeoneers with Companions bundle.
RPG ideas, tips and discoveries
- Do you know the phrase “The Wangrod Defence” and how it applies to RPGs?
- The historical-leaning RPG Fragments of the Past has a free to download quickstart.
- Broken Wood Gift’s dice tower tray is impressive.
- Nerdarchy blogged Advancing Your 5e D&D Franchise with Acquisitions Incorporated.
- On C|Net Steph Panecasio revealed that I hate Zoom trivia so much that I became a D&D Dungeon Master.
- Linda Whitson shared insight on Etiquette & Protocol – TTRPG Safety Toolkit.
- Vice’s Tim Fraanje found out that When Drag Meets Dungeons & Dragons, Magic Happens.
You can see those Kickstarters and other crowdfunding campaigns that caught Geek Native’s attention over at Kickstarter watch. Here are some industry projects worth a mention;
- Lloyd Metcalf has funded an introductory Swords & Wizardry and 5e adventure with floofy familiars trying to save a swamp. FloofQuest – Hassle in the Quagmire – 5e, Swords & Wizardry
- Michael Anthony DeAnda is creating a single-player RPG about customer service and the apocalypse. It’s Golden Mart.
- Evil Pigeon Games has funded a fantasy black market where you can buy anything, and its suitable for any RPG. It’s The Night Market.
- Racing towards NZ$40K is the Modular Realms Magnetic Terrain – Relaunch!
- Dog Might Games are back on Kickstarter with these silver enamled inlayed Accursed GM Screen Collection.
- Arkhaane – Enjoy and Share Unlimited Homebrew DnD Content
- Unique dice that look at you from Spidermind Games. They are Dragon Eye Dice – The Chromatic Dragon Collection.
- Danny Herrero has a new Lost Adventures 5e supplement and STL offering. It’s the Uncharted Lands: Book & STL Collection.
- Elysian Assembly has a set of characters and dioramas with The Hybrids – STL files for 3d Printing.
- Aaron Prior is funding a location supplement for 5e with The Wailing Fen.
- Free League Publishing has another smash hit on their hands with the Forbidden Lands RPG – Book of Beasts and The Bloodmarch.
- Old Raging Barbarian has crazy OSR rules for The Death Race.
- Mystic.Realm is offering printable Mystic-Realm’s QDS: Quick Dungeon System 3d Tabletop Terrain.
- Designer dice in the shape of Dicebound Volume 2: Sharp Edge & Classic RPG Dice.
- Realmwarp Media are funding a rogue-like horror for 5e 2nd tier adventurers and a Night at Bloodmoon Cairn.
- Tribal Craft Studio have funded real Handcrafted Buffalo Magic Horn Dice.
- Toogs has a collection of original art, stats, models and content with Homebrew D&D Monsters with their own 3D minis and 2D tokens!
- Josh Rottman has OSR meets new in a hardcore and story-driven Neoclassical Geek Revival – Acidic Edition
- Brittannia Games has smashed goals for their Chivalry & Sorcery European Folklore Bestiary.
- Shawn Carman has a set of sourcebooks for Thunderscape, Tiny Legacies and Infinity’s Edge with A Trio of Tabletop Tomes!
- Jason Very is funding a sourcebook for Night Shift: VSW with spells, classes, magic and options in The Night Companion.
- MWRP 3D Designs & Printing have custom DM screens, dice towers and more for 3D printing with Styling your table.
- Christian Eichhorn offers classes, proficiencies, encounters and death locations in Purgatory | A Mörk Borg Supplement.
- Hexy Studio has printable, ready to play 5e encounters, with pre-supported modules. It’s a campaign for Instant Encounters 5E – RPG Module (PDF & STL 3D miniatures).
- 2CGaming have raised tens of thousands for the Epic Legacy Hero’s Handbook.
If there’s a source or news you think is worth monitoring, please get in touch or leave a comment below.