For many of us, it’s the end of the week, but this is also the first Routinely Itemised: RPG news summary of the month.
That means the RPG Publisher Spotlight Poll is open for October.
The Spotlight poll is where Geek Native patrons can vote on which publisher or indie creator gets an article on the blog this month.
Did you know you can always jump to the most recent edition of Routinely Itemised by using the Resources menu at then selecting Latest TTRPG news summary?
Ready for the news blast? Here it comes!
Win 6 Nimmt!
RPG news from Geek Native
- D&D announces the Dungeon Master’s Screen: Wilderness Kit.
- Wizards of the Coast are bringing D&D’s the Forgotten Realms to Magic: The Gathering.
- The schedule for D&D Celebration 2020 is out.
- Applications are open again for micro-grants and help at the Tabletop Mentorship Program.
- Virtual tabletop Tarrasque launches in private beta.
- Designer Sara Thompson suggests that her iconic combat wheelchair is coming to many RPGs.
- A new convention for 3rd party Call of Cthulhu designers called Miskatonic Repository launches.
- Indie retailer Jim Likes Games suspends retail operations.
- Beam Saber RPG launches a 3rd-party content program called Supply Drop.
- Astral Tabletop gets integrated into DriveThruRPG’s marketplace.
- The McEloys persuade their publisher to increase payments to illustrators.
- Dream Pod 9 place a host of Jovian Chronicles in the Bundle of Holding.
- To celebrate the second anniversary of Savage Worlds Adventurer’s Guild, a group of creators built SWAGtember II: Creator’s Bundle.
- There’s $644 worth of OSR goodies from Frog God Games in this Humble Bundle.
- The Grinning Frog gives Geek Native a good look at Abracadabra: A Guide to Becoming a Magical Games Master art.
- Geek Native talks to Code of Light Studios about Light Strikers.
- The Dead Milkmen, a punk band, will publish a D&D adventure called Lost Tomb of the Bitchin’ Chimera.
- RPG or interactive comic? It’s Lovecraft World.
- Geek Native has two chunky art galleries from Weird Tales Magazine’s Pandemonium Noir.
- Geek Native reviewed Matt Forbeck and Robert J Schwalb’s Shotguns and Sorcery RPG.
- Is this the future of virtual hex maps?.
- The Afropunk D&D campaign setting The Wagadu Chronicles is free to download.
- An indie RPG designer printed a whole post-hookup game on the side of a coffee mug.
RPG news from around the web
- Paizo have published a trailer for Starfinder: Devastation Ark Adventure Path Trailer.
- Paizo has also shared that they are working on updating their cartography assets for virtual tabletops.
- The formidable Andreessen Horowitz have shared their thoughts on The Digital Future of Tabletop Games.
- IGN has an exclusive early look inside Rime of the Frostmaiden.
- Although it’s not clear how exclusive that look at the Icewind Dale supplement was given that The Gaming Gang also had a page-through video.
- Dicebreaker has a preview of Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything.
- Wired writes up that Dungeons & Dragons TikTok Is Gen Z at Its Most Wholesome.
- Dicebreaker digs into Pelgrane Press’ two player The Paragon Blade RPG.
- Cubicle 7 have revealed the Ogryn Warrior from Wrath & Glory: Forsaken System Art.
- Jared Carvalho at GameRant has written up about the D&D 5e Mod Let Players Go on Pokemon Adventures.
- Antonios S has given RPG.net a review of The Bitter Reach Bundle.
- Bleeding Cool’s Gavin Sheehan reviewed D&D: Explorer’s Guide to Wildemount.
- Dave Pierson from the Roleplayers Chronicle has reviewed Mythic Odysseys of Theros.
- Throat Punch Games reviewed the Pip System Corebook by Eloy Lasanta.
- D&D Beyond has a 15% off sale for Labour Day.
- RPG.net has a new forum policy that prohibits comparing people to fantasy races.
RPG new releases
- Sven Truckenbrodt has a 5e product called YEET! A Guide to Throwing.
- Arion Games has launched a new Fighting Fantasy zine in the shape of The Warlock Returns.
- Long Games have released “Travel Editions” of Coffee Shop Screenwriter and 24 Hour Crime Scene.
- Quality Games’ has published Lex Arcana RPG Aegyptus.
- Green Ronin have released part four of Five and Infinity: Midnight Gold.
- Darklight Interactive has published Witness Protection: A DnD 5E Side Trek Adventure.
- Benjamin L. Eastman and Matt Dunn might tempt you with a Baby Tarrasque!
- MrReciprocity has published a mini sci-fi RPG Petitioners of Zed.
- Richard Woolcock has published a six-page crossover mini-setting for Sage of the Goblin Horde and Wiseguy’s called The Gobfather.
RPG ideas, tips and discoveries
- Check out this quirky dice and mini container. How quirky? It’s the Holy Hand Grenade.
- Defeat jargon and know the answer to What is a Goolock?
- Classic D&D art on the side of crossbody bag.
- A complex, thorough and entirely unofficial Jurrasic Park RPG.
- Sword and Stitchery shares 1d10 Random Weird Encounters Table For Your Old School Campaigns.
- The Gauntlet Blog has been reviewing the History of Licensed RPGs. You can start at 2000 and work backwards.
- Tribality’s Kevin Victor Rae has shared How to Create A Compelling Villain.
- Evil Hat has a series of articles about how to get the most from FATE on Roll20.
- Nicholas Montegriffo offers up How to make a great dungeon for Dungeons & Dragons 5E.
- Jonathan and Beth Ball from Kobold Press write up One-on-One Roleplaying: How to Scale Combat.
You can see those Kickstarters and other crowdfunding campaigns that caught Geek Native’s attention over at Kickstarter watch. Here are some industry projects worth a mention;
- EN Publishing are back on Kickstarter with 65 Enchanted Trinkets for D&D 5th Edition.
- Arcane Ink Publishing has a steampunk RPG in the shape of Titanholm.
- Diego Pisa Artworks has a nightmare encounter for your players with Vengeance Stalker!
- The Wanderer is creating a new high-fantasy setting for Pathfinder 1st edition called Iugon, The Grand Cross of Four.
- Nathaly Aupin is Kickstarting a collection of new kinds of RPG maps with Most Amazing RPG Maps.
- Michael Grayson S hs another 100+ adventure module for you with The Palace of 1001 Rooms, Chapter Two.
- Jeremy M. Jack has characters from across the Cosmos trapped on a single planet. It’s the sci-fi/fantasy RPG of Planetbound.
- James Streissand is working on an airship focused supplement for Pathfinder 2nd edition called Trails Through the Skies.
- Skeeter Green is Kickstarting a DCC and MCC module called Crypt of the Science-Wizard.
- The RPG Academy is taking AcadeCon 2020 online and to support that is Kickstarting Ready Player Characters.
- BPB Games has 53 original and non-appropriative creatures in the Deck of Monsters for Monster of the Week.
- Dice Dungeons have a system to help track what’s going on in-game via the miniatures on your tabletop with Condition Coins.
- Yellow Madhouse has smashed their targets for a Slavic folklore-inspired D&D 5e adventure called The Devil’s Bridge.
- Leighton Connor, the co-creator of Leopard Women of Venus, is back with Laser Ponies: An RPG for Everybody.
- Newt Newport funded a d100 RPG in hours. It’s OpenQuest 3rd Edition.
- Theorycraft want to help optimise characters with this Character Development Planner.
- Athelen Publishing has a d20 tabletop with locational combat and sorcery points called Fires of Athelen.
- Jason DM has a collection of 5e contracts with Bounty Hunts Vol 1.
- Gallant Knight Games have backed 330 Kickstarters and are now raising funds for the second edition of their grimdark fantasy For Coin & Blood.
If there’s a source or news you think is worth monitoring, please get in touch or leave a comment below.