Hail traveller and well met. Please sit down, pull up a seat by the fire and relax.
You’ve found Routinely Itemised: RPGs and this is a weekly RPG news round-up.
International GM’s Day was this week (4th March) and, as ever, there’s a big sale on at DTRPG to mark it.
It’s also the start of a new month, and this means Geek Native’s Patrons can take part in the Publisher Spotlight vote. There are five publishers in the shortlist for April.
- The Forge Studios
- Morningstar Productions
- Steve Bean Games
- Splintered Realms Publishing
- Sittingcow Games
Have we made it a week without a leak from D&D? Nope.
Right, let’s get on with our weekly RPG news round-up!
RPG news from Geek Native
- The 5e powered Stargate RPG is open for public playtesting.
- D&D announced a new setting but only after it leaked. It’s the Mythic Odysseys of Theros which makes it the second-ever Magic: The Gathering crossover. This cinematic for the most recent M:tG expansion for it is pretty creepy!
- In time for the new Amazon show, Free League Publishing now has a Takes from the Loop RPG starter kit.
- Renegade announced a Kids on Bikes powered RPG for Junior Braves Survival Guide to the Apocalypse.
- The new owners of Free RPG Day announced their 2020 partners.
- Roll20 hit 5,000,000 subscribers and announced an updated dynamic lighting system.
- Ben Milton and River Horse’s Jim Henson’s Labyrinth: The Adventure Game is out.
- The first slivers of information have been revealed for Modiphius’ Dune RPG.
- Robert J. Schwalb’s mature-rated Punkapocalytpic: The Roleplaying Game can now be bought from DriveThruRPG.
- Geek Native reviewed the Cthulhu and Dungeons & Dragons crossover that is Whispers in the Dark.
- R. Talsorian Games shot out a small but powerful update for The Witcher RPG with this crossbows update.
- You could win £100 by playing the audio RPG Void Warper with Alexa.
RPG news from around the web
- Monte Cook Games released Voices of the Datasphere.
- Grim & Perilous Studios is parting ways with the Tetsubo RPG project.
- Green Ronin Publishing is taking pre-orders for Fantasy AGE Lairs.
- Paizo Publishing has revealed a (GMs to review before plays watch) video about Starfinder’s The Unseen and the Neidr Nine. Meanwhile, Adam Daigle shared this Badlands ambush for Pathfinder players.
- Over at the Bell of Lost Souls, J.R. Zambrano took a look at Cyberpunk Red’s new miniatures.
- Sara Elsam at Dicebreakers landed an exclusive look at Cyberpunk Red’s cover art.
- Cubicle 7 showed some more Soulbound art.
- Wizkids have revealed their Starfinder minis in starter packs.
- EN World wrote up D&D Beyond’s most popular magic items.
- Covid-19 has resulted in cancellations and dropouts from The GAMA Trade Show and Emerald City Comic-Con.
RPG ideas, tips and discoveries
- Elderwood Academy have a dice tray that is held together by magnets.
- Looking for adventure? How about Nearly 5,000 searchable D&D adventures?
- Doug Vehovec put together Top 10 5E D&D Homebrew Illusion Spells by a Factor of Three.
- Dungeon Goblin shared How to Make a D&D Map.
- Brandes Stoddard discussed D&D 5e: Goblins with Subraces.
- Matthew Rossi wrote up a D&D article for Blizzard Watch with How to deal with character death in Dungeons & Dragons.
- Comic Book’s Christian Hoffer put together the helpful Anatomy of a D&D Campaign: When a Boss Fight Goes Terribly Right.
- RJD20 chipped in with How to Run Allies in D&D.
You can see those Kickstarters and other crowdfunding campaigns that caught Geek Native’s attention over at Kickstarter watch. Here are some industry projects worth a mention;
The RPG Zine season is beginning to fade… so while this list is longer than usual, it’s not the same mega-list as in recent weeks.
- Autarch has collected over ten thousand bucks for a new superpowered RPG of infinite possibilities called Ascendant.
- Ex-WotC writer, Matt Nicl has over 200 reimagined and unique races for 5e in Tales of Arcana Race Guide
- Griffon Lore Games is Kickstarter a fantasy campaign setting where feudal intrigue is precipitating war in the Kingdom of Lothmar.
- Kris McDermott has 30 modular digital maps for RPG settings before, during and after a tsunami in the shape of Meanders 4: Tsunami.
- GMD Online has a new universal roleplaying game called GMD Core.
- Dragon Templ8 is Kickstarting this towering ARTIFACTS DM screen and dice tower.
- Calvin Jones has an RPG Zine for improv-friendly groups called Kingpink: Darkness.
- David Cox has an RPG Zine where you play a bunch of garbage stealing animals. It’s Eat Trash. Be Free.
- Andrea Novoa is offering a system-agnostic collection of weird insects for your RPG called The Insectiary.
- Tom Scutt’s RPG Zine is about how to play 5e D&D adventures solo. It’s DM Yourself.
- Riverhouse Games has a kaleidoscopic rogue-like dungeon crawl in RPG Zine shape form called The Treasure at the End of this Dungeon.
- Gray Wizard Studios is funding an RPG Zine of wondrous magic, rampaging horrors and a world teetering on edge in the shape of Evergarde.
- Erik Jensen is crowdfunding a micro-setting that features lumberjacks versus sasquatches called Lumberlands: a Wampus Country rpg zine.
- Jonathan Young is raising money for an RPG Zine in which intelligent rodents are part of post-apocalyptic fantasy. It’s Crawlspace.
- James Neumeister is working on a game that features sock puppets, danger and imagination. It can only be Stitches and Stuffing: Lost Soles.
- R. A. Mitchard has a system-neutral RPG Zine packed with strange and inter-dimensional characters. Denizens of Araknathuk: the RPG Zine of Strange NPCs.
- Serena Abraham has an RPG Zine in which internet personalities are tossed back to the 90s web. It’s Viral.exe.
- Michael W Carpenter is working on a tiny tabletop RPG in which words are magic. Call it Numinous: A rip-pages-out-of-your-dictionary RPG.
- Myrylielie has an RPG zine inspired by East European folk and fairy tales in the shape of The Lost Tale.
- Thomas Liles is crowdfunding a tabletop RPG inspired by atomic age science fiction and the Napoleonic Wars. It’s Shadow of Mogg – A Post-Brexit RPG Zine.
- Thieves Games are working on a fast-paced pen and paper game where of Gnome’s success is based on courage and a roll of the dice. It’s Agnomely.
- Christen Hauenstein is collecting money to make more Dragon Hide Gaming Gear.
- Ryan Wolfe has funded a Starfinder or other sci-fi RPGs spaceship map and mini called Cervantes.
- Steve Hampson is collecting funds for The Tabletop Games KickStarter Quarterly Report Spring 2020.
- Eva Brown is Kickstarting a collection of modular rules to augment D&D with Hidden Oddities: A Guide to Survival.
- Phil Stone has funded The Complete Illustration Book of Evocation.
- 2 Old Guy Games are working on a multi-themed nautical 0-level funnel for use with the DCC RPG from Goodman Games called The Salty Funnel.
- MiniForge are collecting funds for a custom campaign setting for 5e called Enchanted forest of Aristok.
- Adam Bilodeau is Kickstarting a comprehensive and scalable RPG for all systems. There’s a free beta PDF available for Dice & Capital Dice.
- Ty Hulse is working on a book that will use mythology to help understand gods of old and include them in your campaign. It’s called Gods from Mythology for D&D 5e and Pathfinder.
- Necromancer Games has a 5e weird fantasy setting Kickstarting called Midderlands.
- Darrin Anderson has funded fantasy pewter miniatures for tabletop RPGs with a project called Dalreth.
- There’s a new SideQuests adventure for 5e called The Dragon Shrine of Ka’shaar.
- Limitless Adventures have a different offering with Limitless Side Quests.
- J. Evans Payne has the definitive, revised and updated edition of the mega-adventure for D&D and Pathfinder in the shape of Dark Obelisk 1: Berinncorte.
Gamerati News Update
Looking at the Free League Workshop, Marcelo Ferrari of Gamerati again returns with a short video summary of tabletop game news from last week. There are 100 feet of scrolling dungeon for your table to look at.
If there’s a source or news you think is worth monitoring, please get in touch or leave a comment below.