Righty-ho, this will be a slightly differently shaped Routinely Itemised RPG news summary.
Why? I’ve moved. Therefore Geek Native HQ also moved, and too much of this week was spent offline. Today’s summary is written while surrounded by boxes and not all the RPGs in the collection back on the shelves.
Perhaps it’s just me being sensitive, but I think there’s been no shortage of time-sensitive stories. A case in point is the RuneQuest mobile game deal which had hours left on the clock by the time I got to it.
The most important news, though, is the passing of Steve Perrin of Chaosium. On reflection, he feels like one of the unsung heroes of the hobby.
Looking to the near future, the RPG news of Routinely Itemised should return to normal, as will Geek Native’s postings, providing a new routine establishes itself. Oh, and don’t even tempt me to look at work email before returning to duty on Monday! Scary.
Right, now on to that promised RPG news!
RPG news from Geek Native
- The first of the ENnie 2021 winners have been announced with the Judges’ Awards and then the other nominees. Early votes were spoiled, so if you jumped on this, you might need to vote again.
- Despite the HQ move, Geek Native found time to write up the solo RPG framework for Star Trek and other sci-fi RPGs with Starlogs.
- The 1976 edition of the sci-fi RPG Metamorphosis Alpha is on the Bundle of Holding.
Spotlight Trash Mob Minis
RPG news from around the web
- Sadly, Steve Perrin, one of the RPG world’s greatest, passed away.
- Green Ronin will publish a printed edition of Robert J. Schwalb’s The Book of Fiends.
- A bundle (still live) of over 127 classic D&D modules on eBay is set to raise about $3,000 for charity.
- WizKids is busy with new ranges and the latest is a Tal’Dorei / Critical Role set.
- Dragonlance’s Tracy Hickman has confirmed that a new adventure, co-written by Laura Hickman is coming.
- Paizo’s Starfinder playtest for the Evolutionist is now open.
- Paizo also gave us a series of meet the author posts; with one set and then another.
- Talislanta 5e is slated for Kickstarter and, in the meantime, the entire back catalogue is free to download.
- Asmodee, CMON and Guillotine Games will release Zombicide Chronicles: The Roleplaying Game.
- Dicebreaker noted Dune RPG lets players harvest spice on the surface of Arrakis in upcoming sourcebook Sand and Dust.
- Modiphius also confirmed the release date for the Achtung! Cthulhu 2d20 print editions.
- The Starfinder Society previewed two new missions.
- The Committee for the Advancement of Role-Playing Games published the August newsletter.
- Steve Jackson Games hit over 100 books on GURPS on Demand.
- Tenkar reports that TSR (3) has abandoned their claim of the Blackmoor trademark.
RPG reviews and interviews from around the web
- Antonios S reviewed Cubicle 7’s Age of Sigmar: Soulbound Champions of Order and the Warhammer Fantasy (4e) Archives of the Empire Volume I.
- Third Coast Reviews did their thing with Colonial Marines Operations Manual.
- Endzeitgeist reviewed the 5e Vathak Adventures: The Shrine of St. Mina of the Dust and Vathak Times.
- Signals from Delta Pavonis shared first impressions of the systems agnostic horror Svalbard.
- Rock Paper Shotgun, normally into PC games, noticed the fan-made Destiny TTRPG.
- Halfway Station 3.0 reviewed The Return of the Lazy Dungeon Master.
- At the Gaming Gang, Sami Yuhas asked Should You Fall In for Fallout? Fallout: The Roleplaying Game Reviewed and also No Trouble for Beginning GMs: Pathfinder – Troubles in Otari Reviewed.
- Polaroids & Polar Bears reviewed Adventures in the Imperium, A comprehensive book for fans and newbies alike.
- How Heavy This Axe looked at the old school Beyond the Wall.
- Reviews from R’lyeh took a look at Call of Cthulhu 7e’s solitaire adventure Alone Against The Frost.
- Angel’s Citadel reviewed the FATE Core edition of the transhuman sci-fi Mindjammer.
- Charles Dunwoody interviewed JM about the Elemental RPG and Its Continual Free Support.
RPG new releases
- Free League Publishing released the Alien RPG: Colonial Marines Operations Manual.
- Modiphius’ updated their store with Conan: Kull of Atlantis.
- New to Itch.io is the very good but previously published elsewhere The Elephant and Macaw Banner.
- Adrian Lumn published the horror RPG Evil Risen.
- Fantasy Grounds picked up the Pathfinder for Savage Worlds core rules.
- Fantasy Grounds also got the Pathfinder 2e adventure: Malevolence.
- Spilled Ale Studios released the post-apocalyptic and/or modern era supplement Wasteland Wheels (5e).
- MediaStream Press released the 5e or d20 adventure Armageddon’s Armory.
- After a successful Kickstarter to bring the game from Japan, Silver Vine Publishing released Floria: The Verdant Way.
- Cubicle 7 released the “Space Hulk supplement” for Wrath & Glory with Redacted Records.
- Another successful Kickstarter, with the paint still fresh, as Xavid makes good and publishes Dreampunk.
- Menagerie Press has released the Savage Worlds powered Neo-Tokyo: A Future Shock Adventure.
- Fat Goblin Games has released the TinyD6 Stranger Stuff: Camp Hope.
- Zadmar Games published the pico-cost Horrible Henchmen.
RPG bundle deals
- Save $9.24 (32%) with the Modern Era Scenario Bundle 2021 on DTRPG.
- Save $3.00 (17%) with the DMs Guild’s Azailia’s Archive bundle.
- Save $3.00 (38%) with the All in One Template Pack Books bundle from Figu Design.
RPG ideas, tips and discoveries
- “Official” DC character sheet stats for superheroes in the forthcoming Dark Knights of Steel comic book series.
- Angel’s Citadel offered up Running a Sandbox Game.
- Egg Embry asked a question Geek Native also pondered; Will Avatar Legends Change Tabletop RPG Forever?.
- Writing for Moms.com, Ashley Wehrli noted How Teens Are Using ‘Dungeons & Dragons’ To Treat Mental Health.
- Wargamer announced Warhammer 40k RPG Wrath & Glory’s Space Hulk expansion is here.
You can see those Kickstarters and other crowdfunding campaigns that caught Geek Native’s attention over at Kickstarter watch. Here are some industry projects worth a mention;
- Scott Taylor’s 60th Kickstarter is for 1e and 5e Complete Folio: Black Label.
- Following on from last year’s success, John and friends offer more STL files for RPG minis in Bones and Portals : VOL II.
- Diego Pisa Artworks have funded a spectral adventure for D&D’s 5e system with My Dear Bride Fifth Edition Version.
- Mark Evans a freelance model maker has also funded a set of Wild West 28mm Miniatures.
- Jim Pinto and Postworld Games have smashed goals for a GMless supernatural horror RPG. It’s Protocol Squared: Eons
- Another set of STIL files with Legion of Fire by Yedharo Models 3D Printing Miniatures STL.
- Fearnor Forge is trying again, relaunching their STL campaign with A Troll’s tale – Reforged.
- Sync Ratio Systems also has a set of STL files, this time 2377 different mini base designs. It’s the Where Legends Stand Relaunch.
- Skirmisher Publishing has only their third Kickstarter, and it suits characters at level 4. It’s At the Shrine of Othrys (An Adventure for D&D 5E).
- The Grinning Frog offers up unique 5e items with backstories, reputation and power changes based on condition in a campaign for Vastral’s Guide to Magical Oddities for 5e – reprint.
- Jason Vanhee has funded an RPG with neither dice nor GM. It’s about bad people who’ve done bad things, it’s Strange Hills.
- Darkraven Games has 26 hours of audio for you in the Ravensburg – RPG Fantasy City Sound – Virtual Gaming Ed.
- The Easy Roller Dice Company has smashes the 10K mark by tempting gamers with Heroic Dice Of Metallic Luster.
- Mythic Nation is back on Kickstarter with more detailed, large and metal Goliath Coins – RPG Characters and Monsters.
- The 12 campaigns in 12 months project is going strong as Chamomile funds Harlequin’s Guide to Cities and Poison.
- 1d10+5 offers an engine of lonesome death with Sölitary Defilement: Solo resources for MÖRK BORG.
- FireLit Knight Games is funding modular cavern battle maps that can be rearranged in any order to build a Cavern Crawler.
- Joseph Bingaman is hoping to fund a campaign setting for Old-School Roleplaying Games with J. Halk Games Presents: The World of Durmin.
- The Alchemist Circle is offering a personal hexagonal dice tray system with The Crusader’s Kit and Backpack Essentials
- Ted Gilbert has a TTRPG where players map a town and create a gang to defend it from supernatural threats. Just Don’t Tell Mom & Dad.
- Jason DM has funded 10 adventures with Criminal Contracts For D&D 5E.
If there’s a source or news you think is worth monitoring, please get in touch or leave a comment below.