RPG news all summarised into handy bullet-point lists. That’s the name of the game in this Friday’s Routinely Itemised.
Let’s start with some Geek Native news. As it’s the start of the month, the Patreon poll to vote an indie publisher into the Spotlight is open.
Time has nearly run out on the dice bag freebie too.
Speaking about money, I know this time of the year can get expensive. With that in mind, I’d like to point out the ever-growing free to download tag on the site. If I spot an RPG freebie and write it up, it gets this tag where it can easily be found.
It’s not quite RPG news, but it’s worth knowing that Warhammer stores (Games Workshop and retailers) are giving free models (witch elves) to people who pop in (while their stocks last).
Lastly, here’s a random plug for Geek Native’s social media channels as another way to keep an eye on the site.
Right, now on with the RPG news!
RPG news from Geek Native
- Wizards of the Coast is selling unique D&D items to raise money for Extra Life.
- WotC are also giving away free download scans of D&D’s old Wrath of the Immortals.
- Osprey Games will publish John-Matthew DeFoggi’s bronze age fantasy RPG Jackals.
- Ex Stasis Games is a new company from two industry veterans, and their first game will be Caverns of the Wise Minister.
- Anime-up your D&D with Codex Fantasia: Dominus Duodecim.
- Catalyst Game Labs will release more Shadowrun 6e content with Slip Streams and Gun Rack.
- Pinnacle Entertainment updated Savage Worlds Adventure Edition with some tweaks to the RPG’s errata.
- Kevin Parson wrote rules for speedy D&D-style play and solo gaming in D20 Go.
- Modiphius expanded their skirmish game with solo-RPGish style rules in Into the Wasteland.
- The Bundle of Holding is offering deals on the Worldbuilder’s Toolkit 7.
- Tommie Cobb has a free to download Naruto 5e.
- The virtual tabletop Foundry now has an official Warhammer module.
- Fantasy Grounds Unity, another virtual tabletop, officially released this week.
- Geek Native reviewed Against the Darkmaster.
RPG news from around the web
- Cubicle 7 announced the Age of Sigmar: Soulbound adventure Rotten to the Core.
- R. Talsorian Games’ Cyberpunk RED is sticking to its current release date, and the publisher has blogged about how the cyberpunk economy works.
- Paizo Publishing announced that the Starfinder precog playtest is coming soon.
- Astral Tabletop, a Roll20 challenger, added the Call of Cthulhu Quickstart module.
- Matt Jarvis can confirm that the Free League version of The One Ring RPG will be a “proper 2e” releasing in 2021.
- IGN was able to publish the Contents Page and a good look at Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything.
- Christian Hoffer points out that Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything will bring back the Mighty Servant of Leuk-O.
- The Guardian’s Payal Dhar argues It’s time for fantasy fiction and role-playing games to shed their racist history.
- Justin Halliday announced that Hero Kids will upgrade to full colour for all Hero and Monster Cards.
- Gamenomicon released the GM-less The Collapse.
- TC Sottek announced The Adventure Guild’s plans for the Quest RPG.
- Will Uhl published the horror RPG The Walls Will Swallow You.
RPG reviews and interviews from around the web
- Rob Wieland reviewed Low Fantasy Gaming.
- Swords & Stitchery reviewed Crimson Blades 2.
- Gnome Stew’s Jared Rascher reviewed Rebel Crown.
- J.R. Zambrano reviews Beadle & Grimm’s Rime of the Frostmaiden edition.
- Jeff McAleer reviews Paizo’s Agents of Edgewatch Sixty Feet Under.
- Jynx001 at Obsidian Portal reviews Blackstorm Realms.
- Linda Hamilton reviews Mutants & Mastermind’s Superteam Handbook.
- Sami Yuhas reviewed the Call of Cthulhu Malleus Monstorum.
- The Other Side reviewed the 5e-powered Witchcraft: Magic of Hereva.
- Egg Embry interviewed April Kit Walsh about Thirsty Sword Lesbians.
- Meanwhile, at d20radio Egg interviewed Chris O’Neill and Adriel Wilson about The Excellents RPG.
- Ever busy, over at High Level Games, Egg interviews Lynne Hardy about The Children of Fear.
RPG new releases
- James Lennox-Gordon released the lo-fi hi-fantasy 1400 Quest.
- Cryptwright Publishing pushed their ultimate Thanksgiving campaign with Wickerjack: Harvest Extravaganza.
- Troll Lord Games published Castles & Crusades M2 The Ebon Staff.
- Atomic Ninja Studios released the Savage Worlds powered Dead End
- Cubicle 7 published Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Soulbound Shadows in The Mist: Anvilgard City Guide.
- Escape Box Games released Suited Themes: Prehysteria Island
- Weremammoth published the sci-fi NBA game of G.O.A.T.
RPG ideas, tips and discoveries
- Charles Dunwoody begins Mythos World and helps with Call of Cthulhu rules, adventures and setting.
- Ben Jackson-Ellery turns the dial on the connection between players and characters in Character Study.
- Gamer humour around unusual monster concerns.
- An art attack of RPG character class packs.
- Rolo asks, What is a person, really?
- Check out Andre Muller’s human rolling dice.
- Two deadly cool skull d6.
- Alesmiter wrote up Free Building Plans Resources.
- Kobold Press gave us some Tome of Beasts 2 wallpapers.
- Screen Rant’s Alexandria Turney tackles some D&D lore and answers Who is Tasha?
- Campaign Mastery digs into the unexpected with The Curse of Excess Prep Time.
- Dungeon Solvers offer some helpful advice with Random Encounters – Making Travel Engaging
- Christian Hoffer of ComicBook notes Dungeons & Dragons’ Next Book Drops Another Spelljammer Tease.
- Michael Tresca wrote up The Horror! of a Game That Never Ends
- Beth and Jonathan of Kobold Press look at Running a One-on-One Session as Part of Your Group Game.
- Phil Vecchione looked at Not to Kill: Non Lethal Options in Combat.
- Charles Dunwoody gave us The Horror! Call of Cthulhu One Shot One Kill.
You can see those Kickstarters and other crowdfunding campaigns that caught Geek Native’s attention over at Kickstarter watch. Here are some industry projects worth a mention;
- SkeletonKey Games has a third-party campaign for Mork Borg with the fierce The Masticator Gate.
- Phil Reed also has a Mork Borg project in the shape of Strange Citizens of the City.
- Alan Trucker has a book of art-inspired Incredible Creatures for 5e.
- Riot Fae is putting dice in D20 soap.
- Tarot-inspired storytelling with Dungeons on a Dime’s Vice & Virtue.
- Good Ideas… are crowdfunding 4 hooks and plots.
- Lion Banner Games have some good looking Neon Nights – Cyberpunk Battlemaps.
- Daily Dice are working on some beer-themed RPG dice.
- Midnight Tower, a micro-publisher in Oxford, has a hit on their hands with the Edgar Allan Poe inspired Before The Stroke of Midnight.
- Balding Beaver is working on a 5e adventure called The Penumbral’s Finest.
- Best out of Five Games have funded their RPG zine Nuclear Winter Wonderland.
- Geoff Bottone has a sci-fi RPG offering adventure, discovery and teamwork called Boldly Go!.
- Shaun M Vale is working on 120-paged 5e adventure set in The Eastmere Lands.
- Limitless Adventures has a 5e modern horror adventure set in 1983 called 5th Evolution: Camp Timberwolf.
- Eric Smith is working on a 12-part series combining different mythologies in Death of Divinity: Riches of Andvari.
- EndGame Gaming will publish a surrealistic horror gamebook What Dreams May Come.
- Tim Krause is working on a 5e Christmas adventure for D&D with Terror at Weihnachten.
- Illustrator Swen Harder will release an English version of Metal Heroes and the Fate of Rock.
If there’s a source or news you think is worth monitoring, please get in touch or leave a comment below.