It’s April’s Fools.
I’ve tried my best not to include any pranks in this news summary. I am stupid, though, and may have been tricked. I don’t think so…
That means R. Talsorian Games’ 640-page Elias von Drexel’s Treatise on the Lost Arts of Witchery with the Trout school of Witchers, Aardvark, Mule and Snail isn’t included despite there actually being a download teaser for it with rules (non-cannon) that you can use.
That also means Geek Native’s Patrons have a new RPG Publisher Spotlight poll to vote in.
The candidates are;
Who won the April title? That honour goes to Outland Arts, not to be confused with Outland Entertainment. Don’t worry; the latter features twice in this weekly RPG summary.
Righty! Time to get cracking with all that promised RPG news.
Win: Tree spirit t-shirt
RPG news from Geek Native
- Wizards of the Coast leaves the Sanatic Panic miles behind and signs off on an official Dungeons & Dragons tarot set.
- Geek Native spoke to James Kerr about the diceless martial arts RPG with heart; Fight to Survive.
- Fandom Tabletop launches The Dragon Prince: Tales of Xadia RPG and a new Cortex License.
- Knight Errant Media release a new Savage Worlds & Super Powers Companion version of Titan Effect.
- Free League announce a publishing deal with Stockholm Kartell for the Death in Space RPG.
- Outland Entertainment has bought the rights to a failed Kickstarter computer RPG and announced the Scarlet Republics tabletop RPG.
- Monte Cook Games announces a new Cypher System RPG based on the podcast Old Gods of Appalachia.
- Nightfall Games release the quickstart for the forthcoming StokerVerse RPG.
- On DriveThruRPG, Fainting Goat Games and others put together this impressive Savage Worlds bundle for charity.
- Hardy Tales has released a quick start for a Savage Worlds game in which the spiders have won. It’s the Empire of Venom & Silk.
- Paizo have a free to download Outlaws of Alkenstar Player’s Guide.
- In the Bundle of Holding, there’s a Tianxia deal, a 3e Victoriana offer and a flash sale on Third Eye’s Part-Time Gods RPG.
- Humble and Cubicle 7 have a significant deal on the Warhammer Soulbound RPG.
Spotlight: Outland Arts
RPG news from around the web
- In great news, Humble has raised over $20m for Ukraine humanitarian relief.
- Dicebreaker reports the sad news that D&D and World of Warcraft writer Scott Bennie has died.
- Gamefound, the Kickstarter rival, announced it is now open to all creators.
- Roll20’s Operation Firebolt sped up game loading time by 57% and improved stability.
- Outland and Pinnacle’s first Rippers: Resurrected novel will be Soul Changers.
- Bully Pulpit Games hired Kristine Hassell as Social Media Manager.
- Monte Cook Games joins RollVsEvil.
RPG reviews and interviews from around the web
- Pen Paper Dice’s Rene Kremer reviews Legends of Avallen.
- Bell of Lost Souls says ‘Tales Of Xadia’ Is The ‘Dragon Prince’ RPG Experience Of Your Dreams.
- Grumpy Wizard reviewed RPG historian Jon Peterson’s The Elusive Shift: How Role-Playing Games Forged Their Identity.
- OnTableTop asks Should You Give “Doom Metal” Fantasy RPG Mork Borg a Go?
- Jared Rascher shares first impressions on Star Trek Adventures Player’s and GM’s Guides.
- Rob Wieland writes up Steal From The Vampires And Give To The Poor In Brinkwood.
- Ronald Gardner gives us Science Fiction 40 Years in the Making: The Traveller Core Rulebook Update 2022 Reviewed.
- Andrew Peregrine reviewed the Vampire: The Masquerade sourcebook The Black Hand.
- These Old Games’ Phil Viverito reviews Serenity from 2005.
- Reviews from R’lyeh takes a look at the other OSR Kuf.
- Handiwork Games interviews the prolific Gareth Hanrahan.
- Dicebreaker’s Alex Meehan gave us “I built a world where people were rebels”: Cyberpunk creator Mike Pondsmith on why the tabletop RPG continues to endure and then gets promoted.
- CBR’s Sam Stone writes up The Dragon Prince: Tales of Xadia Team Invite Fans to an Immersive RPG Game.
RPG new releases
- Vivid Worlds completes a successful Kickstarter with the launch of How To Start Cults And Sacrifice People.
- Dark Realm Maps published a game set in an alternate reality and a Cold War with War Within RPG.
- SPC is hit “go-go-go” on the GM-less RPG about the Tattoo.
- Urania Games pokes fun at Task Rabbit and the Souls games with Duty! Hare.
- Basilisk Online published an RPG inspired by Xenozic Tales and the cartoon Cadillacs and Dinosaurs called Diesel and Dinosaurs.
- Ronwise Gamgee released the Quick & Dirty RPG System.
- Clawhammer Games publish the horror RPG about death and survival with Gravemire.
- Vaynor released the Gun&Slinger based RPG about two people in Stranger & Danger.
- Adventures Await Studios gives us Adventures Await: A Collection of 40 5e Compatible Adventures.
- Based on Dread and about Dredd, Epidiah Ravachol and Rebellion Unplugged release Dread: Dredd.
RPG bundle deals
- Save $11.64 (49%) with the DMsGuild’s A Mimic bundle.
- Save $5.75 (25%) with the Son of Oak Game Studio community content Storm Surge bundle.
- Save $2.50 (50%) with the DMsGuild’s The Slayer Collection.
RPG ideas, tips and discoveries
- Ben and the Genre Police look at how best to follow up after finishing a good campaign. It’s time for New Horizons.
- OpenD6.net is a free web-based toolkit for the OpenD6 system.
- Sea of Stars put together Ceramic Soldier for 5e.
- Kobold Press share Deep Magic: Pestilent Cleric Spells, Part 2.
- D&D Beyond put their spell spotlight on Find Familiar.
- The Alexandrian dips into Forgotten Realms lore with A Textual History of the Yawning Portal.
You can see those Kickstarters and other crowdfunding campaigns that caught Geek Native’s attention over at Kickstarter watch. Here are some industry projects worth a mention;
- Noisms Games has funded a zine of curated content for OSR and fiction. Explore In the Hall of the Third Blue Wizard
- Postworldgames and Jim Pinto have success with The Biggest Praxis Kickstarter.
- It’s Wave 6, complete with elves, demonkin and angelkin, for the Adventurers & Adversaries Modular RPG Miniatures.
- Questing Tools are funding 8 themed dice sets based on NPCs from an adventure setting. It’s the Town of Click Clack Dice.
- Virtual Tabletop Journey have funded the 3d The Unofficial Castle Ravenloft 5e – TaleSpire Edition.
- Diego Pisa Artworks have 5e and other system compatible NPCS AND LOCATIONS.
- Space Legatas have funded diorama appropriate Fantasy adventures – STL models for 5e campaigns.
- VW Khmbatta is inspired by games like Kult, SLA and Delta Green with their interdimensional horror RPG S.H.E.A.R.
- Squid Ink Games has a solo and co-op suitable adventure for Death in Space. It’s Station XENO – A Sci-Fi Horror RPG Module.
- Robin’s Nerd Supplies returns with The Revenge: Hollow Pirate Dice (Relaunch).
- Orcs Unlimited bring back the Flufamancer with Escape from Teddy Bear Island 2nd edition.
- Duke Marlar has a one-shot and add-on scenario with TRAPPED SOULS – Mork Borg Compatible.
- Cassidy Percoco has funded a regency RPG set in England. It’s time for Dandies & Dandyzettes.
- James Shield is offering STL files for Uncommon Monstrosities.
- Key Capas’s fantasy terrain is suitable for RPGs and wargames with Hobbit Holes #2 – Pay what you want.
- Rusu Adrian Andrei has an RPG based on local folklore and stories in the shape of Project Transylvania.
- 9d10 are raising money for hand-crafted sold ash, stained and suede-lined Heirloom Vault ♦ An RPG dice box made with love.
- Fabio Attoli has smashed targets for a game based on the feudal period, except with fantasy. It’s Kamon: Japanese Fantasy Setting for 5e.
- Omar Schrayter has an ambitious target for the d12 powered 2096 | A POST APOCALYPTIC SCI-FI RPG.
- Louis Hoefer has funded an MCC and DCC compatible adventure called The Time-Lost Citadel.
- Luca Galimberti has nine fantasy STL files on offer and is designed for RPGs with Incontri: Dames of the woods.
If there’s a source or news you think is worth monitoring, please get in touch or leave a comment below.