Friday RPG news time, and you may notice two things.
You may notice that the daily digest email is hitting your inbox later. It is! That’s a high perception pass from you to spot that so quickly. The current release slot is 10 PM here in the UK.
If you critically succeeded in that perception test, you may notice things are a little quieter this week. That’s only true here on Geek Native, and there have been fewer posts, but the industry is still bustling.
The two are connected. This is what a return to the office in a “please, let the vaccines work, people wear masks for long enough, and C19 retreat” world looks like for this blogger. I’ve been rerolling the time attributes on my character sheet.
Life goes on! That’s the plan. As does the RPG news, which we’ll get to in just a bit. We can see many exciting bundles, Hasbro hanging on to Wizards of the Coast, and if you’re a fan of the news reading minotaur, there’s a chance to win him in the UK.
Righty! Time to get cracking with all that promised RPG news.
Win: Mr Root t-shirt
RPG news from Geek Native
- Hasbro refuses pressure from shareholders, won’t budge on appointments and won’t spin-off Wizards of the Coast.
- Paizo mixes things up, offers 5e content and a partnership with Foundry VTT.
- Evil Genius lands more than one partnership and signs on Syrinscape, Foundry and Roll20 for Cinematic Adventures.
- The Dark Eye RPG publisher, Ulisses Spiele and their VTT team, have been working with Owned by Gravity on a branching visual novel called Wolves on the Westwind.
- WizKids will sell this glowing lich skull. It’s the head of Acererak the Eternal.
- Wizards of the Coast re-released the TSR Jam 1999.
- Third Chair Games released a full and free Artifacts & Adventure : Modern-Day Treasure Hunters RPG.
- The Alpine DM is supporting a Kickstarter with a free preview of the 5e The Rift to Phymorra – Guide to the Spirit Realm.
- Realmwarp Media also offer a free starter primer for Wyrd Street.
- Crowbar Creative have a free and 5e preview for Dr. Grordbort’s Scientific Adventure Violence.
- Geek Native wrapped a tiny interview with Sarsen Games about Botanists and Hobble Pollen.
- River Horse took to DriveThruRPG for the digital edition of the official The Dark Crystal Adventure Game.
- At the Bundle of Holding, Modiphius has 2x2d20 Conran RPG deals and Sly Flourish has a Lazy DM Collection.
Spotlight: Outland Arts
RPG news from around the web
- Linda Codega warns NFTs Are Here to Ruin D&D
- As noted in the Kickstarter coverage, Son of Oak Game Studios had to deal with trademark reasons, and so Toyko :Otherworld became Tokyo:Otherscape.
- R. Talsorian Games apologise to Sara Thompson after omitting their name from the Witcher’s A Tome of Chaos and release the latest free Cyberpunk RED free content with Woodchipper’s Garage.
- ComicBook’s Christian Hoffer covers Dungeons & Dragons Designer Explains How the Radiant Citadel Differs From Classic D&D Location.
- Christian also notes that Dungeons & Dragons Will Explore Using Hit Dice in New Ways in Coming Months.
- GateWorld, the Stargate fansite, has a Stargate Dice! Unboxing the Sg-1 Roleplaying Game video and write-up.
- 8 Bit Digi and many others covered that Free League Publishing Announces the Kickstarter date for Blade Runner.
- Magic Untapped, which I hope isn’t one of those nasty sites, reported that Wizards of the Coast makes up roughly 70% of Hasbro’s value.
RPG reviews and interviews from around the web
- Reviews from R’lyeh looks at CMON and Guillotine Games’ Zombiecide Chronicles RPG.
- At RPG.net, Scott Hall reviews Alice is Missing: A Silent Role Playing Game and ShyberKryst reviews Free League’s The One Ring RPG.
- Tribality”s Tomas Gimenez Rioja shares Tal’Dorei Reborn: Critical Role Campaign Setting – Review.
- Game designer James Maliszewski penned a retrospective review of AD&D’s Tomb of the Lizard King.
- CBR’s Sam Stone notes in their review that The Dragon Prince: Tales of Xadia Makes Customization and Character Development Key.
- In an introspective piece, Handiwork Games interviews Handiwork’s Jon Hodgson.
RPG new releases
- Green Ronin extends the timeline of the official The Expanse RPG to the fourth novel and published Beyond the Ring: Adventure and Exploration Through the Ring Gates for The Expanse RPG.
- Windmill Slam Games has content for mature readers with The Book of Cults.
- Wusuo releases the Mech & Pilot RPG Nuclear.
- Stillfleet and Wythe Marschall release a print-on-demand edition of the Quickstart Rules.
- Monte Cook Games’ Cypher System RPG of real-life heroes is out with First Responders.
- CopperPieces has released the works-in-progress but free to download An Explorer’s Guide to Hexcrawls.
RPG bundle deals
- Save $36.32 (70%) with the DMsGuild’s The Complete Year 1 Scenario Collection and $17.08 (70%) with The Complete Year 1 Subclass Collection bundle.
- Save $19.99 (25%) with the DMsGuild’s FG Van Richten’s Encyclopedia of Darklords & Domains bundle.
- Save $6.34 (34%) with Just Crunch Games’ The Dee Sanction: Disquieting Actions bundle.
- Save $5.00 (29%) with Exotic World Designs’ Transdimensional Core plus World Book bundle.
- Save $4.00 (13%) with the DMsGuild’s The Solo Adventurer’s Ultimate Toolbox bundle.
RPG ideas, tips and discoveries
- Which games do you recommend to people who want to try something different to D&D? The Genre Police have Choose Your Own Adventure(s) tips.
- Supporting the Bones Deep RPG, Technical Grimoire’s David Schirduan helped with Exploring the Familiar in Tabletop Roleplaying Games.
- Gnome Stew’s Adam Brown took A Deeper Look at the Social Contract.
- Campaign Mastery muses The Atomic Theory of RPGs.
- WorldAnvil’s Roc Humet pens How to Write a D&D Adventure.
You can see those Kickstarters and other crowdfunding campaigns that caught Geek Native’s attention over at Kickstarter watch. Here are some industry projects worth a mention;
- Status Effect Games has a PDF guide for fantasy battle maps that are also Dragnarr’s Dungeon Puzzler.
- 2 King Games is funding the first adventure module for their fantasy RPG. It’s Age of Ancients: Like Rats.
- MiniaturesCraze has funded the Layers of Fear – Age of Demons (Pre-Supported STL Files)v
- Adam Vass is bridging MORK BORG and Necronautilus with the Soulburner RPG.
- Ouissem Hammami has set themselves an ambitious target of CA$150,000 to Investigate! Relics and treachery in Anderas.
- The DM Lair took barely half an hour to fund the 5e adventure and resource bundle of Lairs & Legends.
- Team Arclands have met a modest funding goal for The Arclander Zine (5th Edition Compatible)
- Kevin Tracy has designed a card game that acts as an introduction to tabletop RPGs, and it is Delver.
- A blend of tabletop RPG and live-action is on offer with Toon’s Legends (English Edition).
- Todd has compiled and expanded the Lake of Abominations Hexcrawl Compilation.
- Elena is offering storage dice, cards, a unique marker, DICE TRAY & GLOW DICE-Multifunctional Set for DnD board game.
- Desiree Nordlund is a screenwriter who has put together some problem-solving, story-driven and system agnostic Tabletop RPG Fantasy adventures.
- David has funded a 40-page booklet of Dice-Free Dungeons: Quickstart Guide.
- The Anheron Universe grows with minis for Anheron Quest – Phase 2.
- 4RandomPixels have funded a collection of 50+ magical items for D&D in pixel art. Find them in the Marza’s Magical Collection.
- MatchPlay Games has made the target for the LEGENDS: The Superhero Roleplaying Game
- Josh Flanagan is live testing and funding the BIOJACKED: A Biopunk RPG
- Mark Taormino has funded modules with Mini-Adventure #1: Shadow of the Necromancer 1E/5E & Box Set
- Shades of Vengeance expand 500 years of playable history in Era: The Consortium – A Universe of Expansions 3.
- Paul Dean has over 600 mundane tools for larceny in Tessa’s Guide to Pickpocketing and Pilfering for 5e
- Jef McFin, an author, has funded an ocean-based Mothership adventure. The Oceans Are Endless on Meridian.
- Vivid Worlds are working on an RPG zine to take you to the gambling in Daddy Devlin’s Den Of Delights.
- William Dvorak and Wicked Studios are funding an old-school grimdark supplement for RAVENSROOK: The Black-Winged City of Bandits and Brigands.
- Meteor Crystal are gamers who make dice. What sort of dice? Meteor 2 Ultra Transparent Dice.
- Jess Francis is funding an alternative to flicking through rulebooks with the D&D Dungeons and Dragons Reference Card Set.
- Wynzworks has set out on the road to fund an RPG based, in part, on Pathfinder and, in other parts, card and tactics games. Is it time for Stories of Wonder?
If there’s a source or news you think is worth monitoring, please get in touch or leave a comment below.