Happy RPG news Friday.
The day is what we make it, and whenever real-life drama threatens bleakness, I’ve found it reassuring that I can turn to the RPG community.
For example, the Ukraine bundle deals continue and do so powerfully. There’s Frenzy Kitty Games’ Ukraine Relief Bundle as another example of a publisher just doing it.
Another example? Okay! Chris and Rita Birch of Modiphius co-founded a new charity with many other tabletop publishers involved. They, and a finance company, are matching pledges and carrying all the costs. We’ve now got RollVsEvil.
It’s also been a busy news week with D&D announcing a new anthology called Journeys Through the Radiant Citadel. Despite spotting some obvious leaks hidden/not hidden in reviews and getting the keywords given to me on a plate, I still failed to predict the title. The question, though, is, who left those reviews?
Now, amazingly, we’re rocking up to the end of the month already. If you’re a Geek Native Patreon then time is running out to vote in the latest RPG Publisher Spotlight poll.
Righty! Time to get cracking with all that promised RPG news.
Win: Tree spirit t-shirt
RPG news from Geek Native
- We saw retailers with placeholders first and shortly after D&D’s Journeys Through the Radiant Citadel was announced.
- There’s also a video and Radiant Citadel map.
- Foundry VTT and DriveThruRPG struck a marketplace deal.
- Rebellion Unplugged confirmed a new and appropriately named Dread: Dredd RPG.
- Geek Native talked to Jason Oberman about the 38-years-in-the-making sci-fi RPG 6083. You can download both the Player’s and Game Master’s manuals for free.
- Modiphius Games helmed a project, supported by other tabletop games publishers, to found a new charity RollVsEvil.
- Darrington Press teased their next tabletop RPG Syndicult.
- Wizards of the Coast’s lawyers took down a Beholder model Kickstarter.
- Traumlabor made their official Shadowrun RPG soundtrack free to download and listen too.
- EN Publishing released an SRD for Level Up: Advanced 5e rules.
- Amazing Tales is now entirely free in Ukrainian.
- Crimson Terrain released a free to download preview for the 5e It’s Tough to Be a God.
- Star Trek Adventures latest BRIEFS is out, free to download and all about starbases.
- Critical Role will game with Stephen Colbert on a charity and donation directed choose the adventure stream.
- The Bundle of Holding has deals on the Equinox RPG and The Esoterrorists.
- There’s a huge Ukraine Humble with tabletop and other games.
Spotlight: Wider Path Games
RPG news from around the web
- Picks of the latest D&D news about Journeys Through the Radiant Citadel include;
- Charlie Hall at Polygon with D&D’s new starter adventure isn’t about saving the world — it’s about family.
- Ray Winninger had said 2022 would get a “cameo” of a classic D&D setting but this week confirmed Radiant Citadel does not count as a Planescape cameo.
- EN World curated Ajit George talks about Radiant Citaden’s creators.
- Sarah-Jane Simpson at ScreenRant wrote up First Look At New D&D Sourcebook Journeys Through The Radiant Citadel.
- Wargamer opines The DnD Radiant Citadel book has a Lovecraft Country style adventure.
- Sadly, retailer, GAMA officer and ICv2 writer Marcus King passed away.
- Christian Hoffer confirmed Cyberpunk 2077 TTRPG products are on the way.
- In an appointment that reflects trends in tabletop RPGs, Pelgrane Press has hired Ellen Abolt to manage VTT Platforms.
- Justice Ramin Arman is now a Senior Game Designer at Wizards of the Coast.
RPG reviews and interviews from around the web
- The Chatty DM reviewed the solo journaling RPG The Magus.
- Seed of Worlds reviewed the retro-cline For Gold & Glory.
- The Other Side reviewed Castle & Crusades’ Tome of the Unclean.
- ScreenRant’s Austin King notes The One Ring RPG Review: Excellent Lord Of The Rings Roleplaying.
- Tribality has an Arcadia Issue 14 Breakdown.
- The Alexandrian reviewed Descent into Avernus and the storytelling game Stealing the Throne.
- Beyond Fomalhaut reviewed the DCC Reckoning of the Gods.
- On RPG.net, ShyberKryst reviewed Free League’s The One Ring Starter Set.
- Refereeing and Reflection looked at The Keeper’s Little Instruction Book.
- Reviews from R’lyeh wrote up Viking Death Squad.
- Handiwork interviewed Beowulf’s Seven Stones author Elaine Lithgow.
- Flames Rising interviewed OPP’s Matthew Dawkins.
- The Yawning Portal interviews Mist Hunters’ Marcello de Velazquez and The GM Tim.
RPG new releases
- The sci-fi RPG of an uncolonised future Coyote & Crow is out.
- Handiwork Games released the Gareth Ryder-Hanrahan penned Beowulf 5e: The Triple Serpent.
- Scrap Princess published the Mothership-powered futureshock of NooFutura.
- Tomahawk Bunny released the Breathless-based RPG Manadrunk.
- The Mirage Company published the mangawave RPG about exploring dangerous worlds Wellspring.
- Cubicle 7’s Warhammer Age of Sigmar Soulbound: Champions of Destruction is out.
- Spiral Lane Productions released the core rules for the tactical combat RPG Grimstone.
- Old Dungeon Magazine D&D adventures have been converted to 5e by Andrew James Woodyard and published in the 5E Conversion Adventure Bundle.
- Will Power Games released the Forged in the Dark version of their Synthicide RPG. IT’s Synthicide: Sharpers In The Dark.
- R. Talsorian Games has published the latest edition to The Witcher TTRPG with A Tome of Chaos.
RPG bundle deals
- Save $9.97 (53%) with Frenzy Kitty Games’ Ukraine Relief Bundle.
- Save $5.90 (20%) with Arclands Online’s Arclands core books bundle.
- Save $4.5 (25%) with the DMsGuild Worlds of Adventure bundle.
- Save $4 (20%) with the Tibbius Eldritch Horrors and Mythistories bundles.
RPG ideas, tips and discoveries
- Geek Native suggested cuddling a demogorgon.
- In a guest post, Roll & Play Press’ Beth Davies shared Balancing Science and Fiction in Sci-Fi RPG: Tips from Roll & Play Press.
- Riley Silverman asks What’s your Dungeon Master Style
- Sea of Stars continued their Tuesday Magic Item series with Military Boots.
You can see those Kickstarters and other crowdfunding campaigns that caught Geek Native’s attention over at Kickstarter watch. Here are some industry projects worth a mention;
- Jonathan Wilson has a system to create instant rooms and corridors quickly in Dungeon Rolls – old school maps, instantly.
- There’s a runaway success for 1985 Games Presents: Sharp Edge VHS Dice.
- Sasha “TK” De’ath has a twenty-page zine project in the shape of Secrets From The Black Palace – MÖRK BORG Zine
- Andrew May is working on twelve 28mm minis for RPG scenes and painting with Victorian Pedlars and Street Criers
- Back again! The Oracle Issue 21 RPG Magazine
- Wind Lothamer has nearly funded an old school underwater sourcebook. It’s Aquatic Adventures.
- Limitless Adventures has funded a detailed 5e setting called Castle Vordanrok.
- Stefano Grazzini has also funded a pack of 28mm metal Brewer Monks.
- Sarsen Games has exceeded their target many times over with a book of 100+ plants, monsters and poisons with The Herbal Journal of Cicely Longbottom: a DnD supplement.
- Anthony Christou should now deliver metal hollow and limited edition Caged Dragon Dice & More.
- Lizzie Worrall has a novel and successful campaign for D&D Fabric Designed by Express Your Fandom.
- Christian Eichhorn penned a collection of dungeons not suited for the “feeble-minded”. It’s the Dungeoneer’s Black Book | A Mörk Borg Supplement
- Tabletop-Modellbau has funded a modular 3d-printable Tabletop 3D STL printable modular gaming board – part 1.
- L.J. Ogre offers more than 100 new spells in the Complete Thaumaturgic Codex 5e.
- C&C Woodsmith is running a project for PC, NPC and monster tokens in Minimalist Miniatures 2.0
- Frost Dragon Designs has character class inspired Black Cat RPG Series 3 – Hard Enamel Pins.
- Philip Reed has a custom-printed USB flash drive loaded with RPG content. It’s a Malevolent Mixtape, a third-party work for Mörk Borg.
- The Dragons Vault has raised tens off thousands for the Tempest: A Seafarers Sourcebook | Nautical expansion for 5e!
- Steven Crompton is well on the way to funding the fantasy bestiary for any RPG with Ken St Andre’s Monsterary of Zimrala.
- Radek Ignatow has a Roll and Write game funded called Island Alone.
- Wyrmwood Gaming has a magnetic and modular campaign underway for the The RPG Tracking System ft. Paladin Woodworking.
- Awfully Queer Heroes from Bristol have funded a 5e module to learn about mental health while exploring the Feywild. Welcome to Adventures in ADHD.
- It’s a book of 5e and Pathfinder 2e weird fantasy arms and equipment. It’s the Armaments of the Luminant Age.
- Mor Milo tries again with these impressive dice within dice. It’s the Milo’s Amazing Dice – Relaunch
- Xacur has funded a small compendium of weird spell monsters for 5e in The Tiny Tome of Living Spells.
If there’s a source or news you think is worth monitoring, please get in touch or leave a comment below.