It’s Friday the 13th! It’ll be a dramatic day for some of us. For Geek Native, this will be the last Routinely Itemised written from the docks of Leith.
Yours truly is on the move. A physical change of address, a new apartment in less than ideal circumstances, and a new start will mean some disruption to the Geek Native RPG news coverage over the next few days.
And hopefully not longer than that. Apologies, though, if you’ve dropped in a Kickstarter or review request and I’ve not got back to you. Wait a few days and try again.
It turns out that large libraries of RPG hardbacks are among the worst things to move. Boxes and shipments are also a theme in this week’s news, as logistics is once again a thorny issue for the industry.
There’s a spot of convention news this week with Gen Con deciding that bio-health is still a wise idea. As a reminder, please recommend inclusions for the geeky convention calendar.
Right, now on to that promised RPG news!
RPG news from Geek Native
- Modiphius are busy with their Star Trek RPG with a new campaign setting and a cosplay-worthy Tricorder edition.
- The Witcher TTRPG expands, adding in Werebbubb, Gnome and Vran characters with A Book of Tales.
- Cubicle 7 has confirmed that Soulbound, the Age of Sigmar RPG, will keep pace with the new wargame Age of Sigmar plot.
- The Irish publisher also made Doctor Who and the Einstein Engine a free to download adventure for the newly released second edition of the Doctor Who RPG.
- For Friday 13th, Pelgrane Press made the 13th Age quickstart download free.
- Legendary Games removed their Far East product line from sale over sensitivity concerns but are back with a large, diverse team and Latin American Monsters.
- Japanese publisher Madaraushi is to crowdfund an anime for the Cthulhu-inspired tabletop RPG To the Mountains of Madness.
- Magnetic Press Play have made a free quickstart available for the Carbon Grey RPG.
- Geek Native reviewed the horror RPG Shiver.
- The Tabletop Gaming Magazine has launched the Tabletop Gaming Awards.
- Meanwhile, the Indie Game Developer Network announced the Indie Groundbreaker Award nominees for 2021.
- D&D kicked off the official Adventurers League season with the horror-themed Ravenloft: Mist Hunters.
- Geek Native spoke to Mike Kennedy and Andrew Gaska about Carbon Grey, MVD6 and MPP’s plans.
- You can now pre-order the official Dungeons & Dragons Annual for 2022.
- Free League made official Mutant: Year Zero and Tales from the Loop core modules available for FoundryVTT.
- Paizo’s Ron Lundeen joins Grimmerspace.
- On the Bundle of Holding, there are two Doctor Who bundles and two Delta Green bundles.
- Over at Humble Bundle, Modiphius has a Mutant Chronicles deal.
Spotlight Trash Mob Minis
RPG news from around the web
These freight costs are tearing into already-thin margins for many publishers, and some publishers are being forced to make decisions between shipping now and losing money, or holding inventory at the factory – and losing money. If there is such a thing as win-win options in game publishing (or for any small businesses who rely on global trade), we’re now as far from those options as we can get.”
- Steve Jackson Games’ Phil Reed made it clear, “Global shipping is a nightmare“.
- Gen Con Mandates masks after all.
- Scott Thorne shared some retailer insights on the acquisition of Flying Buffalo.
- WizKids will do a sprue-minis for D&D after all with a separate Frameworks line.
- WizKids also released this Kidrobot plushy line.
- WotC has a new D&D survey out, with no glitches or drama this time.
RPG reviews and interviews from around the web
- Antonios S reviewed Chaosium’s Glorantha The Red Book of Magic.
- Jared Rascher reviewed the Doctor Who: RPG second edition and The Star-Shaman’s song of Planegea.
- Bones of Contention reviewed Castle of Mirrors.
- Sami Yuhas reviewed Pathfinder’s adventure Dinner at Lionlodge.
- Beyond Fomalhaut reviewed the 2021 The Pit.
- Reviews from R’lyeh took a look at Shadow of Mogg.
- Thilo Graf reviewed the 16-page In Vino Gigantus.
- On Reddit, Mesmer Gnome wrote up a length review of Iron Kingdoms: Requiem.
RPG new releases
- Kobold Press’s 210-page adventure for 5e Scarlet Citadel is out.
- Rose Bailey and Fantasy Heartbreaker released a second edition of the Elric of Meinibone inspired Bright & Terrible.
- Laika Small Press released a game of expeditions and delving Into the Glowlands.
- Guy Sclanders’ diceless and action economy Bounty Hunter TTRPG is on DriveThruRPG.
- Awkward Turtle has released a “found footage” style RPG supplement with Not a Place of Honor.
- In time for the 25th anniversary, Arc Dream has published Delta Green Evidence Kit: The Labyrinth.
- Star Bear Games published their RPG of bug knights with Umbra.
- Crit Academy have released their 5e archetype Ranger: Bladedancer.
- Tab Creations published the Shadows over Sol campaign and sourcebook Jovian Whispers.
- For Torg Eternity, Jay Rutley released The Storm Knights’ Guide to The Cursed.
- Ash Kreider published their TTRPG about queer romance, found family and healing with Our Traveling Home.
RPG bundle deals
- Save $52.54 (72%) with the DMs Guild’s Community Classes bundle.
- Save $43.56 (40%) with Animated Dungeon Map’s 2020-2021 Cybermaps Exclusives FullHD bundle.
- Save $12.45 (33%) with Stygian Fox’s The Casebook of Hudson & Brand bundle.
- Save $7 (32%) with the Lazy Litches Loot Cthulhu bundle.
- Save $3.49 (32%) with Tibor Szilagyi’s “One Shot” DM bundle.
- Save $3 (33%) with the Generic Floorplans Envoy & Convoy bundle from Hinterland Mapview.
RPG ideas, tips and discoveries
- Charles continues his Warhammer world building with The Empire of the Old World.
- Megan Pusey to a level-headed look at Taming the Black Dog with Dungeons & Dragons.
- A Distant Chime looked into The Principles of RPG Narration.
- At Forbes, Rob Wieland opined Now Is A Great Time To Get Into The Starfinder Role-Playing Game.
- At Gnome Stew, Jack Peachey wrote up Devils and Demons – How GMs Can Use Fiendish Entities in Their Games.
- J.R. Zambrano offered help with How to Build a Party With Three or Fewer Players.
You can see those Kickstarters and other crowdfunding campaigns that caught Geek Native’s attention over at Kickstarter watch. Here are some industry projects worth a mention;
- Tony Go has smashed goals with an enhanced Deep Space D-6: The Long Way Home RPG Gamebook 2nd Edition.
- Feanor Forge is offering more than 90 STL minis, terrain and busts in A Troll’s Tale.
- Runeforge Studios has STL files and/or physical products with six unique different The Goblin Tribes of Keiremoor.
- Dynal Greene is funding a steampunk fantasy inspired by Skies of Arcadia and Guns of Icarus with Cloudrunner: Fate of the Skies – Steampunk Fantasy RPG.
- Deck & Dice Games want to upgrade your critial hits. It’s The Dice of Death & Dismemberment.
- RiotMinds has a Classsic Dungeon Crawl offering in Ruin Masters – Bestiary.
- RPG Magazine with system-neutral (and therefore 5e compatible) content. It’s The Oracle Issue 14 – Venetia, City of Masks.
- Henry Lopez wrote for the Arcanis Campaign Setting but the Codex of the Mind – A Complete Psionics System for 5E can be converted.
- Howard Tayler has brought Tracy & Curtis Hickman’s cure for the common game to Kickstarter with XDM: X-treme Dungeon Mastery, 2nd Edition.
- EN Publishing has 6 more settlements. Over the Next Hill 2: 6 Plug-In Settlements for your 5E Game.
- Blue Fox Gamebooks & RPG is offering a branching narrative book set 15 years before the story of Innsmouth: The Stolen Child – A Lovecraft Gamebook.
- Chris G. Williams wonders whether you’ll survive after being cast out to die in the cold night. KINLESS – A Mörk Borg Solo Viking Adventure.
- Iko has a 28-page full-colour zine for Troika! called Broken Luck.
- White Light Media have physical and STL minis on offer with Fantasy & SciFi Minotaurs Miniatures and Much More!.
- Planet X Games and Levi Combs has funded a rules-light retro sci-fi RPG in RAYGUNS & ROBUTS.
- C. Aaron Kreader has easily funded a 2nd level DCC/MCC adventure and supplements with The Towers of Dr. Xill & The Years Between.
- Sean Aaberg is offering werido art, dark fantasy and an RPG with DUNGEON DEGENERATES: HAND OF DOOM FOURTH PRINTING.
- Claudia Rodriguez offers STL files in 32mm for RPGs, board games and wargames with Infernal Siege & Gaming Terrain.
- Dark-Platypus Studio has pre-supported and optimised designs and files for Slimes!.
- Rebel Minis have 4 new and limited edition Cthulhu’s Miskatonic University School Enamel Pins 2nd Year.
- Patrick Stuart has smashed funding goals for an old school D&D scenario called Demon-Bone Sarcophagus.
- Appendix N Entertainment has an Old-School Essentials set of reprints for The Return of Octhorrorfest and Hidden Hand of the Horla!
- ENnie-gold cartographer Glynn Seal has locale A5 cards with HandyMaps Dungeons, Caves & Strange Locales for Game Masters
- Chronicle Cards offers decks, resin dice and printable minis in the Chronicle Cards II – More Universal RPG Content!
- Peter Regan and Square Hex are on Kickstarter to reprint The Black Hack Second Edition – Redux
- Craig Bogart has a gothic horror campaign in The Council of Bones 5e Adventure.
- Vergilius Games is funding a mystery with Amnion River – A Dark Mystery Visual Novel.
- Juan Lerma has funded Chibi Monsters D&D 3D Files STL + Memorama
- Brittani Bartnik is offering a set of maps and one-shots with a harvest theme. It’s the Eldendale Harvest.
If there’s a source or news you think is worth monitoring, please get in touch or leave a comment below.