Hello and welcome to another week of RPG news!
It’s Thanksgiving in America, and that seems to distort everything, favouring the occasional big bit of news and smothering smaller headlines.
Fed up of Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales announcements? Geek Native covered two bundle deals during the week but has otherwise left that shopping frenzy alone.
Will that decision cost affiliate sales? Probably, but there is the Patreon, and I simply couldn’t bring myself to tackle a megathread write-up. Thoughts on how to do better next year?
If you’re alone this holiday season, then I recommend getting involved with as many RPG Discords you can find, actual plays on Twitch with great communities and there are even experts like the Marmalade Trust you can talk to.
Win Get Bit!
RPG news from Geek Native
- Pathfinder is getting a Savage Worlds edition with a Kickstarter due in January 2021.
- Modiphius Entertainment first gave us an art teaser for Dune: Adventures in the Imperium RPG and then the four different covers.
- Modiphius have also announced the multi-day online convention Mod Con.
- The not-for-profit virtual tabletop Mythic Table launched.
- The virtual tabletop and community Role launched in early access.
- Another virtual tabletop, also free and easy to use, that hit the headlines this week is Owlbear Rodeo.
- Pinnacle Entertainment Group gave away this free state of the Union Deadlands virtual tabletop map.
- Wizards of the Coast co-founder and Gen Con owner Peter Adkison’s World of Chaldea web series got a trailer.
- Itch.io TTRPG publishers put together Bundle for Trans Day Remembrance.
- Humble Bundle has a Black Friday Maps Extravaganza Encore deal.
- The Bundle of Holding’s Black Friday offer is Indie Cornucopia 8.
- Kamala Kara A released Giant Corporate Owned Comics Hero Roleplaying which might be the Marvel Heroic RPG conversion for Cortex Prime you have been looking for.
- Spilled Ale Studios have released the 2nd editions of the bestselling Wasteland Wanderers and Wasteland Wares.
- Andrews McMeel will publisher a Zweihander-powered dark fantasy RPG called Blackbirds.
- Blackfisk Forlag has free playtest rules for an RPG about learning about toxic masculinity, honour and power called Blood Feud.
- Geek Native checked out the free One Page Solo Engine.
- Geek Native reviewed Across the Planes: The Feywild.
RPG news from around the web
- Jeremy Crawford told Dicebreaker that … improvements to racial depictions will take “several years” to fully implement.
- In a related story, CBC notes Dungeons and Dragons is tackling its history with racism, but this D&D master says more needs to be done.
- Chaosium hired Jaye Kovach as art director.
- Looper’s Tom Meisfjord wrote up How you can play through Mike’s D&D adventure from Stranger Things.
- Green Ronin gave us a look into A Blue Rose Chronicle, Designing Envoys to the Mount.
- Roll20 offered up a First Look at the Investigator Handbook on their platform.
- Goodman Games and Humble Bundle donated over $30,000 to the American Red Cross.
- Dice Adventurer has shared a Kickstarter backer of Free League Publishing’s Twilight 2000.
RPG reviews and interviews from around the web
- Antonios S, over at RPG.net, reviewed Robot Wars and Those Dark Places.
- Angel’s Citadel reviewed Invisible Sun – The Way.
- Rolling Boxcars reviewed Brindlewood Bay and Cyberpunk Red.
- Power Score RPG reviewed the Dungeon Master’s Screen Wilderness Kit.
- The Kind DM reviewed Feats Don’t Fail Me Now.
- Endzeitgeist reviewed Galaxy Pirates Gear Book: Operative Weapons.
- Egg Embry interviewed Parable Games’ Barney Menzies about Shiver.
- Tabletop Gaming ran Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything: An Interview with Jeremy Crawford.
RPG new releases
- JP Chapleau published a Pay What You Want adventure for Descent into Avernus called Feathers of Zariel.
- Chaosium has free player handouts and pre-gen characters for Call of Cthulhu’s Dead Light.
- Osprey Games and Jonathan Hicks released Those Dark Places.
- Brittannia Game Designs has released Goblins, Orcs and Trolls.
- Already a bestseller, Fire Ruby Designs gave us Warlock! Goblins!
- Jenna Katerin Moran published Glitch: A Story of the Not.
- Chaosium released the Call of Cthulhu solitaire adventure Alone Against the Tide.
- Cubicle 7 released WFRP: One Shots of the Reikland.
- Christian Mehrstam has published issues #4 and #5 of Suldokar’s Wake.
RPG ideas, tips and discoveries
- Ben and the Genre Police shared some advice on how to run better combat scenes in your game.
- Geek Native took a look at these rotary health point counters.
- Gnome Stew’s Haggai Elkayam Shalem gave us Intro To Israeli Theory – Your Character Does Not Exist.
- Bastionland wrote up a d100 Chess Scenarios.
- Tribality’s Tomas Grimenz Rioja shared How To Make “Levelling Up” A Narrative Tool.
- The Alexandrian has a Random GM Tip – Cypher Bad Guys.
- Wandering Gamist wrote up Rival Adventuring Parties and Dungeon Maps as Treasure.
- Dave Seidman-Joria shared a conversion of Evil Hat’s card game Channel A to an RPG.
You can see those Kickstarters and other crowdfunding campaigns that caught Geek Native’s attention over at Kickstarter watch. Here are some industry projects worth a mention;
- Tim Krause has a 5e adventure featuring skinwalkers called Siguiya: Treasure Revealers.
- Midlam Miniatures is funding a set of 10 Classic Cloaked Halfling Adventurers
- Josiah Mork is collecting pledges for a multi-purpose RPG system called BaG Role-playing Game
- Vinegar Frog are raising money to make STL files for 3d printers and Mimic Mania.
- Kaitlyn Capper is working on a family RPG called Timeless.
- Adam O’Brien and Greedy Mimic Games have smashed target for Tabletop maps for Dungeons and Dragons and multiple games.
- Robert Brewer is taking pledges for a solo journaling RPG called Our Last Days.
- Ryan Morgan is working on a kingdom-creating and war-simulating RPG with Diadem.
- William Murakami-Brundage has funded an original D&D 5e adventure titled The Waxwyrm Bounty.
- Ready for Valentine’s Day, Tom and Catherine Thrust wonder whether you might be interested in Date Night Dungeon – Rescue of the Blackthorn Clan.
- Ready for Christmas, Matt and his daughter Mya have a family-friendly RPG project titled Slice 2.
- Fumble Pals are working on a 5e supplement about fantastic cities and their original inhabitants called Wrenn’s Guide to the Modern World and its Cities.
- Oliver McNeil has smashed the funding target with the hybrid RPG The Storymaster’s Tales “Towers” and expansions.
- Ryan Wolfe is hoping to improve your Starfinder and other sci-fi RPG experiences with deck plan posters and a cast resin miniature in Atlas: Starships Maps & Miniature.
- HTTPaladin is raising funds to publish an interview book with tabletop RPG designers called Polyhedral.
- Diego Pisa Artworks is working on a new archetype for 5e and other games with sentient artifacts known as Soul Keepers.
- Olivier Revenu has a compendium of miscellanea for old school RPGs in the shape of Knock! Issue One.
- Kevin and Kim Hadden have an “arena-style” gaming system for RPGs in a project titled The World of Ravenslok: Hall of the Fire Giants.
- Andrew Peregrine is approaching target on a tabletop RPG set in a surreal Opera House.
- Coyote Company has a sci-fi RPG of tactical combat and complex lore called SpaceFest Unlimited.
- Vikor Ahrens is offering up digital and print&play tokens, standees and artwork in Dungeons of Doria.
If there’s a source or news you think is worth monitoring, please get in touch or leave a comment below.