RPG news in a weekly round-up and delivered at bullet point speed. Zoom!
The newly reborn Independence Games have the RPG Publisher Spotlight of the month.
The poll to vote on next month’s winner is still open for Geek Native’s patrons. Is that you? Go visit the February Spotlight poll to find out more. In summary, there are five publishers in the running again;
- Mark Hunt
- Bully Pulpit Games
- Expeditious Retreat Press
- Seth Tomlinson
- Palladium Books
In the sections below you will find RPG news summaries from Geek Native and elsewhere around the web. If there’s a source of tabletop news you think we should follow, or if you have some of your own, then please get in touch.
You’ll also get a list of some of the crowdfunding projects you may have missed. If you’ve got Kickstarter news of your own, then this Kickstarter page is a helpful resource to get you started.
RPG news from Geek Native
- Help Australia tackle the fires and the damage they’ve caused with Fight Fires With Games. Oh, you could save $1,830 too.
- DC Comics is getting into D&D 5e with this 17+ rated Last God sourcebook.
- Modiphius will publish a Dishonored RPG this year.
- Chaosium delays the Red Thread of Fate.
- The Dune RPG has been voted as 2020’s most anticipated game. It may, or may not, be due out in 2020.
- Green Ronin will bring Freeport into Fantasy AGE.
- Modiphius ships Nibiru as the sci-fi RPG picks up three more adventures.
- R. Talsorian Games released a free one-shot for Cyberpunk Red called Red Chrome Cargo.
- The Witcher tabletop RPG is being prepped for a second print run, and this means version 3 of the 9-page errata is out.
- Which publisher has won the most gold ENnies? Watch the battle.
- HONK! is a GMless RPG about restoring the reputation of geese.
- The OnTableTop Game Awards 2020 are open for nominations.
- Weirdly, there was fresh drama around how to read percentile dice.
RPG news from around the web
- Monte Cook Games have released the Arcana of the Ancients.
- Sami Yuhas reviewed The Expanse RPG’s Abzu’s Bounty.
- Comix Asylum interviewed PEG’s Shane Hensley and Scott Woodard.
- Bedrock Games released their Chinese ghost stories RPG Strange Tales.
- Jared Rascher of Gnome Stew reviewed Ironsworn a tabletop RPG of perilous quests.
- Drop Lowest reviewed Fantasy Flight’s Genesys – Expanded Player’s Guide.
RPG ideas, tips and discoveries
- Need to make your swamp a bit more dangerous? Your sewer a bit more interesting? The free to download Melvin’s Minute Monsterium: Swamps & Sewers for 5e might be worth looking at.
- Quickly organise your DMG (or PHB) with some great looking paper tabs.
- Merchoid has landed an official merch deal with D&D and this giant d20 lamp is one such item.
- D&D humour! Renamed D&D classics….
- Ben and the Genre Police looked at how music makes your RPGs more memorable.
- B. Everett Dutton’s guest post Why emotion is the new frontier for TTRPGs was a popular read this week.
- Justin Alexander of The Alexandrian has penned the excellent Untested 5th Edition: Hydroid Monsters.
- The Board Game Guide’s DnD Feats: Everything You Need to Know is a great way to get the mechanic straight in your head.
- Jeremy Strandberg shared 42 Minor Magical Items, Thief Edition.
- RoleplayingTips.com looked into Alternative Dungeon Environments.
- Mike Shea shared advice on Running Episodic Games.
You can see those Kickstarters and other crowdfunding campaigns that caught Geek Native’s attention over at Kickstarter watch. Here are some industry projects worth a mention;
- Goodman Games has launched a Kickstarter to fund James M. Ward’s Metamorphosis Alpha: Doom on the Warden.
- Bodie H has hit the campaign goal for Slowquest Character Cards: a tool for creating heroes & npcs.
- The artistic SkeletonKey Games is collecting for Arcane Scrollworks 4: Fourth Level Spell Scrolls.
- Explore steampunk London in the third volume of the Steam Highwayman: The Reeking Metropolis.
- Create gaming content with zero prep is the promise of FlexTale Encounter Generator v2.0 (OSR/5E/Pathfinder/P2E) by J. Evans Payne.
- An RPG setting for any system called The Sky Archipelago Episode 2 has already hit its modest campaign goals.
- World of Ere: The Fantasy RPG where Magic meets Science is a steampunk-inspired game from Landon Porter.
- Angry Hamster Publishing has a Make 100 called 2 Women | 12 Games.
- Alex Zaragoza has launched a large campaign for RPG Sounds.
- Another Make 100 is Diviniti X: Deluxe Hardcover Edition, which is a Powered by the Apocalypse super-powers RPG.
- Chris Robertson is funding 2D6 Adventures, a new tabletop RPG.
Gamerati News Update
Join the Gamerati in this quick video to catch-up on the Free League Publishing and Coriolis RPG news, The Fox in the Forest Duet being translated into English and the Aether War.
If there’s a source or news you think is worth monitoring, please get in touch or leave a comment below.