Welcome to the end of the week! Gosh, the last time we spoke it was Friday the 13th and doesn’t that feel like a lifetime ago?
Just me? Oh well!
In that lifetime, good things have happened, and the RPG Publisher Spotlight with Sixel Publishing is live.
The RPG news, in summary, this week;
- DriveThruRPG suspends a TSR author after Nazi allegations were made
- Paizo has a new President
- Hasbro battles investors
- Monte Cook Games celebrates 10 years
- StartPlaying raised $6.5 million for GMs
See, a lot can happen in a week!
Just a heads up, DriveThruRPG is having a technical ‘mare as this article goes live and the newsletter goes out. Hopefully, by the time you’re clicking on links, the site will be back. Itch is fine. It’s worth, I think, checking out the bundle deals this week as there are some heavy discounts.
Now, let’s get on with the RPG news round-up!
RPG news from Geek Native
- No Nazis. DriveThruRPG suspends TSR4 author Dave Johnson.
- Paizo Publishing has a new big cheese! TSR Jim Butler becomes President as Jeff Alvarez steps down.
- Geek Native has several previews of the expansion to the horror Backwater; Backroads: City of the Arch.
- There’s also a large art gallery to showcase the world and horrors of Arora: Age of Desolation.
- Goodman Games announce the first 5e for Lankmar with Magic and Monsters.
- There’s something wrong with the titles and/or covers for the official D&D graphic novels.
- Parable Games take the plunge and go full time.
- For the first time, the previously limited and still rather expensive Star Trek Adventures Tricorder edition goes digital.
- UltraPro are talking about Spelljammer’s Realmspace with these heavy metal dice.
- Monte Cook Games have published their Cypher System The Origin.
- Knight Owl has a free to download Solo Rules for The Scourge of the Scorn Lords.
- There’s a free to download demo and a Gamefound campaign for the RPG from Trans creators about transformation called To Change.
- Morrus has released a free to play/read Lifepath RPG.
- AshyFeetGames have released a free to download quickstart for the steampunk anime RPG Shibuyan Knights.
- At the Bundle of Holding, Monte Cook Games are holding a 10th-anniversary celebration and so there’s The Cypher System megabundle and Ptolus Cypher.
- Save women and $1,000? Itch has an impressive TTRPGs for Reproductive Rights bundle.
Spotlight: Sixel Publishing
RPG news from around the web
- WotC share an update on the wriggles around Monsters of the Multiverse.
- What’s the latest with the Hasbro battles?
- Barron’s covers the story with The Battle Over Hasbro Now Focuses on the Board.
- BusinessWire carries the PR for Hasbro Completes Acquisition of D&D Beyond from Fandom.
- Also, Hasbro Appoints Najuma Atkinson as Chief People Officer.
- Clearly a weapon of choice, there’s also a PR there for Hasbro Board of Directors Issues Letter to Shareholders.
- Dicebreaker notes that Dark Souls RPG previews plan to create a line of boss, NPC and player miniatures.
- WizKids will release D&D Cartoon-inspired minis.
- Chaosium appoints a full-time VTT developer. Say hello to Ariel Swicki.
- It’s Bleeding Cool news as the Looking For Group site StartPlaying secures $6.5m in seed funding.
- Paizo reveal plans for UK Games Expo.
- Dicebreaker’s Alex Meehan covers that while UKGE won’t, Gen Con will ask for masks and proof of vaccination.
- Bell of Lost Souls wants to push notifications to your browser (just, no!) but also ‘Acquisitions Inc.’ & ‘Lost Mine Of Phandelver’ Free On D&D Beyond.
- Roll20 sum up their recent and planned product updates.
RPG reviews and interviews from around the web
- Timed nicely with the bundle offer (see above), The Alexandrian reviews Ptolus – City of Adventure.
- The Other Side continues the Traveller season with reviews of T4 Marc Miller’s 1996 Traveller, Traveller20, the 1987 MegaTraveller and the 1993 Traveller: The New Era.
- OSR D.R.E.A.D. looks at Warpstar.
- At EN World, Charles takes a look at Fateforge.
- Rob Wieland looks at Death in Space and Ruins of Symbaroum for 5e.
- ScreenRant’s Austin King pens Ruins Of Symbaroum 5e Review: An Immersive & Impressive Fantasy RPG.
- Jared Rascher reviews Operation Marseille for Achtung! Cthulhu 2d20.
- The TTRPG Factory takes a look at the unusual Overlight RPG.
- Seed of Worlds publishes a thoughtful review of the 1995 AD&D Dungeon Master Guide.
- At Gnome Stew, Jared shares thoughts on G.I. Joe.
- Egg Embry interviews Malcolm Sheppard and Troy Hewitt about the Modern AGE Cyberpunk Splice.
- Dice Geeks interview Dave Scott about that surprise mega-license d20/5e mashup Everyday Heroes.
- Charles Dunwoody also talks to Dave Scott and with a Kong: Skull Island focus.
RPG new releases
- Welcome to the Retroverse with Laser & Liches (beta) of Game Master’s Beats.
- Make it gay, on Itch, Evil Hat release Advanced Lovers & Lesbians.
- Ulisses Spiele takes advantage of the new Foundry VTT and DTRPG deal with Torg Eternity keys and The Dark Eye.
- Thought you’d missed the chance? Forbidden Planet has Deluxe Hardcovers of Kids on Bikes: Role Playing Game.
- Forbidden Planet also has the physical copies of Dungeons & Dragons: Spelljammer: Adventures in Space: Campaign Collection (Adventure, Setting, Monster Book, Map & DM Screen).
- Mraston has released a JRPG inspired 2d6 RPG called Travail Saga.
- Splinterverse has released Swarms of the Multiverse. Hide the biscuits.
- Steamforged Games has taken the Kickstarter hit Animal Adventures: Secrets of Gullet Cove to digital retail.
- Sojourn publishing released the dungeon-crawling, fantastical and dangerous RPG Sojourn.
- Jesse Quesenbery published planar dragons and Sploren Garrick’s Handbook to the Planes.
- Catalyst Game Labs has published the core character rulebook Shadowrun: Sixth World Companion.
- Dias Ex Machina Games has released the Affinity supplements;
RPG bundle deals
- Save $77.29 (79%) with the DMsGuild’s Fantasy Grounds Ultimate Draconomicon bundle.
- Save $73.64 (80%) with the DMsGuild’s Fantasy Grounds Class Collective bundle.
- Save $42.45 (48%) with the DMsGuild’s Characters and Trinkets Mega-Bundle.
- Save $36.47 (24%) with Double Proficiency’s Wayfarer’s Deck ALL-in-1 Print Deal bundle.
RPG ideas, tips and discoveries
- Joshua Raynack wrote up How to Make Your 5th Edition Combat Iconic.
- Cavegirl’s Game Stuff shares thoughts on Chaos Warriors.
- Kobold Press give us 89 Colorful Kennings and a Tavern Generator.
- Referring and Reflection writes up Thoughts On Putting a Star Trek Campaign To Rest.
- GameRant’s Jared Carvalho opines How Dungeons and Dragons 6E Could Improve 5E’s Barbarian Class.
- Roc Humet shares Play D&D Online: 5 Tips to Play Digitally.
- Handiwork release Beowulf merch through Redbubble.
You can see those Kickstarters and other crowdfunding campaigns that caught Geek Native’s attention over at Kickstarter watch. Here are some industry projects worth a mention;
- Goodman Games has thousands of backers for Original Adventures Reincarnated #7: Dark Tower.
- Christopher Baker is offering a set of Fortune Dice Series III: An RPG Session Accessory.
- Italian cartography with Øone’s Blueprints: Hand-Drawn Maps.
- Joel Kreisseman has different methods for star travel for your consideration in Stardrives: A Starfinder Compatible Shipbuilding Toolkit.
- Levarsa Stuidos has funded Postapocalyptic Clans – 3d printable miniatures.
- Cursed Forge Miniatures has smashed goals for stat blocks, a short story and Kednar tribes – Fantasy rpg miniature set.
- Christian Eichhorn suggests you can join or eradicate The CVLT of the Hadron Lamb | A CY_BORG Adventure.
- James Eisert has a stand-alone deck for Dungeonrunner: Fantasy SOLO dungeon delve card game.
- Bloat Games has a great looking a retro-video game vibe in Nightworld – Tabletop RPG Monster Manual Zines.
- Philip Reed, the Kickstarter hero, needs no help with Fathomless Despair, a third-party work for Mörk Borg.
- Boar Warrior Studios has STL files for gaming improving Game Tokens and Markers.
- Caledonia Miniatures, who don’t seem to be Scottish at all, have smashed target for their City of Lasthaven 3D Printable STL Files & Bonus $1+ STL.
- Jim Pinto and PostworldGames is offering advice through A Good Book for Bad GMs and a Book of GM Inspiration.
- Meet the Roll Off System with Mystic Days: A Gritty Skill Based Medieval Fantasy RPG.
- Tony Rowland is funding a fantasy game about post-apocalyptic horror with The Realm of Gaian Enoch – Starter Edition.
- Ziggurat 3D Studio has funded 3d files for TTRPGs, wargames and scenes with The Meriadès and the zombie family.
- Kraken Dice have set a large goal but are progressing with a steady pace towards it for Cutting Words: Literary Inspired Sharp Edge 14pc Dice Sets.
- Rissell Phillips took less than an hour to fund the steampunk campaign for RISUS with The Epiphany Club and the Great Library of Alexandria.
- Multiverse has 3d files for terrain in an Ancient Starport.
- Tim van Dalen is offering up a Freebone Value adventure of mystery and demons with Murder in the Shielding Peaks.
- Planet X and Levi Combs wave the lure of high-octane spells in Vulgar Display of Magic: Weird Fantasy for Your OSR RPGs.
- Goliath Coins return with more detailed metal D&D inspired A Thunder of Dragon Coins.
If there’s a source or news you think is worth monitoring, please get in touch or leave a comment below.