Huzzah! It’s the end of what-a-week, and we’re here to get RPG news.
This week the headlines include;
- DriveThruRPG hacked, but customer data safe
- D&D product delays
- An RPG wins a Nebula Award
- The New York Times concedes RPGs are cool
But do you know who’s not cool?
Me! And I’m okay with that. This week I wrote a random fantasy cake generator in case you needed one. It’s part of my celebration of the greatest Geek Native failure; a mind flayer puking up a Snapchat rainbow.
I turned that into a cake and ate it.
I know you’re here for the RPG news and not cake; okay, let’s get cracking!
RPG news from Geek Native
- It looks like no customer data was breached but DriveThruRPG suffered a confirmed hack.
- A popular post this week was the news that Mana and Don’t Panic have released the quickstart of Cowboy Bebop the RPG for free.
- Nearly as popular was the exciting news that the 5e-d20 mashup that’ll power so many movie franchise RPGs, Everyday Heroes also has a free quickstart.
- Does good news come in threes? Quest goes fully free, not just a quick start, but the whole RPG.
- In Bundles, Peril Planet has Neon City Overdrive on the Bundle of Holding.
- Goodman Games has a generous offer for 50 Dungeons in Holding too.
- There’s also big news for anyone curious about Paizo’s Starfinder has hundreds of dollars of downloads for it, and one book is on Humble.
Spotlight: Sixel Publishing
RPG news from around the web
- A tabletop RPG won the Nebula Awards for the first time. Evil Hat Productions’ Thirsty Sword Lesbians took Best Game Writing.
- There’s a reason why that Kickstarter is late, and WotC is struggling with the logistics crisis too. Various D&D books are delayed.
- Goodman Games has bought Caverns of Thracia for 5E and DCC.
- Paizo share a list of new publications in a post called Crashes, Invasions, and Knights.
- ICv2 covers Arcane Tinmen offers ‘Dragon Shield’ RPG supplies.
- Matt Jarvis writes up Final Fantasy 14 fan turns the critically acclaimed MMORPG into a tabletop RPG.
- Gizmodo note The Gaming Shelf Plunges Into the Apocalyptic Navathem’s End.
- Back at Dicebreaker, Chase Carter covers Dark Souls RPG publisher announces release dates for corrected books.
- Colemain Gailloreto writes up The Best Tabletop RPG Freebies For Free RPG Day 2022.
- A popular article in The New York Times this week was Who’s Playing Dungeons & Dragons These Days? The Usual Fans, and Then Some.
RPG reviews and interviews from around the web
- Jared Rascher shares first impressions on Arcadia #16.
- There’s also a look at Tales of the Dungeon for the Talisman RPG.
- The Other Side continues the sci-fi season with a review of T5 Traveller5 Core Rules 3-Book Set and one on Traveller Main Rulebook (2008). Also, Traveller and Cepheus SRDs.
- Wargamer opines The Blade Runner RPG will suit fans of Consulting Detective.
- Angel’s Citadel review Numenera’s Break the Horizon.
- Throat Punch Games has a Ring Side Report on the playtest of Marvel Multiverse Role-Playing Game.
- Reviews from R’lyeh go on Untold Encounters.
- Rob Wieland has a review of Advanced Lovers & Lesbians.
- Refereeing and Reflection takes a dive into the controversial Monsters of the Multiverse.
- EN World did a handy round-up of what critics are saying about Critical Role: Call of the Netherdeep.
RPG new releases
- Svartkonst asks that you Pay What You Want for the beta version of the 80-page and sinister-looking Mysterium Weird Fiction Roleplaying.
- Pegasus Press expand the Talisman Adventures Fantasy RPG with The Lady’s Tomb.
- Meanwhile, Ulisses Spiel has released the artbook for Forgotten Fables – Wolving on the Westwind.
- Blackwell Writer publishes a solo Apawthecaria game with Poultice Pounder.
- A Couple of Drakes publish the mecha tabletop game Disaster Wing.
- Chthonstone Games has released a supplement for The Nightmares Underneath with Only Monsters Here.
- For free, the Dragonlance Nexus fan site has released Champions of Krynn – Chapter 2: Descent into the Crypts.
- Come Martin has a new subway setting for RPGs like Troika and Electric Bastionland called Meanwhile, in the Subway.
RPG bundle deals
- Save $13.97 (22%) with the DMsGuild’s Home-Field Advantage Hardcover+PDF bundle.
- Save $6.05 (39%) with the DMsGuild’s Blooded & Bruised – Complete Collection Bundle.
- Save $2.90 (20%) with the DMsGuild’s The Wild Beyond the Witchlight Adventure bundle.
RPG ideas, tips and discoveries
- Backwater Games writes a thought piece for Geek Native with What Great Writers Do.
- Scott Baird helps out with How To Keep Evil D&D Parties From Killing Each Other.
You can see those Kickstarters and other crowdfunding campaigns that caught GeekNative’ss attention over at Kickstarter watch. Here are some industry projects worth a mention;
- Red Tent Press launched today with big targets and a 5e book of exotic races and subclasses in Thanis Rae’s Tomb of Reflections.
- BrigadeGames has models for wargamers and collections in Cthulhu and Pulp Characters 28mm – Part 2.
- Cirque du Nocturne is offering up the strange The Cthllama of the Alpacalypse! A 5e QUICKSTARTER
- GMD Online have funded the all-new Pegasus Engine AAE Guide & CORE V2.0.
- Ulisses Spiele have another success in the Year One storyline for Torg Eternity – Pan Pacifica,
- Pariah Miniatures have hit target for a 3d-printed The Animated Shipwreck.
- Ben Iverson has some Pixel Art Paper Miniatures for RPGs and Wargames.
- The Oracle returns with original fantasy and 5e content in Magazine Issue 23 – Villains
- Jason DM has 10 5e adventures funded with Servants of the Lich King: Quests for D&D 5E.
- Arcknight are funding a second printing of Hardbound Support – 5E Starter Set 1.5.
- Professor Edward has some odd and quirky A One-of-a-Kind Multi-Cornered Double Cone Dice.
- Matteo Bonvicino has funded a game of ever-changing crimes in microCrime: a Roll-and-Write Investigation Game – $1 USD.
- EN Publishing, busy as ever, are quick-starting the Sickness and Health: New Diseases For Your 5E Game.
- Caias Ward, aka TaleSpinner, is campaigning for a game of touring green Goblin Jug Band Roleplaying Game.
- Team Zero Degree has new designs and multiple ways of rolling DUO DiCE – More Than Just Dice.
- Amadryil Games has 150 new entries in Monstrous Foes for 5E.
- Bold Miniatures has 32mm and 54mm 3d-printables inspired by a D&D The party.
- Andrew Pawley is a 3d artist who might be thinking of Spelljammer with these printable ships. They’re Dice Heads: Astral Armada>
- Woodworks Gaming debut successfully with the hand-crafted The DND & TTRPG Gaming Vault Collection.
- Kris McDemott has 30 new cartographic entries in Meanders RPG Maps: Modern City 2.
- Maphammer is funding affordable handmade dice. It’s the Unchained Dice Collection.
- Brian C has a 5e campaign for characters level 5 to 7 in The Castle in the Outlands D&D 5E mini-campaign.
- Teun can let you create a 32mm scale location in Can-Dew Castle: STL files for a Modular and Printable Castle.
- Brandon Staley has an Aether Punk RPG in which you try and survive the apocalyptic horrors of the Aetheria.
- Sky McCandless is funding a brand new world of monsters and magic in Project Amaar; The Ravager Class.
If there’s a source or news you think is worth monitoring, please get in touch or leave a comment below.