Friday wheels around again, and with it comes another collection of RPG news but with added importance.
The hobby industry has been doing so much to support Ukraine that it feels impossible to cover it all, but some of it is mentioned here.
There was some drama but mainly karma around efforts by OneBookShelf to coordinate action for Doctors Without Borders. That gives us;
- Doctors Without Borders D&D Bundle
- Doctors Without Borders Mega Bundle 1
- Doctors Without Borders Mega Bundle 2
- Adventurers League for Doctors Without Borders
- Doctors Without Borders MEGABUNDLE
- Doctors Without Borders MEGABUNDLE 2
- Player Options for Doctors Without Borders
There’s also a Wizards of the Coast press event going on right now-ish, and no doubt that news will break just the summary hits in your inbox. If you’re no D&D fan, then that’s probably of little interest to you.
This week there’s the usual mix of D&D and not-D&D RPG news in the mix, though, so it’s safe enough to keep skimming below.
So, with that said, let’s get all that promised RPG news.
Win: Tree spirit t-shirt
RPG news from Geek Native
- There’s the usual bundle section below but let’s also call out all the special Ukraine bundles coordinated by OBS.
- EN Publishing also has a Ukraine 5e bundle on Indiegogo.
- Roundabout now, Wizards of the Coast are holding a secret press event.
- Wizards of the Coast re-released more Dragonlance old D&D content.
- James Introcaso has written a Zweihander adventure due out in print later this year called Eternal Night of Lockwood.
- Midnight Owl Games published a free to download Improved Herbalism Kit.
- White Witch Games shared their Savage World campaign setting quickstart with a free to download Vermilium.
- DMsGuild newcomer Carinn Gaspar released a free Book of Backgrounds.
- In computer games news, a new deal between Wizards of the Coast and SNEG mean a return of Dark Sun, Dragonlance and other D&D gold box classics.
- In merch news, Merchoid has some of the limited edition Volo’s Guide to Monsters Medallions.
- Since it was St Paddy’s Day, Geek Native took a quick look at these Drunk Rules for 5e.
- I took a longer look at the mythic Celtic/Roman-inspired Legends of Avallen
- Pinnacle notes the news that Cullen Bunn’s The Sixth Gun might get a TV series, and they have got the RPG and a bundle to support it.
- In the Bundle of Holding, there’s hard sci-fi action in the Blue Planet RPGs.
- In Humble, there’s a Pathfinder 1e deal and one for the classic Marc Miller’s Traveller RPG.
Spotlight: Wider Path Games
RPG news from around the web
- D&D Beyond shared a free adventure to introduce NPCs from Critical Role’s Call of the Netherdeep. It’s The Great Jigow Scavenger Hunt!
- At Dicebreaker, Alex Meehan notes that Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition sourcebooks are getting re-released.
- Also noted, Robin Williams was a fan of the Cyberpunk tabletop RPG, according to its creator.
- R. Talsorian Games gave us a look at Tome of Chaos, Priests & Religion.
- MP3S & NPCS covered the Official Faith No More TTRPG announcement, as did Dicebreaker.
- CBC wrote up Got questions about the economy? Play Dungeons & Dragons, says economist.
- And just a heads up, 365 Games are offering up to 90% off in their BIG Spring Sale which includes RPGs, dice and board games.
RPG reviews and interviews from around the web
- Critical Role’s Call of the Netherdeep reviews are out and we’ve got;
- At GeekTyrant, Tommy Williams looks again at the Power Rangers RPG.
- The Other Side reviews the old AD&D 2nd edition Celts Campaign Sourcebook,the 2nd printing of Castles & Crusades: Codex Celtarium, Codex Nordica, Codex Egyptium and Codex Slavorum.
- Reviews from R’lyeh cover Knave.
- Roleplayers Chronicle looked at Strixhaven: A Curriculum of Chaos.
- At RPG.net, John Wright reviewed Shadow of the Demon Lord.
- Egg Embry interviews Design Ministries’ Wade Dyer on Fragged Empire 2nd Edition.
- Handiwork Games interview the Beowulf RPG writer Marco Rafala.
- Deborah Ann Woll talks to Rob Wieland about her latest Dungeons & Dragons Adventure.
- Shack News talks to Roll20’s new CEO Ankit Lal on his biggest priorities and challenges.
RPG new releases
- Technical Grimoire Games publish the Troika-centric but universal RPG about skeletons exploring the ocean floor. It’s Bones Deep.
- Livres de l’Ours released the sci-fi RPG inspired by books like Altered Carbon, the Commonwealth Saga and the Culture Cycle with Into the Dark.
- Red Plate Entertainment published their d100 sci-fi Swords and Spaceships.
- Andrew Benton and Kethos Project Publishing released the 2022 revised edition of the five-part adventure Crown of Kadashman and the 400-paged Kethos Book 1: The Continent of Faradath.
- Catalyst Game Labs released Shadowrun: Emerald City.
- Rose on Mars releases a game about the last days of the near-immortal with Wicked & Graceful.
- Dice Kapital has published the environmentalist cybernoir Ecopunk: 2044
- Renegade Games is taking pre-orders on the G.I. Joe RPG.
RPG bundle deals
- Save $108.14 (96%) and do good with this McNabb Games organised Ukraine Redcross Relief bundle.
- Save $40.59 (60%) with Ken Wickham’s Horror Subgenre Zines bundle.
- Save $27.00 (15%) with this DMsGuild bundle on Van Richten’s Encylopedia to Darklords & Domains.
- Save $25.53 (53%) with Onyx Path Publishing’s CofD Dark History bundle.
- Save $8.97 (33%) with Cult Adventures Cult of Flesh (5e) bundle.
- Save $3.99 (11%) with Grim Press’ Allies & Antagonists – PDF & Tokens bundle.
- Save $3.00 (40%) with Surreal Estate Games’ Lightning League Bundle #1.
RPG ideas, tips and discoveries
- Long Tail Games, with a Kickstarter to support, shared with 50 tips and resources for making your own single-page RPG.
- Ben and the Genre Police tackled how to carry on with a new campaign in The Difficult Second Album.
- Coins and Scrolls shared this thorough write-up of Zak (Sabbath) Smith and the Lawsuits.
- Vincent Baker penned a typically great article about Otherkind Dice.
- CBR shared their Top 10 GMLess Role Playing Games.
- At Goodman Games, Brian Murphy asks Dungeons & Dragons: Friend or Foe of Sword-and-Sorcery?.
You can see those Kickstarters and other crowdfunding campaigns that caught Geek Native’s attention over at Kickstarter watch. Here are some industry projects worth a mention;
- Foxern is chasing an ambitious target for a weird west/high fantasy called Pistol Dust RPG.
- Five tracks and five encounters well and truly funded in Plague Grave, a Soundscape for Fantasy RPGs by Philip Reed.
- Ten maps with encounters and traps in Map Pack by Adventure Squaredv
- Max Power Dice return with customised Magic Voodoo Dice Sets (relaunch)
- Ema Acosta has funded a Crescent Moon expansion with THE EXILES — A dark fantasy RPG.
- Jess Reilly will have you fight monsters and sail across the Astra Seas in Starlight to Starboard #1: A Navy Adventure for 5e.
- The Arcane Gearsmith has funded 3d printable figures in Sand Dwellers – Rise of the Swarm.
- Brian T Burrell hits targets for all-in-one printable figures with Kingdom of the Eight Pillars 天下八柱.
- newyear Studios has beaten their target three times over with Ossarium: An OSR Bestiary Vol.1 | Beasts of the Dying Lands.
- Mark Lain has funded the 5th adventure game book in the series with Destiny’s Role 4: Kaleidoscope Frenzy.
- Greg Lambert has pulp fantasy in 5e with the sword and sorcery inspired The Chronicles of Aeres: The Doom that Came to Astreas.
- Zach Poirier has content for players and DMs with the the Howling Harpy’s Monster Hunter Handbook: a 5e supplement.
- Wyvern Trinkets has funded sets of colourful Dreamy Mermaid Tail Metal Dice with Glimmering Scales.
- Christopher Brown has matching dice and location inspired candles on offer in Smells Like D&D.
- Toby Lancaster has an updated and complete edition of Rad Zone Totality – The 1-2 Player Roll and Write Game.
- Little Dragon Miniatures have hit target on Road Decorations – Printable STL Files.
- Guinevere Llyn also hit their modest target for SD printable Pay What You Want: Viking Houses.
- Critters Cavern has Dungeons and Taverns STL’s.
- Penny Dragon Games has tens of thousand of dollars pledged now for Bergin’s Book of Beasts – DnD 5e.
- LoreSmyth returns to Kickstarter, has nearly 2,000 backers and success with 🛡️Remarkable Guilds & Their Heroes – GM guide for Any RPG.
- Guillermo Buenfil has funded two new sets of unique and Adaptable Encounters for D&D5E – $1USD Into The Wild Edition.
- Tree Bee Games is working on 5e custom dice and card CRIT Effect (Spells & Magic) FRIGHT Effect (Fear & Phobias).
- Robin’s Nerd Supplies wants to make metal mathrocks with The Revenge: Hollow Pirate Dice.
- NerdBurger and Craig Campbell have funded a comedic super-hero game of Staged Heroism RPG.
- Jason Ward is all over the news with an official Faith No More tabletop roleplaying game. A Powered by the Apocalypse adaptation that’s The Real Thing RPG
- Griffin Macaulay has over $350,000 pledged to fund more than 500 game-ready magic items, player options and 5e rules in The Griffon’s Saddlebag: Book 2.
- Blind Visionary Publications has a DCC introductory adventure funded in the shape of Smoking Wyrm Monograph 2: The Hangman’s Garden.
- Tetrahedron Games have funded a resin and available painted Frost Phoenix Dice Tower.
- Daniel James is working on a Mork Borg inspired the Sepulchre of endless Dread.
- Daniel James, the same one, also launched a guide to starting campaigns and eight scenarios with Adventure Begins Here.
If there’s a source or news you think is worth monitoring, please get in touch or leave a comment below.