Gang, it’s been a long week!
Fortunately, there’s been plenty of RPG news to keep brains distracted here in the North from the unrelenting encroachment of winter of darkness.
Is it the season for Kickstarters? We’ve had a mini-boom this week.
It’s also a new month! We’re nearly at the end of the year. How did that happen?
Oh yeah, the unrelenting encroachment of winter. That means Patrons have a new chance to vote in the RPG Publisher Spotlight.
The candidates are;
Gallant Knight Games won this month’s vote.
It’s barely related, but it feels wrong not to address COP26, the world important eco-summit happening not terribly far from Geek Native over in Glasgow. How often do you look at the green creds of publishers when it comes to Kickstarters or retail lines? I think I could do better here.
So, with that said, let’s get exploring this week’s RPG news.
Win: Doctor Who: Missy
RPG news from Geek Native
- Kickstarter cracks down on overlapping campaigns.
- Paizo drops the real-world religious term phylacteries.
- Creative Lead, Adam Lee left Wizards of the Coast.
- The blog published a review of the released-to-backers PDF of Lord of the Rings RPG – The One Ring 2e.
- Geek Native took a quick look at the candle based RPG Gloom.
- Leyline Press shared a little look at the upcoming Salvage Union.
- RPG Zine campaign SideQuest launched.
- A free quickstart and pay-what-you-want adventure for Fractured.
- Supporting the Kickstarter, there’s a free to download preview of Monte Cook Games’ Path of the Planebreaker.
- The soundboard Tabletopy has released soundboard downloads via DriveThruRPG along with the free to use website.
- Porcupine Publishing has released a beta version of Revolution Comes to the Kingdom.
- In a first, Egg Embry interviews for Geek Native and talks to Banana Chan and Sadia Bies about Suburban Consumption of the Monstrous.
- At the Bundle of Holding you can pick up the Traveller Imperium Tour.
- It’s a busy week at Humble with deals on Numenera, cartography software with the Maps Bonanza and Dungeons & Monsters.
Spotlight Gallant Knight Games
RPG news from around the web
- Paizo expands its leadership by adding Mike Webb and Jim Butler.
- Paizo are also raising money for ExtraLife.
- Goodman Games turns 20 and celebrates by giving away posters.
- Character generator site NeverEnding teams p with Ashland University for themed avatars.
- J.N. Butler and 59 other creators launched a Mutual Aid bundle for Tenbear.
- Roll20 published an update on their Black Lives Matter progress.
RPG reviews and interviews from around the web
- The Jacobin Magazine opines Dungeons & Dragons Is a Case Study in How Capitalism Kills Art.
- The Other Side reviewed the OSR-vibe Chromatic Dungeons RPG in Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3.
- Jared Rascher at Gnome Stew reviewed the Modern Age Mastery Guide.
- Bones of Contention reviewed the Labyrinth Lord adventure Wheel of Evil.
- CGMagazine reviewed Fizban’s Treasury of Dragons.
- Fandom Spotlite also offered up A Treasury of Ideas: A Review of Fizban’s Treasury of Dragons.
- Charles Dunwoody reviewed the Soulbound Bestiary.
- OnTableTop reviews Free League Publishing’s Alien RPG Starter Set.
- The Tabletop Almanac shared a review of World of Darkness: Ghost Hunters.
- Refereeing and Reflection reviewed Masks of Nyarlathotep.
- Bleeding Cool reviewed The Wild Beyond the Witchlight.
- Reviews from R’lyeh 1500’s review is for Call of Cthulhu.
- Halfway Station 3.0 reviewed 5150 New Beginnings and City Deck.
- Strange Assembly reviewed The Book of Nod.
- Egg Embry interviews David Somerville of Atlas Games for The Star-Shaman’s Song of Planegea for 5e.
- Matt McElroy published an interview with Matt Forbeck.
RPG new releases
- Monte Cook Games are taking pre-orders on Claim the Sky and the free preview is available now.
- Porcupine Publishing has released the Elephant and Macaw Banner adventure The Mysterious Demesne of Dom Perestrelo.
- One Page Gaming released the beta of Map Maker Adventures – Core Rule Book.
- The Dice has published an RPG about austerity crushing a town called How to Embrace a Swamp Creature.
- C.S. Daley published the RPG Yjoarvalla: Descent into Adventure.
- TA Forlenza and DM Bahamut released the 5e Rise of the Atlanteans, Atlantis Player’s Handbook.
- Following the Kickstarter project, the SWADE setting New Bristol is out.
RPG bundle deals
- Save $140 (88%) in Legendary Games’ 20 for 20 V 5e mega-bundle.
- Save $14.66 (50%) in the DMs Guild’s All Good Things Start in a Tavern bundle.
- Save £13.11 (45%) in Dreaming Gynoid’s Galaxy Black Judges bundle.
- Save $9.94 (33%) in Lucky Dice Games’ Tavern/Town/Dungeon Tables bundle.
- Save $0.69 (8%) in Dreaming Gynoid’s Sparkly Princess Horrors bundle.
RPG ideas, tips and discoveries
- Award-winning fantasy author C.K. Donnelly wrote for Geek Native Maps, Meteorology & Magic: Don’t begin your next quest without a weather check.
- Opinionated Gamers writes up The Dice of Gen Con.
- Tribality’s Brandes Stoddard help us explore Aquatic Traps.
- At CBR, Jennifer Melzer took the time to go through Every Spell introduced in Fizban’s Treasury of Dragons, Ranked.
- Edge Studio wrote up L5R’s Writ of the Wilds: The Way of the Shinomen.
- The Disoriented Ranger offers a defense of randomized content in RPGs.
- Lumpley Games published an article on Independent Project in Game Design.
You can see those Kickstarters and other crowdfunding campaigns that caught Geek Native’s attention over at Kickstarter watch. Here are some industry projects worth a mention;
- DH Gaming Workshop are offering hollow metal dice from hell. It’s Demon Crest Dice! A metal polyhedral dice set for TTRPG.
- Aaron Prior has funded a tropical island port with a monster-infested jungle in Expedition to Chimpanzor Island: A 5e Adventure.
- Giga Merch Games have trippled their funding goal for SCP: The Roleplaying Game – Foundation Edition.
- Polyhedra Games have a dark fantasy module for MORK BORG with THE PLAGUED CRYPT OF HELVETE.
- Jak from Last Nerds on Earth has a D&D module based on Alice in Wonderland with Insurrection of the Twisted Fey.
- Critical Kit has funded a solo RPG in which you Be Like a Crow.
- Nice looking D10s by Enifael.,
- 23rd Century Productions are funding their sci-fi military Battlelords RPG & Fully Armored: Gear Manual.
- Dakota Graham is offering a new RPG but has will struggle to fund Ovisia: The Dawn of Astraeus.
- Elegent and sharp-edged Dice by Mirage.
- Mongoose Publishing and Matthew Sprange have already smashed through funding goals for the Traveller RPG: The Journal of the Travellers’ Aid Society II.
- Melee Range are funding a system agnostic Valdar’s Guide to Unusual Familiars.
- Scott Taylor has part 3 of the AD&D and 5e Folio #28 The Howling Dungeon Gaming Adventure!
- Track adventures and plan characters with the THEORYCRAFT: D&D 5e ADVENTURE JOURNAL – NEW COVER COLOURS!!!
- The Merciless Merchants are funding an adventure for 5e, OSE and OSRIC. It’s the Voyages on the Zontani Sea.
- Marc Schubert has found dice in surprising places. Ice Cream Float Dice: End of the Rainbow.
- Modern Artifice have endless patterns on Metal Maze Dice: Solid Metal Dice for Tabletop Roleplaying.
- Tim Krause has a 5e, AD&D and DCC adventure of an ancient mystery. It’s Teufel’s Manor: A 5th Edition Demonic Campaign
- 2CGaming are funding a 5e collection of magical and mundane Rewards & Rarities.
- 2nd Dynasty have officially licensed 3d-printable designs for Traveller RPG Starship Miniatures.
- Stefan Surrat and Dragon Peak Publishing have two DCC adventures in the shape of The Brimstone Cradle & The Hills That Hunger.
- Spider and cobweb elements on hollowed-out Metal Prisoner Cage RPG Game Dices.
- Freecom hs a Victorian era setting with ARN – Argentum Res Novae for 5e.
- Steve Anna has a complete 5e adventurewith 3d printable minis in Celebration of the Elements.
- William Murakami-Brundage has an adventure for 1st and 2nd level characters. It’s The Tomb of Palu: A D&D 5e Adventure.
- Troll Lord Games and Stephen Chenault are offering 4-panel shields/GM screens with Castles & Crusades Castle Keepers Screens.
- Power of Design have 7 dice in the A Wanderer’s Oracle: Hand-Carved Dice Inspired by World Tree.
- The Grinning Frog offers stories, stats and adventures in Hal and Roger’s Creature Compendium for 5e.
- e-Raptor has funded printed and easy to set up models with Fantasy Battlegrounds – RPG scenery & wargaming terrains.
- Fool’s Moon Entertainment have an urban story about a mysterious force with the Checkmate TTRPG.
- Lair have official Numenera – 3D Printable models.
- Laurie O’Connnel has funded Stolen Crown ｜ An Adventure for Lancer RPG.
- Tristan Zimmerman has a tabletop about collecting magical sea hanties in 1880 as Shanty Hunters.
- John McGuire is funding a cinematic sci-fi survival RPG called Point Nemo.
- Jacob Fleming has funded an OSE adventure with Through the Valley of the Manticore.
- Aethon Games has a drinking game for RPGs. It’s Dungeons and Flagons: 5e Drinking Companion Game.
- Brittani has one-shot adventures for 1st to 5th level characters in Eldendale Christmas.
- Salty Games has a neon-samurai world RPG for people who enjoy character-creation. It’s NewEdo RPG.
- DeepDark Designs has a new collection of spooky floorplans for tabletop RPGs in Bloody Blueprints & Macabre Maps: Season II Quickstarter.
- Blue Oxrat is funding a large expansion for the Tiny Dungeon setting Between Sun & Shadow: Realms of Adventure.
- Andrew Clissold has a 5e D&D adventure called The Grey Dwarven Underground City of Onager.
- Legendary Games have 200-pages of monsters, magic and player options in Mother of Monsters: DnD 5E adventure inspired by Greek myths.
- Newt Newport has funded a cyberpunk game set in the 23rd century with Reboot the Future.
- Themed minis for 3d printing with Velrock Art Miniatures: Company of Dragons.
- Ill Gotten Games has a collection of STL files scanned from traditionally sculpted minis in the Old School Archive.
- Moroni E. Montuy is offering different scales of 3D Printable Miniatures for Tabletop Games STLs and OBJs.
- Michael Grayson S has an illustrated mega-dungeon called The Palace of 1001 Rooms, Chapter 6: Halls of Glory.
- Jaso Ermer has funded a rules-light RPG designed for short adventures and younger players. It’s the Chronicles of the Everflame Collective.
- Dave Thaumavore has a Powered by the Apocalypse RPG about jumping from parallel Earth to Earth. It’s Fluxfall Horizon
- Samantha Leigh has smashed targets for a storytelling game about discovering yourself after memory loss. It’s Anamnesis: A Tarot Game.
- RG Scculpt has a range of 3d printable LegendofGiants.
- Adaevy Creations also has 3d printable files for THE YOKAI ENCOUNTER.
- Brian Tamayo is funding an RPG/card game hybrid called Knights & Summons.
If there’s a source or news you think is worth monitoring, please get in touch or leave a comment below.