I’m sick but have new shoes to distract me… and the wheel of RPPG news turns regardless.
Wizards of the Coast are up to something. They’ve filed a new trademark and it sounds digital and mentions RPGs, but it’s awfully broad.
If you care more about indie RPGs then SideQuest is still running. That’s a place to find some crowdfunding zines, and not always on Kickstarter. You can see some in the Kickstarter bullets right at the bottom.
Tiger Paw Press is also offering savings of over $230 in a bundle deal, which helps confirm tracking bundles is the right thing to do.
So, with that said, let’s get exploring this week’s RPG news and new shoes.
RPG news from Geek Native
- The latest Orr Report is out with D&D firm, Call of Cthulhu and Vampire: The Masquerade booming.
- Wizards of the Coast has registered a new trademark with Atomic Arcade.
- OneBookShelf added three new charities to their system; the Southern Poverty Law Centre, Outreach Action International, and the DOTS RPG Project.
- And here’s a look at evergreen and ExtraLife supporting DMs Guild titles.
- Steve Jackson Games has managed to bring back into print the whole GURPS Conan range.
- Geek Native spoke to game designer Eva Terra ahead of the release of Burning Hearts Forever.
- Geek Native took a quick look at the free to download but beta setting for the Byte RPG Yeraksys: Dying World.
- Red Ruin Publishing and David Donachie released the Dragon Warriors solo adventure Icon of Death.
- There’s another fanmade Dark Souls TTRPG, so Geek Native did a little tour of a few alternatives.
- The Bundle of Holding is offering up the Worldbuilder’s Toolkit 8.
Spotlight Gallant Knight Games
RPG news from around the web
- Goodman Games impressively raised $4,000 for charity. They also shared the winners of the Goodie Awards for 2021.
- Dicebreaker’s Chase Carter got into United Paizo Workers: How the Pathfinder creators organised, and what’s next for tabletop RPGs’ first union.
- Polygon takes a look at the Kickstarter for Cy_borg, a MORK BORG game using art by Johan Nohr.
- Paizo Publishing honoured Native Amerian Heritage Month.
- EN World snapped pictures from WotC’s Strixhaven preview video.
RPG reviews and interviews from around the web
- Wargamer notes that Fallout: the Roleplaying Game is a love letter to the Bethesda RPGs.
- Crossplanes reviews Evils of Illmire.
- Reviews from R’lyeh digs into The Dark Heart of Roskem and Leagues of Cthulhu’s Cthulhu Codicil.
- Roleplayers Chronicle offers up a review of Outland.
- Angel’s Citadel reviews the City of Mist.
- Refereeing and Reflection reviews Call of Cthulhu’s Children of Fear.
- Beth Rimmels shared a review of the Dungeon Master’s Screen Dungeon Kit.
- Nerds of Earth took a look at Lost Omens: Grand Bazaar.
- The Other Side reviewed Dark Streets & Darker Secrets.
- MuggleNet’s Rex Hadden reviewed The Game Master’s Book of Non-Player Characters
- These Old Games reviewed In the Hollow of the Spider Queen.
- The Tabletop Almanac took a look at Pathfinder 2e.
- Egg Embry interviews Philip Reed about mimics.
RPG new releases
- Chaosium published the RuneQuest Starter Set, which is also available from them directly.
- Onyx Path Publishing’s RPG of the original comic book series Legendlore is out.
- R. Talsorian Games has released the omnibus Interface RED.
- James Wallis set up an Itch.io store which means games like The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen RPG, third edition are newly released there.
- Four-Color Studios has published Super Action Role-Play.
- David Blandy gave us the 8,000 years ago Climate Cataclysm and Welcome to Brighthelm.
- Vox Umbra Games published the 1920s detective game Through A Glass.
- Games from the Wildwood published the Celtic fantasy To Tread the Spiral Path.
- At the DMs Guild, Dylan Glen released The Beasts of Arocoa.
- Steve Jackson Games published Adventures 2 for The Fantasy Trip.
RPG bundle deals
- Save $231.07 (45%) in Tiger Paw Press’ TPP PDF product bundle.
- Save $72.93 (35%) in Tab Creations’ Age of Ambition bundle.
- Save $24.99 (30%) in the DMs Guild’ The Draconomicon (Softcover Edition) bundle.
- Save $7.98 (38%) in Open Ended Games’ Against the Darkmaster Adventures bundle.
- Save £6.79 (40%) in Magpie Games’ Our Last Hope bundle.
- Save $4.05 (46%) in Zadmar Games’ Tricube Tales bundle.
RPG ideas, tips and discoveries
- It turns out few people know what a pointscrawl is, and the Genre Police discuss this in Too Cool For School.
- In a clever post, Coins and Scrolls shares game agnostic Sci-Fi: Assorted Gear and Upgrades.
- False Machine asks What Pops an NPC?.
- Britanny Vick wrote up Designing for Accessibility at Roll20.
- Chaosium published this thread about their history.
- The Alexandrian shared Untested 5e – Fighting Kaiju.
- World Anvil wrote up 5 Tips on How to Expand Your Worldbuilding.
You can see those Kickstarters and other crowdfunding campaigns that caught Geek Native’s attention over at Kickstarter watch. Here are some industry projects worth a mention;
- Anthony Woods has smashed targets for Yarg’s Guide to Puzzles & Traps for 5e.
- Mystic-Realm’s gives us Act 4: Mud Pod House Mini Expansion Terrain.
- Raybox Games has laser-cut HDF The GRID 3D Modular Terrain.
- Nureaf Studios can avoid restrictive angles with Stone Dungeon Walls with Magnetic Joints 3D Print STL Files.
- Matthias Adolph has STL files to let you print out ELEMENTALS.
- Sam Armstrong has funded a #SideQuest2021 tool to generate dungeons with cards. It’s the 52 Card Dungeon.
- Jess Francis has a 54 card deck with all sorts of D&D Quick Reference Cards.
- Modular Worlds is offering 100+ pre-supported STL files in the Expansion of Hogeth.
- Eddie Bartlette has a Mutant Crawl Classics compatible level-0 adventure called Carnage in the Casino.
- Koval Liudmila has funded a 3d printable Hut on the Swamp. Pay What You Want!.
- Brian C is looking for backers for The Five Dreams of Seetharaman D&D 5E mini-campaign.
- DemonSkunk Studios is offering a world of floating islands and ancient techno-ruins in Aether Adrift RPG for Savage Worlds.
- Daniel James hit target in 24 hours for a game-agnostic fantasy region called The Duchy of Pinevale.
- Miciah Dodge has a tabletop RPG that emulates dramas like Indiana Jones. It’s Thrilling Adventures! Tabletop Role Playing Game.
- Rich Lescouflair merges mystic fantasy with heroic sci-fi in Expedition from the Mysterious Peaks.
- Bloat Games are crowdfunding SURVIVE THIS!! Dark Places & Demogorgons RPG Hardcover.
- Chronicle Cards have 8-piece resin sets of Dragon Dice #1 – Caladium.
- ColesephStalin is funding a new RPG with new and classic inspiration in Ascend from Darkness.
- Christian Eichhorn has a MORK BORG adventure into the valley of the unfortunate dead with the Bone Heart Crusaders.
- Andrew Zorowitz has six new metal pins in the Mystery Loot: Holiday Loot Edition.
- Appendix N Entertainment has an updated Solar Sanctuary of the Cannibal Corpse: REMASTERED for OSE.
- Jason DM has funded a printed Book of Assassin and Criminal Contracts For D&D 5E.
- Michael Elliott has funded a single-player RPG of macrocosmic corporate horror called Merger.
- Gearwork Gaming has a unique modular The Druid’s Hoard: A Tabletop Terrain System.
- Crippled God Foundry has raised thousands for their printable fantasy terrain in Ruins of Hollow Hills.
- Victoria is offering an army of wild and weird west Tumbleweed: 3D Printable TTRPG minis (28-32mm) Pre-supported.
- SmokyCreation wants to put power in your hands with The DZ Dice – inspired by the ferocity of a dragon.
If there’s a source or news you think is worth monitoring, please get in touch or leave a comment below.