As the weather begins to make a slow turn for the better here in Scotland, let’s take a second to sit down and scan through all the RPG news out this week.
As you’ll see, there’s been lots of new releases, and that’s not uncommon for this time of year. We’ve big online conventions on this weekend which makes it an even more tempting time for publishers to press the button.
On the note of publishers, and as we move to the end of the month, here’s a reminder that Geek Native’s Patreons (who are incredible people) can vote in the RPG Publisher Spotlight. It’s a chance to promote a publisher or creator you like or find out more about one that makes you curious.
In this week’s Routinely Itemised, the “heat” chart at the end of the crowdsourcing section has been changed to a 10-week rolling average look at Kickstarter. You can still examine the stats.
Right now, here’s the rest of the RPG news!
RPG news from Geek Native
- Remastered footage of TV news coverage back when America was gripped in the Satanic Panic.
- Geek Native took a quick look at a site that lets you rent tabletop RPG downloads called RPG Kitchen.
- Josh Fox and publisher Black Armada have a great sci-fi RPG, reviewed this week, called Last Fleet.
- On the blog, I reviewed the werewolf RPG Wolf Hounds.
- There was also time to look at the solo RPG So You Want The Tall Vampire Lady to Catch You.
- Green Ronin announced the Summer of Starhaven.
- Supporting the forthcoming Goblin comic book, there’s a free to download 5e adventure called Beware the Dark Sisterhood.
- Geek Native does some myth-busting with what you can and cannot use your Hero Forge minis for.
- As part of the first Dungeon Con Online, Graycastle Press has released a solo RPG Journey bundle.
- The Design Mechanism has a collection of goodies up at The Bundle of Holding in a Mythras Setting deal.
- With an attractive offer, Free League Publishing and Humble Bundle have teamed up to promote Tales from the Loop and Symbaroum.
Spotlight Tacitus Publishing
RPG news from around the web
- J.R. Zamabrano writes up how WotC Adds Three New Types of Drow, Retcons Drow Lore.
- The PaizoCon sale is on from now until the 31st with 20% off.
- The D&D Adventurers League partnered with the DMs Guild in support of Asian Mental Health Collective. There’s a fund-raising bundle.
- Planescape artist Tony DiTerlizzi shared a Planescape playlist.
- Baldman Games have put together, in beta, a Red Carpet Treatment for the Virtual D&D Weekend.
- Renegade Game Studios announces two new Vampire 5e books including Sabbat: The Black Hand.
- Cubicle 7 now have WFRP Starter Set and Rough Nights & Hard Days on Roll20.
- Green Ronin announced the first major supplement for The Expanse RPG with Ships of the Expanse.
- World Anvil sourced this collection of free one-shots from their community.
- As ICv2 notes, Big Companies Continue to Bail on Attending Gen Con Indy 2021.
RPG reviews and interviews from around the web
- Polygon’s Chris King said If role-playing teaches improvisation, then Blades in the Dark is a master class.
- Charles Dunwoody reviewed the Call of Cthulhu slipcase set.
- Antonios S reviewed Malleus Monstrorum Keeper Deck.
- Throat Punch Games wrote up a ring side report for Achtung! Cthulhu 2d20: Operation Vanguard.
- Strange Assembly reviewed the Legends of the Five Rings Fields of Victory and Vampire 5e’s Cults of the Blood Gods.
- Scholarly Adventures reviewed RIFTS World Book 1: Vampire Kingdoms.
- The Viridian Scroll penned a capsule review of Kriegsmesser.
- Angel’s Citadel reviews Ptolus – Monte Cook’s City by the Spire and Kenneth Hite’s Night’s Black Agents.
- Jared Rascher reviewed Kingdom 2nd Edition.
- The Black Campbell reviewed The Troubleshooters RPG.
- Monsters and Manuals reviewed Lyonesse RPG, The Gaean Reach RPG, and D&D.
- The Geek Initiative put together an early look at the ghost hunting Deittman Files.
- Reviews from R’lyeh looked at Horror in the Windy City and Bayt Al Azif.
- Dan Davenport reviewed SLA Industries 2nd edition.
- Egg Embry interviewed Jason Andrew and J Childs of Mighty Narwhal Productions about Morra Cinematic Game System.
- Chase Carter penned Shawn Tomkin has reached the stars with Ironsworn: Starforged, but he couldn’t do it alone.
RPG new releases
- Bloat Games published their “What if Luke never left Tatooine” inspired sci-fi Scorched – An Apocalyptic Science Fiction Roleplaying Game.
- Leo Prikler is making a point with an RPG called Fuck Adobe.
- Riley Hopkins released an RPG about being in class wishing you were playing sports called Extracurriculars.
- Micro RPG released their Micro Sci-Fi RPG: Basic Rules.
- Daniel Kwan released a game in which you are the last surviving member of the Bureau of Paranatural Survey task force. It’s Wicked Congregation.
- Pinnacle Entertainment released the Savage Worlds East Texas University Study Abroad.
- Neil Walker released a free download of The Famous Five Adventure Game.
- Gelatinous Cubism has a great name and published their OSE adventure In the Shadow of Tower Silveraxe.
- White Hack RPG published the sci-fi RPG Suldokar’s Wake Core Arc Omnibus.
- Delilah Worthy released a game of confidence, gambling and witches with Midnight Sabbath.
- Osprey Publishing released the fantasy campaign Jackals: The Fall of the Children of Bronze.
- Gavriel Quiroga published an original science fantasy RPG called Warpland.
- Ahead of a Kickstarter launch, Gila RPG released the quickstart to their sci-fi Nova.
- World Champ Game Co. published the 2nd edition of Babes in the Wood.
- Realmwarp Media released the 5e setting Cities of Myth: Atlantis Divided.
- Hex games released the faraway romp of Laser Ponies (2e).
- WanderSquares released The Underwood Tunnels.
- Duelling Dragon Adventures released their 5e-compatible The Chronicles of Aeres Setting Handbook.
- Modiphius released the first supplement for Achtung! Cthulhu 2d20 Under the Gun.
RPG bundle deals
- Save $71.55 (74%) with Son of Oak Game Studio’s City of Mist: Nights of Payne Town.
- Save $239.44 (50%) with Tiger Paw Press’ Bundle.
- Save $10.45 (41%) with Momentous Maps Monster Mansion Mega Bundle.
- Save $7.50 (50%) with Dancing Light Press’ Medieval Saints.
- Save $4.95 (25%) with Onyx Path Publishing’s Divine Bundle – Phase One.
- Save $80 (88%) and support AAPI with the DMs Guild DDAL Charity Bundle.
RPG ideas, tips and discoveries
- The Genre Police stepped up to offer advice for when you GM with just one player.
- Find out where your players hope the next action scene might be set in this open poll on vehicles for RPGs.
- For clever cooking or even a bit of mischief, it’s Sugar Dice.
- Hobby shop out of bugbear models? No problem.
- Dungeon guards know the truth and always insist must be my imagination.
- Agents of Syn wrote up Creating a Crystal Heart character.
- Wargamer’s Callum Bains suggested D&D 5E spells: the most useful D&D spells for an adventuring party.
- Kobold Press’s Basheer Ghouse wrote up Into the Wilderness: Presenting Choice.
You can see those Kickstarters and other crowdfunding campaigns that caught Geek Native’s attention over at Kickstarter watch. Here are some industry projects worth a mention;
- DenisS is crowdfunding a book of logic puzzles and tricky riddles to try on your players. It’s the Book of Riddles for Role-Playing Games.
- Dice Dungeons are running a big Kickstarter for designer crushed stone dice. Groovy Dice: Mid-Century Inspired Stone RPG Dice
- Catastrophe Games have smashed funding goals for their Roll-and-Write game inspired by the true story of USS Laffey: The Ship That Would Not Die Game.
- Dice Sculptor launched an ambitious project to offer user-designed mathrocks. It’s Dice Sculptor: Custom Designed Dice.
- Philip Reed is at it again, another success, and a pair of tri-fold brochures with A Wizard’s Dying Wish and Other Tales, for the Mörk Borg RPG.
- Ogareg Miniatures want players to do double-takes when they see these Bicorniclops – the cursed mythos – | 3D printable models.
- Vincent Verdiny is Kickstarting a Cyberpunk RPG with differences. It’s UNDER NEON.
- Nick Baran and Breaker Press Games has funded a DCC RPG-compatible zine of locations, NPCs and rumour tables. Welcome to The Stennard Courier Vol. I.
- Mark Franzen has funded these jewellery quality hollow and solid metal dice. IT’s Dragon Bound Hollow and Solid Metal RPG Dice.
- Wyrmkeep Entertainment will publish a Mutants & Masterminds RPG module called Heroic Havoc #2: Elements of Justice.
- Fireforge Games has launched a new range of dwarves. It’s Stone Realm: Hard plastic multi-part dwarves in 28mm scale.
- MeepleForge want your dungeons and loot encounters to look better and are offering up RPG / Adventure 3D Printable Treasure Chests.
- Diego Pisa Artworks have funded a soulful adventure compatible with any RPG. My Dear Bride!
- For mature model painters, lead-free pewter minis based on Tales of the Warlock; 13th Warlock Miniatures: Revenge Of The Gobcocker.
- Headless Hydra Press have a compilation of 12 Sandbox Adventures for 5E.
- John Power Jr has funded and writers about RPGs, wargames, board games and culture in Wyrd Science – Issue 2!.
- LU Miniatures has a clever hardware project in the shape of LightUp360: The lamp for miniature painting.
- Leslie has these “over-whale-ming” 7-set White Whale in Dice – Polyhedral dice set.
- Witches and Wizards have funded this set of unique handmade resin dice. The project? Witches and Wizards: Sharp Edge dice for RPG games.
- Danielle has launched an ambitious project for handmade dice inspired by stones and gems. Introducing PRIMUS Sharp Edge Dice.
- Olivier Revenu has attracted hundreds of backers on the strength of Knock 1. For OSR weirdos, it’s Knock! Issue Two.
- Ryan Borgeson is funding 60+ minis in the spirit of classic RPGs with Monsters of Sol’an: Fantasy Monster Miniatures.
- Travis D. Hill has funded a 1 to 2 player game about generations and change. Remember, this world is not yours: an RPG zine.
- Richard Kelly has a set of brutal and accursed fishing rules for Mork Borg in FISK BORG.
If there’s a source or news you think is worth monitoring, please get in touch or leave a comment below.