It’s a stormy Friday here in the UK.
However, as soon as this RPG news summary is live, yours truly is donning his battered leather jacket, pulling on his floppy beanie and venturing out into the wild darkness of the Leith docks.
It’s reason to be happy today beyond my curry as it’s also Itch.io’s Creator Day.
For today only, the platform takes 0% off sales, and it means the games’ creators get more. I’m happy to support Itch too, but do try and buy something today as well.
I also try and say Thank You. It’s thank you to Patreons, or people who become a site patron soon, with this game of cosmic horror and governmental paperwork. It’s Party First. Nudge: There’s also the Party First: Twilight War Kickstarter on.
So, with that said, let’s get exploring this week’s RPG news.
RPG news from Geek Native
- One day started for Wizards of the Coast as Hasbro, their parent company, discovered that significant shareholders were demanding that WotC was spun-off.
- That same day ended with official marketing coms from Hasbro releasing news before Wizards of the Coast had of the D&D starter set Dragons of Stormwreck Isle.
- The World Anvil Publishing announced a Dark Souls inspired RPG called Bitter Chalice.
- Osprey Publishing and Alan Bahr, this year, will release the cyberpunk(ish) Crescendo of Violence.
- There’s more! Osprey has also teamed up with Nathan Russell for the noir Hard City.
- Geek Native reviewed Rookie Jet’s anime horror Red Giant RPG.
- Take a look inside Crow Land Publishing’s folk horror Wickerpunk RPG.
- There’s been a burst of TSR scanned re-releases including;
- Straying between tabletop RPG and computer RPG, there’s The Wagadu Chronicles 5e game which is now looking for (computer) game testers.
- Also straying between worlds, Chaosium has suspended their NFT program.
- Since we’ve strayed, let’s also note that Kickstarter says “No, not now” to NFTs.
- Straying in a different direction, the RPGs of Pinnacle will now get Outland books from a new imprint called Outrider Publications.
- Geek Native talked to Hero Forge about the beta test and 2022 plans for Two Heroes.
- Posthuman confirms new titles for Eclipse Phase and updates the Condensed Player’s Guide.
- The silver-badged Apotheosis RPG gets a free to download demo.
- Ahead of a Kickstarter, there’s also the free to download preview of Grizelda’s Guide to Ghost Hunting
- Triple Ace’s Savage Worlds Hellfrost setting has two returning Bundle of Holding deals.
- The license has moved on, and so this Bundle of Holding deal may be the last chance to snap a bargain on EN Publishing’s Worlds of 2000 AD.
Spotlight Shawn Merwin
RPG news from around the web
- Pelgrane Press shared some of the weird art to the Delta Green The Borellus Connection.
- It’s Itch.io Creator Day, so they take no cut and the creator gets it all.
- Time’s running out but you can still enter Steamforged Games’ Dark Souls RPG giveaway.
- Free League Publishing announced the official organised play program League of Free Agents.
- The sponsors and dates for Free RPG Day 2022 are out.
- Aaron at the Roleplayers Chronicle shares Modiphius’s Continued Support for at Home 3D Printing with New Fallout: Wasteland Warfare “Dry Rock Gulch” Set
- Polygon’s Charlie Hall notes Critical Role’s new D&D campaign book features a rival group of antagonistic adventurers.
- There’s a D&D themed musical on the way as Christian Hoffer shares the news of Here There Be Dragons – A New Musical Quest.
RPG reviews and interviews from around the web
- At The Gaming Gang, Ronald Gardener wonders Jaws meets Myst? The Isle of the Plangent Mage Adventure Reviewed and also reviewed Beyond the Miasma: Eldritch Century – Almanac.
- Tech Raptor shares a Power Rangers: The Roleplaying Game Review.
- Jared Rascher reviews the DMsGuild’s Bloodied & Bruised: Monster Manual.
- Strange Assembly reviews Starfinder’s Galactic Magic.
- Always busy, Reviews from R’lyeh writes up the 13th Age’s Book of Demons.
RPG new releases
- Deeply Dapper Games has a solo adventure book for their 3DIE6 RPG, but only in softcover. Why? The clue is in the name… Delve Your Own Dungeon: The Egg Hunt and The Lost City Flip Book.
- Out now, for the greater good, is Accessible Gaming Quarterly Issue 7, January 2022.
- TheChem has a free to download but ashcan version of the Lancer RPG Mechs in Motion.
- EN Publishing hit release on their Advanced 5E guide Level Up: Adventures in ZEITGEIST.
- New Dimension Games has put the core rules, Book of Journeys and Book of Quests, together in a single Fantasia Deluxe Edition.
- Welcome to DarK SkY with Fel-Dark Entertainment’s HD1-HabiteD Core Rule Book.
- Red Star Gaming has an RPG for less than $5, and it’s the Standoff Roleplaying System Core Rulebook.
- Weird Blue Yonder invites you to name your own price for the RPG Hearth & Hillside Home.
RPG bundle deals
- Save £147.61 (77%) in Rarr! I’m a Monster Publishing’s 10 Years of Rarr! bundle.
- Save $13.06 (30%) on Earl of Fife Games’ Cepheus Publishers bundle.
- Save $4.95 (38%) on the DMsGuild’s Strixhaven Double Deal! bundle.
RPG ideas, tips and discoveries
- Confirmed real. D&D’s official D20 espresso set.
- Ben and the Genre Police immerse themselves with Immersion RPG techniques.
- Role Gate’s Ryan Pergent took us through How you can use procedural generation to reduce your DM workload.
- Coleman Gailloreto suggested Playing Card Tabletop RPGs For Card Game Fans & Tarot Readers.
- Helpful? Hmm, Johnn Four wrote up d10 Things You Can Do With a Dead Character.
You can see those Kickstarters and other crowdfunding campaigns that caught Geek Native’s attention over at Kickstarter watch. Here are some industry projects worth a mention;
- Goodman Games is well clear of $100,000 for the 100th Dungeon Crawl Classics 100: Music of the Spheres is Chaos
- DoraTaco has funded these glowing Gashadokuro: The Skeleton Spectre Dice.
- Savage Cree Hess wants to mix teen angst with magic. What could go wrong at the Arcane High: Magic Infused ’80s TTRPG?
- Stressed_Raccoon can stop worrying so much as they’ve funded Segone : show them your world (stl and pdf fantasy map).
- Terran Empire Publishing offers a collection of 30 monsters suitable for 5e games in the Tome of Adversaries Vol. One.
- John Clark has hit the target for an adventure suitable for 6th to 9th level characters in The Fortress of Shadow – for DnD 5E RPG – only $4.
- Infinite Odyssey Games’ first Kickstarter has ambitious goals and a multiverse under siege in Other Earths – A d6 Science Fantasy TTRPG.
- New creatures, locations, encounters, treasures and more in The Oracle RPG Magazine – Issue 20.
- Pinnacle Entertainment Group are approaching their 30th Kickstarter, and this one has new Weird West material in Hell on the High Plains: A Deadlands Booster Campaign
- Tane Dutter wants to bring you into a world infested by supernatural hunters. It’s a Nightmare.
- Kathleen R has hit goals for an original RPG that reimagines The Elven Renaissance.
- A monthly 5e print, PDF and Foundry publication has made ambitious targets. We’re getting the Crucible Magazine.
- Brian Saliba has a fantasy adventure based on the art by Arthur Rackham in a updgraded Rackham Vale: Paintbox Edition.
- Michael Elliott has the exciting concept of a reverse-dungeon crawl about taking back your homely Dungeon Local 001.
- Realmwarp Media is funding a collection of 5e-compatible spellcasters in a Magicians Menagerie.
- Majestic Goose Network want to visit Cincinnati in October and run GooseCon 2022.
- Bubba Dawg has easy funded this very pretty and modular Stackii: Game Storage & In Game Organizer.
- Casper Gad has 3d STLs inspired by the Black Void RPG. Survival is only the beginning…
- Diego Pisa Artworks will have you unleash the magic of imaginary friends and nightmares. It’s the subclass of the Dreamkind.
- Andrew D Devenney has hit targets for a system-neutral RPG zine about the Beasts of the Outer Swells.
- Nathaly Aupin will serve up a huge collection of D&D 125+ Digital fantasy maps for tabletop games.
- Caroline Dewison is funding these remarkable Dragon Backs- Pewter Game Tokens for Table Top Gaming.
- Nerdura Games offers up five ready-to-use One-shot Dungeons for 5E – 1€.
- Dominic M. has hit the target with SideQuests 6: More Easy Adventures for 5E Dungeons & Dragons.
- Steven Pankotai’s baddies have a lot on offer with these MyThicc Encounters: Smutty 5e Villains.
- Cody Barr has a Project We Love with a solo RPG inspired by Dune. It’s time to GLIDE.
- Sarah Gates is taking part in Zine Month with a GMless RPG based on Mobile Frame 0: Firebrands. The game? It’s Ocean Tides, the Physical Edition for #ZiMo.
- Scott Cocking has relaunched their project because, aptly enough, why fail when you can AutoCrit D20?
- Ziggurat 3D Studio has a set of STL files for RPG and wargame terrain in the same of The tower of Androklès.
- Easy Roller Dice Company has funded some Cracked Stone Dice Collection with Giant 40mm D20s.
- Jean Francois Senay’s 12th Kickstarter is for more than 40 Customizable Fantasy World and Region Maps for Tabletop RPGs.
- Studio Hex wonders if you’re been interested in sin, second chances and Hellborn.
If there’s a source or news you think is worth monitoring, please get in touch or leave a comment below.