Gosh, it’s been a busy news week in the world of RPGs and with plenty of controversies.
Hopefully, Geek Native has walked the path correctly, covering the stories without inflaming them.
It’s also the start of the month. That means site patron’s can vote in the RPG Publisher Spotlight. That’s a project we work on together to help highlight game creators who might not find it easy to get media coverage.
Geek Native now has a permanent RPG Publisher Spotlight page where you can easily access previous winners like Dario Corallo.
They’ve been part of the controversies this week, and it’s worth noting that 2020 ENnies voting are now open.
Right, with an introduction like that we better waste no time and get on with the RPG news.
A few days remaining: Win Cyberpunk Battle Mat Books
RPG news from Geek Native
- Gail Gygax is selling Gary Gygax and D&D legacy carton cels against Luke Gygax’s wishes.
- There’s a free to download tabletop RPG based on the computer strategy game Desperados.
- Onyx Path Publishing suspends a member of staff and pulls some Vampire books.
- Daniel Kwan, an author of the Unbreakable adventures and Asians Represent podcast wants Oriental Adventures pulled from sale.
- Rebellion, a large European media group who own Judge Dredd and Sniper Elite, get into tabletop RPG production.
- Board Game Geek bought Tabletop.Events; a company that helps run many RPG conventions.
- Cubicle 7 shared what’s next for Wrath & Glory.
- Virtual tabletop Astral adds freehand drawing and lets you fiddle with the snap grid.
- Geek Native took a quick look at the cyberpunk-vampire game Vampunks.
- Kobold Press is giving away copies of the gross Sanctuary of Belches.
- Justin Achilli returns to the World of Darkness.
- Roll20 start an actual play stream of Burn Bryte ahead of the RPGs release.
- Fanatical has a large Warhammer ebooks bundle.
- In a large discount, Monte Cook Games’ Invisible Sun is in the Bundle of Holding.
- The 2020 ENnies were announced.
- After the ENnies announcement indie publisher and nominee Massif Press said they would refuse to accept any awards, they eventually withdrew.
- Following that, the author of the controversial Lamentations of the Flame Princess adventure that sparked the row, Kiel Chenier, disowned the book.
- Curse of Hearts, a D&D adventure featuring gay vampires was pulled from the DMs Guild after the author refused to censor it.
- Later, the DMs Guild offered to relist the book and begin conversations with Wizards of the Coast on content policies.
RPG news from around the web
- Voting for the 2020 ENnies is now open.
- R Talsorian Games release the monster book A Witcher’s Journal.
- Russ Morrissey transcribes WotC’s Jeremy Crawford Talks D&D Alignment Changes.
- Over at EN World, Egg Embry talks about Beowulf with Jon Hodgson.
- Scholastic Books announced Rhianna Pratchett as the next guest author for Fighting Fantasy’s Crystal of Storms.
- Justin Alexander reviews Ultraviolet Grasslands.
- At Gnome Stew, Jared Rascher reviews iHunt.
- At High Level Games, Egg Embry interviews Mitchell Wallace from Helmgast about Kult: Divinity Lost’s Horror Guide & Scenario Collection.
- Kim Frandsen of d20 radio reviews Chaosium’s Malleus Monstrorum.
- Then again on d20 radio, Egg Embry spoke to Jerry D. Grayson about Terra Oblivion.
- Polygon reveals 2020’s best tabletop RPGs (so fr), as chosen by fans.
- Roc Humet suggests 5 Black TTRPG Influencers You Should Follow.
- Kobold Press give us details on the monster The Bloodstone Gargoyle of Bratislor Pass.
- Alligator Alley Entertainment sent EN World some previews of their D&D 5e-powered Esper Genesis RPG.
RPG ideas, tips and discoveries
- The RPG Publisher Spotlight shines on Dario Corallo.
- We’ve a gallery of sometimes disturbing art from Kult: Divinity Lost.
- There’s also this gallery of 29 game hook posters.
- It’s not great for game balance, but there are 66-pages of detail in this D&D Naruto mashup.
- Charles Dunwoody’s Basic World Building gets to the Tower-Faced Demon Castle.
- Wisdom teeth and… It’s Dungeons & Dentists.
- Loot Tavern released this infographic of ice cream monsters.
- Nerdarchy’s Steven Partridge offers up a new playable race for D&D with the crafty Vulpine.
- Over at World Anvil, Janet Forbes suggests 5 Tips to Make a Dark Campaign Setting.
- Lastly, at Master the Dungeon, Kim has Unique Enemies for Your Low Level Encounter.
- Onyx Path’s impressive Redbubble store grows some more with these Dystopia Rising designs.
You can see those Kickstarters and other crowdfunding campaigns that caught Geek Native’s attention over at Kickstarter watch. Here are some industry projects worth a mention;
- Next-Level Gaming are on Kickstarter to bring a sword & sorcery 5e setting to life with Dragon Lords of Khashan.
- Douglas Sun has an adventure location for D&D 5e and Pathfinder 1e and 2e with Exiles of Newmarket.
- Tiny Concept have smashed their campaign goal for The Dark Village, a horrific narrative game published in several booklets.
- Good Ideas… are looking to fun a book of vampire NPCs called A Feast of Blood.
- Chamomile Has A Project’s tabletop RPG project is one in which you are the Big Bad Evil Guy. It’s the Dark Lord.
- Cryptix are offering tabletop RPG software called Critical Zero.
- No More Dice are looking to add some shakers to your tabletop gadget collection with pocket-sized randomization devices.
- Steve Jackson Games are on Kickstarter with the GURPS 2020 PDF Challenge.
- Purple Aether Games follow up with the release of Alpha Duo Roleplaying: Basic Rules with a modification for fantasy. Not surprisingly, it’s called Alpha Duo Fantasy Roleplaying.
- Tim P is crowdfunding the next in The Fall of Mith line with Aeteum.
- 5 titans, 6 realms and 7 sins to make sourcebooks for any system. Luudos Studio tempt us with Sinful RPG.
- Spencer Campbell has a tabletop RPG of monster hunting it a strange city. It’s Slayers.
- Travis D. Hill is crowdfunding a zine of mostly-solo RPGs with Our Innermost Thoughts.
- FASA have a success on their hands with a Kickstarter for Earthdawn 4th Edition – Empty Thrones.
- William Lynn is crowdfunding for a short horror sci-fi adventure called Not Even The Bones.
- Joonas Leppanen is hoping to fund a 20-year long project with 5A System Enhanced Edition.
- The Rusty Bison has met the campaign goal for their Dungeons and Dragons Accessories Pack.
- £100,000 for dice? Possible. London’s Paintingswow Wild earth dice collection is booming.
If there’s a source or news you think is worth monitoring, please get in touch or leave a comment below.