Did we miss out on the RPG Publisher Spotlight last month? Nope, we squeaked it in the final week with this interview with Steve Bean of Steve Bean Games. It’s a chance to find out about the forthcoming Wizard Realms RPG.
There’s also a word first on the site! Geek Native gets to show you the reveal of a brand new gaming accessory called bittray. What’s a bittray? It’s a fold-up tray for keeping your meeples, dice, tokens and cards safe and handy while you’re gaming.
It’s been another weird week. I never once imagined Geek Native would have a range of face masks. Yep, if you want to walk around with Famous Last Words from roleplaying games on your face, you can!
The community is suffering, but there are rays of hope all around. I spoke to Stephen Hunt who, left without a job thanks to COVID-19, has successfully funded Dungeon Master’s Adventure Pack on Kickstarter to launch a new digital magazine. There’s still time to check out the project and show your support with a backing pledge.
Okay, that’s the intro and so here comes the TTRPG news!
RPG news from Geek Native
- The Dungeons & Dragons movie has been delayed.
- The huge UK Games Expo has been cancelled.
- UKGE’s cancellation has hit some publishers hard, and Geek Native spoke to All Rolled Up about their bittray plans.
- Registration for PaizoCon Online opens today.
- The Highwayman is a free to download Legend of the Five Rings RPG adventure.
- Geek Native reviewed the RPG What We Were.
- Chaosium is distributing the Ice Age roleplaying game Würm
- Arion Games launched an RPG based on Stephen Hunt’s series Crown & Dragon.
- Free League Publishing has announced a starter set for Alien RPG and the Destroyer of Worlds.
- Astral Tabletop have extended their kind free accounts offer until the end of May.
- Goodman Games will republish the iconic The Temple of Elemental Evil.
- Pelgrane Press has a Cthulhu Confidential in The Bundle of Holding.
- The Design Mechanism has now published an RPG based on Jack Vance’s Lyonesse series.
- Geek Native interviewed Stephen Hunt about the digital fantasy RPG magazine Dungeon Master’s Adventure Pack.
- Play it Forward will run from the 4th of May to the 17th of May and give indie publishers 100% of the money made from their sales.
- On the 8th of May Nish Kumar, Sue Perkins, Ed Gamble and Sara Pascoe will stream a game of D&D for Comic Relief.
RPG news from around the web
- Gen Con (not yet cancelled) has delayed registration.
- Who’s the boss of D&D these days? It’s Ray Winninger.
- WotC’s Chris Perkins says D&D will do better on disability representation in D&D.
- There was a bit dust-up on Twitter about whether D&D’s portrayal of orcs is racist.
- In better news, WotC is also giving free content to educators and librarians.
- Paizo showcased new Q Workshop’s Extinction Curse and Attack of the Swarm dice.
- Cubicle 7 has shared a line-up of future Warhammer FRPG releases, an update on Warhammer 40K and Soulbound’s character sheet.
- Sage Advice points out Elminster’s Candlekeep Companion.
- Frostgrave has expanded with the Thaw of the Lich Lord.
- Jeff McAleer of The Gaming Gang reminds us that the free D&D products are still coming and you can get Pool of Radiance Resurgent for free.
- Aaron T. Huss reviewed Black Void Games – Dark Dealings in the Shaded Souq (Black Void).
RPG ideas, tips and discoveries
- At Nerdarchy Steven Partridge offers Help! My RPG Group is Falling Apart! Conflict at the Table.
- Merric’s Musing offers up I Track the Monster to its Lair!.
- An article on world-building, J.T. Evans shares thoughts on Interesting Fauna.
- Purple Lizardman suggests 6 Items to Improve Your D&D Game.
- Writing on RoleplayingTips.com, Mike Bourke shares some wisdom on Getting Player Feedback.
- Peter Rudin-Burgess suggests 5 Best Systems For World Builders.
- Cleve Jones asks Should Modern Hit Point Mechanics Reflect Modern Play Styles?
- Jae at Master the Dungeon offers How to Brew Potions for DND.
- Rexicon Jesse shares Wondrous Mechanisms of the Impossible Variety | An All Dice Table.
You can see those Kickstarters and other crowdfunding campaigns that caught Geek Native’s attention over at Kickstarter watch. Here are some industry projects worth a mention;
- Artist and gamer Janaka Stuckly has collected thousands for a new kind of RPG compendium. The project is called Ekphrastic Beasts.
- Jaye Sonia of Storm Bunny Studios is kickstarting a dark modern RPG called The Bloodlines & Black Magic Roleplaying Game.
- John Yackel is collecting funds for The Fading Embers Setting Primer.
- Ashcan Comics has a new way to read with a Viking-inspired game called Vala the Beast Heart.
- Tim Krause has new monsters, magic and D&D 5e challenges in The Mescalaro Prophecy Trilogy.
- Tim Gonzalez introduces new ancestry options for 5e in a project called Ancestry Awakened.
- Adam O’Brien is working on over 200 pages of magical items in the Menagerie of Magic.
- 23rd Century Productions is offering up a book of one-shot adventures and fiction of the Battlelords of the 23rd Century RPG. It’s Charlie Foxtrot.
If there’s a source or news you think is worth monitoring, please get in touch or leave a comment below.