Welcome to Geek Native’s Routinely Itemised. In this column, we quickly summarise news and discoveries from the RPG industry. If it hit the radar this week, then it has a chance of making this bullet-point collection of headlines.
First, though, let’s call out Fat Goblin Games. Why? They’re the publisher of the month, as voted for by our Patreon backers, and have published more than 1340 products! Many of these offerings have been stock art for other indie publishers and, increasingly, virtual tabletop GMs to use.
Routinely Itemised concludes with a list of crowdfunding projects that might be worthy of your attention. Did you know that the site also has a handy tag for tracking those Kickstarters and other projects that get more of a deep dive? Pop over to Kickstarter Watch and you’ll have easy access to projects to consider.
A crowdfunded project worth extra special consideration is the cancer-fighting Harper’s Tale. It’s worth checking out B James Haeck’s DnD Beyond introduction to it.
With the introduction done, let’s press on with looking at the news.
RPG news from Geek Native
- Guest reviewer and Shadowrun fan, John Tuckey takes a look at Shadowrun 6e and does not like what he sees.
- Evil Hat hits pause on Kickstarter over ethical concerns and Union busting.
- You can pre-order Robotech: The Macross Saga RPG this week and get access to special variant covers.
- Helmgast AB (the publishers of Kult) announced a Tintin-style The Troublemakers RPG.
- Metal Weave Games are giving away character generation rules and 50-pages of Hyper Light Drifter RPG in a free playtest.
- Dream Realm Storytellers are hoping to bring great evil to D&D and have produced a free demo booklet for Corpus Malicious.
- What does rolling 216,000 d6 feel like? Trivium Studios found out the wrong way.
- Catalyst Game Labs have promoted staff into more senior BattleTech and Leviathans roles.
- R Talsorian Games and DriveThruRPG bring back two Cyberpunk 2020 classics.
- Roll20 released screens of their version of Baldur’s Gate: Descent into Avernus.
- Eberron: Rising from the Last War gets a new cover as Wizards of the Coast change their mind.
RPG news from around the web
- Magpie Games will be releasing Root: The Tabletop Roleplaying Game through distributors next year, reports Tim Smith of ICv2
- Kobold Press expand Midgard with thoughts on ‘Appendix M‘.
- Cubicle 7 is teasing us again with Soulbound content. This time it’s a Kurnoth Hunter.
- Chaosium introduce the free Call of Cthulhu adventure The Lightless Beacon for #WeAreAllUs to remember their founder Greg Stafford.
- Dungeon Crawl Classics Horror Line is brought to life by Goodman Games, reports William Niebling at ICv2.
- Bell of Souls has a look at Keith Baker’s other Eberron project, ‘Project Raptor‘.
RPG ideas, tips and discoveries
- Could there be a better way to manage arrow inventory in tabletop RPGS?
- Fancy royalty-free art for your modern RPG? What about a photograph to represent your character? This AI has created 100,000 photographs of imaginary people and they’re free to use.
- Geek Native found out which superhero is most likely to be a tabletop roleplayer.
- Scriv the Bard has thoughts on Managing time in your games is given due time by Tomas Gimenez Rioja at Tribality.
- I’ve changed my mind about milestone leveling, says Eldadres at Dungeon Solvers.
As is always the case, you can whiz through Geek Native’s write-ups of hand-picked crowdfunding campaigns in Kickstarter Watch.
- Terrorform: Surviving the Dark is a sci-fi RPG from Argonauts Incorporated.
- Sandy Pug Games are back on Kickstarter with Disposable Heroes.
- Under Hollow Hils by Meguey and Vincent Baker is a RPG about dangerous secrets and a travelling circus.
- Scouts of the Wyrdwood Forest relaunch on Kickstarter.
- Tim Krause is crowdfunding the 5e adventure The Mescalaro Prophecy.
- The Complete Illustrated Book of Divination is an illustrated spellbook of Divination spells for D&D.
- A Kickstarter funded expansion for the Roan RPG system – Roan – World at War.
What are your news highlights from the RPGscape this week?