In this RPG news roundup, we summarise the week that’s just gone with articles from Geek Native and around the web.
Stealing Routinely Itemised’s thunder, let me begin by saying that one of the big stories of the week is that the Dragonlance creators are suing Wizards of the Coast. It’s a story that kicked off lots of discussions, but we have to be careful with it. Why? We only have one side of the argument so far, and that’s in a carefully written legal form that’s designed to help win the authors millions of Dollars.
In the interest of balance, if the Dragonlance vs Dragonlance story is of interest then check out On Dragonlance Denied.
Not all the news is that heavy. We’ve plenty of (virtual) conventions, and with Halloween approaching, this means freebies and new game announcements.
Ready for the news summary? We’re keeping RPG reviews and interviews in a section of their own, as it seemed to work last time.
Win Action Pups!
RPG news from Geek Native
- Nightfall Games have an official Terminator RPG coming.
- Cubicle 7 announced Soulbound’s Fateful Night and Warhammer’s Hell Rides to Hallt.
- Loke Battle maps announced this Battle Board.
- Free League Publishing announced Vaesen: A Wicked Secret and MORK BORG Cult: Feretory.
- Chaosium released The Adventure of the Great Hunt a free to download preview of the Ultimate Edition of King Arthur Pendragon.
- Handiwork Games released Nicely, Done a free to download preview of a|state 2 and it will come to print later.
- Imaginarium Games released a free to download taster of The Secret Files of Section D.
- The Wildsea gets a reveal trailer.
- GAMA is proposing a significant restructure of itself.
- Critical Role’s Way of the Cobalt Soul and Oath of the Open Sea are added to D&D Beyond.
- There’s a ton of Shadow of the Demon Lord goodies in The Bundle of Holding.
- Many discounts including one $225 bundle for $10 at DriveThruRPG’s Halloween sale.
- Which character class makes for the best arch-villain? Crown of the Oathbreaker reveals survey results.
- Gamers rally to raise vet bills for Fat Goblin Games’ Gideon the pig.
- Dragonlance authors bring a lawsuit against Wizards of the Coast.
RPG news from around the web
- Osprey revealed some artwork from Stargrave.
- R. Talsorian Games gave us a good look at Cyberpunk RED’s Night City.
- Designer MT Black launched a website.
- Clockpunk Studios redesigned the Monte Cook Games web store.
- Cubicle 7 let us see inside the Soulbound Starter Set.
- Chaosium shared videos of the Publishing and Writing Panels from the Miskatonic Repository Con.
- The Wildsea showcased The Moss-Cloaked Pangoska.
- To celebrate The Adventure System’s first anniversary, Idyll Creations has an 80% off sale at DTRPG.
- Paizo gave us more information about Beadle and Grimm’s Complete Character Chronicle.
- The Roll20Con charity drive hit the first milestone in less than 30 minutes.
RPG reviews and interviews from around the web
- At EN World, Egg Embry interviewed Philip Reed and Ed Bourelle about their third-party Mork Borg zine.
- Meanwhile, Charles Dunwoody interviewed Chaosium’s Lynne Hardy about the upcoming Rivers of London RPG.
- At d20Radio, Egg talked to Dustin DePenning of Will Power Games about Death Divers.
- Arion Games interviewed Rhianna Pratchett about Crystal of Storms.
- Angel’s Citadel reviewed Bruce Cordell’s Gods of the Fall.
- Geek Tyrant’s Tommy Williams reviewed the rerelease of Curse of Strahd.
- SyFy Wire had an exclusive review of Heroes’ Feast: The Official D&D Cookbook.
- CBR’s James Hanna gave us Cortex Prime: Everything You Need to Know About the New RPG System.
- Cannibal Halfling also gave us a Cortex Prime Review.
- The Hashtag Show reviewed The World of Critical Role.
- J.T. Dimino reviewed The World’s Greatest Screen.
- Jeff McAleer reviewed Pathfinder 2E Advanced Players Guide.
RPG new releases
- Following on from a successful Kickstarter, Black Cats Gaming released The Spy Game
- Name your own price for CRX’s game of high school Divination; Portents.
- Realmwarp Media released the second quickstart for the Awakening Dream RPG with Pretender’s Secret
- Onyx Path Publishing’s Exalted Lunars: Fangs at the Gate Map is out.
- SwammeyJoe released Round Table – A Tabletop RPG of Heroic Chivalry.
- Dream Realm Storytellers let loose evil with Corpus Malicious for 5e.
- Gamenomicon released the $0.99 and 1-page One White Eye RPG.
- Modiphius shared a free to download Elder Scrolls Call to Arms scenario called Paths to Glory.
RPG ideas, tips and discoveries
- GamePLA has devised a system in which you can store your gaming dice in weapons.
- While 3D Props by Kohula has this dwarven hammer to store dice and minis in.
- Ben and the genre police talk about killing characters.
- Over 100 paper minis to download.
- Kobold Press shared tables for an instant town.
- CBR’s Kai M dug into Dungeons & Dragons: Why the Tabletop Game Had to Drop the Cthulhu Mythos.
- Writing for Hope College’s Student Newspaper, Katy Smith addressed Systems of Oppression in Dungeons & Dragons.
- Bruce Boville argues Railroading Might be Just What Your D&D Campaign Needs.
- Boing Boing’s Gareth Branwyn paired sci-fi novels with appropriate RPGs.
- Screen Rant’s Christoph Langum shared Dungeons & Dragons Lycanthropes: Everything You Need to Know.
You can see those Kickstarters and other crowdfunding campaigns that caught Geek Native’s attention over at Kickstarter watch. Here are some industry projects worth a mention;
- EN Publishing is back again with another short Kickstarter, and this time it’s a Halloween horror for 5e called We Ain’t Afraid Of No Ghost.
- Brooke Ross is an artist and D&D fan and they’re looking to crowdfund these Campaign Notebooks.
- Travis Gibson has a campaign setting for D&D (3, 4 and 5!) in which adventurers look for a divine treasure and shape the future of the world in Truaesa.
- Inkwell Ideas have cards based on Kobold Press’ Tome of Beasts II. It’s the Deck of Beasts II.
- Inspired by Lovecraft and Bloch, Marco Mazzei hopes to take you Beyond the Woods.
- 9th Level Games has scored a “Projects We Love” with The Excellents RPG & Princess Accessories.
- Jordan and Murder Publishing have funded a GM-optional RPG called Perilous.
- The Grinning Frog has an adventure for new DMs called The Missing Child.
- Draco Studios has 5e RPG adventures and encounters against Great Wyrms and new STL files to print them out. It’s Dragonbond: Great Wyrms of Drakha.
- Richard Kelly has an OSR-styled dungeon-crawler in which you are foxes raiding chicken farms in Mendicant Spell Vixens.
- Wild Magic Life has refined the DM screen with Indispensable DM Reference System.
- Marcio Tridello has a sytem to manage relationships between PCs and NPCs. It’s called RS2.
- Grand Times Games has a narrative RPG which asks whether you can Survive Bonnie & Clyde.
If there’s a source or news you think is worth monitoring, please get in touch or leave a comment below.