It’s Friday the 13th. Those bad luck omens might stretch back as far as the Last Supper, which was attended by 13 people. Except, that was on Maundy Thursday, the day before the crucifixion on Good Friday.
Alternatively, the Knights Templar might be the reason Friday the 13th is considered unlucky. It was on a Friday the 13th in 1307 that King Philip IV of France arrested hundreds of the Knights. It didn’t end well for them.
As it happens, paraskevidekatriaphobia isn’t universal. A good friend of mine, who lives in Spain, assures me that real date to watch out for is an evil Tuesday the 13th!
In other, not quite tabletop gaming news but still good enough to mention in the intro; Wizards of the Coast have announced D&D: Dark Alliance. After 31 years, Drizzt will headline a computer game.
The RPG Publisher Spotlight this month has landed on Mage Hand Press, so go check them out now or watch Geek Native for an article all about them.
Now, on with the news!
RPG news from Geek Native
- Werewolf: The Apocalypse 5e is coming, and the license has been awarded to Hunters Entertainment.
- Osprey Publishing, which is owned by giant Bloomsbury (Harry Potter, Throne of Glass) got into RPG publishing this week.
- DriveThruRPG ended up banning a publisher staff were doxxed.
- There are two different 13th Age deals on the Bundle of Holding.
- There’s also a giant Pathfinder 1e deal on at Humble Bundle.
- WizKids revealed more pre-painted D&D miniatures for a future pack of Icons of the Realms.
- Elder Brain released Year of Rogue Dragons so you can play D&D as an evil dragon.
- Paizo announced that Starfinder was coming to Alexa. You can roleplay with voice actors, after all!
- The Expanse RPG got its first official set of adventures.
- Evil Hat will publish Andrew Gillis’ magical girl RPG Girl by Moonlight.
RPG news from around the web
- EN World is collecting nominations for your favourite RPG podcasts of 2019.
- Legends of Avallen, a tabletop RPG inspired by Celtic mythology and Roman-occupied Britain was announced.
- Flames Rising covered the news that Exalted Essence, a new core rulebook for Exalted Third Edition, has been announced.
- Paizo Publishing showed off their December release schedule.
RPG ideas, tips and discoveries
- The Genre Police are about to publish their 50th article. In issue 49, Ben talks about how to use different Genre Police insights to build a Roman campaign.
- Check out these D&D inspired tarot card designs by Mateus Pegoraro.
- 2-Minute Table Top is a great site for free or low-cost quality battle maps.
- Need to generate a quick and random fantasy town or city?
- Paige Leitman wrote a really helpful guide on How to Write Your First DM’s Guild Project.
- Stephen Chenault and Troll Lord Games’ The Starship Warden is an adventure for the StarSiege RPG (which comes free with the Kickstarter). It’s smashing all targets.
- Emil Thorngren Isben launches their first Kickstarter to fund Deal with the Dead; The Zombie RPG.
- Polyhydra Dice are Kickstarting the very shiny Solid Brass Rainbow Serpentine Dice.
- Terran Empire Publishing has nearly crossed the finishing line for Tome of Mercenaries for 5e.
- Forsaken Games is expanding the forest with Forsaken Forest: Spirit Uprising.
- Tales For Gamers Publishing has the duel language (Italian and English) Medieval, Tales from Europe running on Kickstarter.
- Jacob Hancock’s Dungeon Down Time is a collection of one-shot scenarios.
- James Shield is a freelance artist looking to fund RPG Monsters: A to Z.
- Bard College Games is collecting for the 5e adventure Baron of Blackwatch.
Gamerati News Update
Too busy to read? In just over 6 minutes Gamerati’s Marcelo Ferrari will chat to you about Rebellion Unplugged’s Sniper Elite board game, Gloomhaven and Cephalofair Games’ Jaws of the Lion.
What are your news highlights from the RPGscape this week?