We’re nearly one-quarter of the way through 2021. Gulp! Let’s mark the occasion with some RPG news.
First up, the quirky British artist Professor Elemental whom you may know from many other games and his fighting trousers, has his own RPG out this week. You can win a copy, and with minimal effort too!
Next, it’s the usual month-end reminder that Geek Native Patrons can vote in the RPG Publisher Spotlight. The five publisher candidates for next month are;
At the time of writing the fate of The Indie RPG Pipeline is unknown. The site tracks the launch of indie RPGs on Itch, DriveThruRPG and Kickstarter. The Patreon is up, but there’s been no comment, the blog seems to have gone, and the domain name is not resolving. It might be a site on the move; DNS takes a while to update at times.
Right now, here’s the rest of the RPG news!
RPG news from Geek Native
- Free RPG Day was confirmed for 2021.
- Ex-Blizzard worldbuilder and VP, Chris Metzen’s Warchief Gaming confirmed their first product will be the 5e Auroborus: Coils of the Serpent.
- Steve Jackson Games may not release any new product ranges this year but support The Fantasy Trip and GURPS instead.
- Modiphius released a free to download Star Trek Adventures: Klingon Quickstart.
- Modiphius also confirmed the new Fallout 2d20 will have PC options for super mutants and Mr Handy.
- Free League Publishing announced Alberator: The Haunted Waste.
- Roll20 expanded its smartphone app testing to all Pro Users.
- NeverEnding, the character portrait generator, will add prosthetics options.
- Derek Kolstad, who’s writing the D&D TV series, compares it to First Blood.
- Geek Native reviewed the pre-Kickstarter edition of Legendary Adventures: Epic 5e.
- Geek Native looked into the post-Brexit RPG Shadow of Mogg.
- The Bundle of Holding has a deal on Astonishing Swordmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea.
- Until April 1st, Hero Kids RPG is free to download.
RPG Publisher Spotlight: Dyskami Publishing Company
RPG news from around the web
- Chaosium’s Michael O’Brien shared a RuneQuest Starter Set: Cover Art reveal and what’s inside the Box.
- First, Dicebreaker wrote up An author is questioning Wizards of the Coast’s “problematic” changes to his adventure in the newest D&D 5E sourcebook and then BolS covered Candlekeep Author Requests Name Be Pulled After “Problematic” Changes to Adventure.
- Matt Forbeck notes that As of this year, Wizards of the Coast has now owned D&D longer than TSR did.
- Paizo rightly posted Celebrating Women in our Community.
- Tribality shared an Arcadia Issue 3 Breakdown.
- Dicebreaker’s Chase Carter wrote up Mythopoetic RPG Agon brings all its resources online in a new Roll20 compendium.
- OnTableTop covered the New Rangers of Shadow Deep Rulebook & Creature Deck.
RPG reviews and interviews from around the web
- Aaron T. Huss shared Review: Open Ended Games – Against the Darkmaster.
- Thilo Graf over at Enzeitgeist reviewed Mothership Player’s Survival Guide, Star Log.Deluxe: Aquatic Species Reforged and Solomani Worlds – Vehicles from the Rim, and Shadows over Vathak: Feats of Devotion and Deliverance.
- Egg Embry steered The Darkest House: An Interview with Charles M. Ryan (Monte Cook Games).
- Milton Griepp shared ICv2 Interview: Pegasus Spiele U.S. Studio Editor Tim Huckelbery.
RPG new releases
- Hero Games released the Wild West RPG Western Hero: Rough and Ready Roleplaying
- Agonizing Crimson released the free to download Legend of the Five Rings/original game Legends of the Emerald Republic (Ashcan Edition).
- Skirmisher Publishing offers up 62 sci-fi Feats for d20 with Interplanetary Feats.
- Adrian Lumm published the supernatural horror RPG Divination.
- Sam G published a sci-fi set in a rapidly changing world filled with forgotten history called Regeneration.
- Luke Miller published a solo RPG in which you explore worlds. It’s Journey.
- Silver Games expanded the Ponyfinder RPG with Tribes of Everglow Second Edition.
- Promethium Books released the sci-fi RPG compatible with 5e called Advent Horizon.
- Mystic Ages Publishing released a post-apocalyptic RPG from Nathan J. Hill in the shape of Waterhack.
RPG ideas, tips and discoveries
- Ben and the Genre Police talk about treating your players like a community in The Resource That Talks.
- Author Derick William Dalton shared How Physician Assistant School Helped Me Craft an RPG: Sparking creativity for game players and designers.
- Modiphius shared some Achtung! Cthulhu 2d20 stats for the Nachtwolfe Trooper.
- Lewis Pulsipher wrote up Worlds of Design: Death from Above.
- The Alexandrian noted The Death Wish of the Common NPC.
- The Angry GM penned On Being a (Game) Master Storyteller.
You can see those Kickstarters and other crowdfunding campaigns that caught Geek Native’s attention over at Kickstarter watch. Here are some industry projects worth a mention;
- Elderwood Academy are creating tiny dice boxes to hold tiny dice. They’re Keychain Spellbooks.
- Jim Pinto of Postworldgames has a RPG about soldiers returning from home called Protocol Squared: Home.
- XploringMap is crowdfunding a collection of maps, sketches and notes in A5 booklet format with Cartographer’s Work – Explore & Create.
- Bill Hall is raising money for a spooky 5e adventure with The Living Carnival 5E RPG + Game Altering Special Effects.
- Alex Subarev is on Kickstarter to fund a classless, skill-focused RPG with brutal combat in War and Aether – A Tabletop Role-Playing Game.
- Toby Lancaster has hit the campaign goal for the harsh future and Rad Zone – A Solo, Roll and Write, Print and Play Game.
- Ill Gotten Games is working on a range of 3d printable adventurer minis in Daring Delvers: Three-Stage Fantasy Adventurers.
- Fatum are back with a card based chargen. It’s Fatum, Dark Myths character creator deck.
- Kira Magrann has a solarpunk game about butterfly hybrids sowing the future, one seed at a time. Time to Fly Softly.
- Jae is offering up a collection of maps. How many? 50+ Fantasy Maps for Tabletop RPGs.
- Drawlab are back on Kickstarter with the thematic Legendary Metal Coins season 6.
- Tyler Crumrine is offering 6 games, in 6 genres, over 6 months with POSSIBLE WORLDS: An RPG Subscription Box.
- quEmpire Gaming is funding a solution for your table top with 4-in-1 Status & Condition Markers for Tabletop Games and MTG.
- Blind Visionary Publications has a zine exploring Dungeon Crawl Classics in the shape of Tales from the Smoking Wyrm Issue #3.
- Stephens Woodworks has some gorgeous looking woodcraft on offer with Spell Tracker Vaults and more.
- BootsNMaps is offering a collection of maps. How many? 100+ Tabletop Maps for Dungeons and Dragons or any RPG.
- Wes Otis wants to make your games sound better. There are 62 sci-fi, modern and fantasy tracks in the Plate Mail Games 2021 TTRPG Audio Collection.
- Status Effect Games has a host of random tables, fantasy inn maps, menus, NPCs and other goodies in One Night at the Inn: A dnd and ttrpg guide.
- Cavallione is offering “tons” of easy and basic illustrations with a campaign called Just Lines Virtual Tabletop Assets.
- SmallRedRobin13 has a D&D supplement for magic drinks and cocktails. Enjoy The Humours of Whiskey.
- Christian Augustine says this is not your grandpa’s RPGs. It’s the digital 3E RPG.
- Joel Maunula is offering a new D&D class with six techniques, new fighting styles and abilities with The Dancer: A martial and magical performer for 5e!
- Dustin M. Scott is funding ready to play 11″ by 17″ Raven Press: Scenario-Based Battle Maps.
- Golden Gobin Press has original monsters for Call of Cthulhu from aspiring new authors in the Terror of Octobernomicon.
- Casey Cousins wants to do better than paper-based battle maps that can’t be changed. They’re offering the Adventurer’s Dungeon Board and Tiles for TTRPG
- Cosmondo are offering STL files for The Nightgaunt’s Nightmare – 15 Call of Cthulhu Miniatures.
- Awfully Queer Heroes has a 5e wilderness adventure with original creatures and inclusive NPCs in The Hunt for Sunblade Tower.
If there’s a source or news you think is worth monitoring, please get in touch or leave a comment below.