Welcome to the tail end of the week and Geek Native’s routinely itemised collection of RPG news.
In this column, you’ll get bullet point summaries of RPG news from here and around the web. The idea is this; you’re pretty busy, and so wouldn’t it be great if you could keep scrolling and just absorb what’s happened this week?
You RPG news sponge, you. Absorb away!
This week, on the blog, Fainting Goat Games are helping to give away a physical copy of the Savage Worlds RPG The After to support Tales from the Trail and Geek Native $5 patrons will get a digital copy of the 5e “Battle of the Bands” Tourmaline Valley – Tritonia #1 from Polyhedra.
D&D released a new book this week, and so this column has made a separate space for those reviews. It’s absolutely not all D&D this week, though, with Gen Con changing dates, UKGE refusing to do so, and plenty of news from Pathfinder.
Now, let’s prove that by getting on with the RPG news!
RPG news from Geek Native
- Gen Con rescheduled, but UK Games Expo sticks to its earlier date as convention news for 2021 develops.
- Roll20 now has the core Savage Worlds Adventure Edition rules.
- Polyhedra Games released Tourmaline Valley – Tritonia #1 a battle of the bands for D&D. Geek Native $5 patrons will get it for free.
- Nightfall Games announced the first book for SLA Industries 2e with Threat Analysis: Collateral.
- Goodman Games announced a way to take convention characters from table to table with DCC Legacy.
- The D&D computer game Dark Alliance is out in June.
- ICv2’s latest research confirms D&D’s dominance.
- Geek Native had an exclusive preview of the RPG gamebook Defenders: Throne of the Bandit Lord.
- Geek Native reviewed the “hexcrawl” system Skycrawl.
- Sirius Dice are offering free Cancer Awareness dice with charity donations.
- Digital Dragon Studios released their first product in the shape of a Pathfinder Combat Tracker for 2e.
- Legendary Games delists their Asian Spell Compendium Pathfinder 2e after protests and does so with an apology and the removal of their entire Far East range.
RPG Publisher Spotlight: Dyskami Publishing Company
RPG news from around the web
- Paizo discussed how they will be kicking off Starfinder Society Introduction Scenarios.
- Modiphius talked about Remaking 2d20 for Achtung! Cthulhu and Fallout #1 – Now With Icosahedrons.
- Chase Carter covers the scary story of Cancelled Warframe-inspired RPG highlights the destructive toxicity of online fandom.
- World Anvil added Cyberpunk RED character sheets.
- Pinnacle Entertainment Group put Deadlands the Weird West: Blood on the Range Test Drive Rules on Foundry VTT.
- Bell of Lost Souls notes that We Missed Out on Playable Grippli in Candlekeep.
- On Itch, the Megadungeon Jam launched.
- Cubicle 7 are running a competition for Altdorf – Crown of the Empire.
- Sadly, longtime GAMA officer and director Brian Dalrymple passed away.
RPG reviews and interviews from around the web
- Paul StJohn Mackintosh reviewed The Fall of Delta Green.
- Charles Dunwoody reviewed City of Mist Starter Box.
- Rob Wieland suggested If You Want A Different Flavor of D&D, Try Some Dragon Stew.
- At the Indie Game Reading Club, Paul Beakley did a Deep Dive: Shattered City.
- Ben Erickson reviews Pirates of Pugmire.
- Tomas Gimenez Rioja shares My Experience with Burn Bryte (Why You Should Try It!)
- Wayne Basta wrote up Rogue Review – Anima Beyond Fantasy.
- Sean Hillman reviews Entromancy: The Orchite Age.
- Reviews from R’lyeh covered Vasen with Folkloric Fearsome Foursome.
- Endzeitgiest reviewed Raisa’s Auction Most Wondrous, Star Log.Deluxe: Legacy Species Reforged and Creatures of Shadows over Vathak: Mudwake Boar.
- The Gaming Gan’s Sami Yuhas wrote up Delve Into a Fantasy Horror Megadungeon: Pathfinder – Ruins of Gauntlight Review.
- Angel’s Citadel reviews Liminal.
- At d20radio, Egg Embry shares The Sci-fi Master’s Toolkit: An Interview With Nathan Beattie.
- Handiwork Games interview themselves as Jon Hodgson and Jacob Rodgers talk BEOWULF: The View from the Whale Road.
Candlekeep Mysteries reviews
Candlekeep Mysteries is the latest D&D book from Wizard of the Coast. It was released this week and with all the review coverage as scored its own, but temporary, section within Geek Native’s RPG news round-up.
Overall, positive reviews.
- Bleeding Cool’s Gavin Sheehan kicks off with We Review Dungeons & Dragons: Candlekeep Mysteries.
- At Nerds of Earth, Jason Sansbury said Candlekeep Mysteries: A Good Anthology for 5e Dungeons & Dragons.
- J.R. Zambrano offers up Candlekeep Mysteries – The BoLS review.
- Shawn Ellsworth shares their Candlekeep Mysteries review.
- Strange Assembly also has a Candlekeep Mysteries review.
- Meeple Mountain also weighs in with thoughts from Than Gibson.
RPG new releases
- Swordlords Publishing released the OSE adventure module Hideous Daylight.
- Andrew Montgomery has the sequel to Six Seasons in Sartar RuneQuest adventure The Company of the Dragon.
- Cubicle 7 released the penultimate adventure for Shadows in the Mist for Soubound with Aqua Nurglis.
- Trollish Delver Games publishes a traditional fantasy RPG based on folk horror from medieval Brittain. It is Blood in the Roots.
- W.H. Arthur published the superhero cinematic universe of The First Knight.
- Micro RPG released the Micro Chapbook RPG: Basic Edition.
- Things I Keep published the Year Zero Engine cyberpunk Edgeland.
- Elliot HT Art published the rules-light comedy Definitely Wizards (a game about not being a wizard).
- Handiwork Games released the Beowulf adventure Horror at Herrogate.
- Zadmar released a micro-RPG set in the world of Saga of the Goblin Horde called The Goblin Warrens.
RPG ideas, tips and discoveries
- Modiphius show us how cover art for Achtung! Cthulhu comes together.
- Here’s a dad DM keeping the game going.
- Charles Dunwoody wrote up Warhammer World Building: Soulbound City of Brightspear.
- It’s an impressive first impression from the newly launched Fantasy Town Generator.
- Oumcraft’s dice are watching eyeballs.
- Here’s a cheeky rules idea. Sean Bean as a D&D variant human race.
- Batt in the Attic discussed Small Islands of Wonder, Magic and Society Part 1.
- Tribality offered What To Have Ready Before Session Zero.
- Coleman Gaillorteo compiled a list of Must-Play Tabletop RPGs That are “Forged in the Dark”.
- Campaign Mastery wrote up Compounds of Confusion: Luck and the GM.
- Dicebreaker’s Kiran Trivedy opined Animon Story is shaping up to be the perfect tabletop RPG for Pokemon and Digimon fans.
- Refereeing and Reflection mused on Delta Green’s Garden of Forking Paths and Delta Green’s Return to Duty.
- GameRant pondered What the Dungeons and Dragons Unearthed Arcana Could Say About the Next Sourcebook.
You can see those Kickstarters and other crowdfunding campaigns that caught Geek Native’s attention over at Kickstarter watch. Here are some industry projects worth a mention;
- Chamomile Has a Project (for the 6th time) about intrigue and social as Irena’s Guide to Intrigue and Illusion comes to Kickstarter.
- Gametee has raised more than £50,000 for dice/coin tokens based on D&D character classes with The Crystal Talismans.
- 3D IPStudios are offering STL files for the MONSTERS PACK.
- NeverEnding, Inc is developing a digital tool to illustrate your character. It’s NeverEnding II: Create Your DnD Character How You See Them!
- Dren Productions Games have some great looking job notices for you to hand out to players. It’s the Architects of the Deep: Book of Notices.
- Morrus and EN Publishing are offering orc painters, vampire gossips, gnomish voice-thieves and other colourful characters with Allies & Adversaries: NPCs for D&D 5th Edition.
- Levi Combs has smashed funding targets for an OSR zine of adventures and resources called The Phylactery 3.
- Severed Books have 2-inch-sized, blood-covered and glow in the dark Massive Gelatinous Cube 2 – Oversize Dice / Minis.
- James Shields is funding stock illustrations of Dungeon Dangers & Devices.
- Lair are offering STL files for 3d-printing Dragonbond: Battles of Valerna STL – Nahuac & Ysval RELAUNCH.
- Kobold Star Miniature Painting are funding 3D printable RPG flight stands for Dungeons and Dragons.
- Knothole Emporium is on Kickstarter to make a selection of finely made hardwood dice boxes. The project is The Dice Box Array – Knothole Emporium.
- David Schirduan plans to print several RPGs at once with the The RPG Printing Spree.
- Phlex Mason is on Kickstarter to fund a new YouTube channel that focuses exclusively on the Boss Battle.
- Mystic.Realm is offering up STL 3d-files to make your battle maps look better. It’s the Mystic Realm’s Act 4 Bitter Water of M’eerie Lake [Wetlands]
- BorksMemes have funded a campaign to protect the models you carry to gaming night with The Mini-Holder.
- Brybelly are funding a set of sex 150 reference cards and chips compatible with D&D 5e. It’s The Master’s Vault: Tabletop RPG Equipment Tokens & Cards.
- Adaevy Creations are offering up 3d-printable STL files for horror RPGs with INNSMOUTH INVESTIGATORS.
- Douglas Sun is funding a book about the why and how of random encounters for D&D 5e. The name? That’s not random. Book of Chance Meetings: Random Encounters for D&D 5E
- GreysonWHY has funded a zine of random tables, misery, power and teeth. It’s Börk Morgue #666 for MÖRK BORG.
- Madth Productions are offering custom and limited edition mini paintings, digital battle maps and apparel with Madth Productions: It’s a Madth World.
- Molly E McGuire is funding downloadable and customisable art assets with the VulcariousRPG: Hand Drawn Map Making Elements +.
- Easy Dice Roller Company has raised more than £10,000 for some very pretty Color Shift Dice Trays.
- Resin Lab are offering both resin miniatures and STL files for HeresyLab – Heresy Girl 3.0 – Dark Faction Girls.
- Fletcher Haug has a 5e D&D adventure that will throw open The Gates of the Shadowmage.
- AH Creative Services is funding a project to help your dice and minis come with you. It’s the Table Top Traveling Tray
- Ryan Wolfe has funded a 24×36 inch scale poster map. It’s the 4th Precinct: sci-fi miniature-scale map.
- krakenships follows on from their proof-of-concept project to fund some innovative new tabletop minis. It’s time for the main krakenships Miniatures.
- Battleground Games don’t want your dungeons to look the same and are on Kickstarter with a project called Dungeon Diversity.
- Jeremy Hart Illos is funding their Creature Feature Quarterly Vol. 7 (5e compatible).
If there’s a source or news you think is worth monitoring, please get in touch or leave a comment below.