There wasn’t as much fresh news from Gen Con as there could have been.
Why not? Publishers already had made their big announcements, in many cases, and used the con to start selling their latest games. That’s a good strategy. I can’t imagine a much better time to shift inventory than when you have tens of thousands of gamers walking past your store and each one hunting for souvenirs and new games to try.
Geek Native keeps a living infographic of geek conventions which shows the size and type of each. By ‘type’ I mean whether it’s a gaming con, anime, mixed or something like that. You get to vote for which category best suits the convention and its interesting to note that Gen Con slides a little further away from being a pure ‘gamers con’ with many votes. Did you go this year? Where would you rate it?
Raging Swan Press has won the RPG Publisher Spotlight position for August. I’ve reached out to them and so stay tuned for an article on Creighton Broadhurst’s indie RPG publisher this month.
It’s Friday, and so we like to look back at a week of roleplaying industry news and discoveries.
RPG news from Geek Native
- Chaosium had a great night at the ENnies and Free League a good one. Check out the winners and losers.
- This what the future of Pathfinder 2 looks like.
- The award-winning fantasy science series The Broken Earth is getting an RPG. Green Ronin will publish The Fifth Season Roleplaying Game.
- SLA Industries 2 is coming and we’ve reviewed the free Quickstart.
- Wil Wheaton is suing Legendary Geek & Sundry over Titansgrave: The Ashes of Valkana.
- Morbid? You won’t be able to play this RPG Devil’s Run RPG Quickstart is now free on DriveThruRPG.
- Cubicle 7 will do a Collector’s Edition of the Lord of the Rings RPG.
RPG news from around the web
- A celebrity written D&D adventure book with contributions from Deborah Ann Woll and Marisha Ray is coming.
- Fantasy Flight Games announce the Genesys Foundry with DriveThruRPG to support a third-party marketplace for their Genesys RPG system.
- FFG also announced an Expanded Player’s Guild and GM Screen for Genesys.
- Over at the Bell of Lost Souls, J. R. Zambrano has a GenCon 2019 RPG roundup worth your time.
- Jenn Ellis and Keith Baker are working on The Adventure Zone RPG report EN World.
- Keith Baker shares more insight into Project Raptor for Eberron.
RPG ideas, tips and discoveries
- 17 D&D memes for Evil DMs!
- How to make running RPGs with historical settings easier.
- EN World shared Ed Greenwood on the origins of Forgotten Realms.
- The Three Pillars of 5e D&D are explored by Nerdarchy.
- If your players focus on something, make it matter reminds Neal Litherland of Taking 10.
- James Valadas Marques and Chris Handley talk Top Tips for First Time Game Masters at OnTableTop.
- Slate hosts a podcast with Alison Luhrs, a narrative designer for Dungeons & Dragons as well as Magic: The Gathering and ask How does a Narrative Game Designer do her job?.
- Tonnes of thought on How to Make Better D&D Taverns from Jae at Master the Dungeon.
As is always the case, you can whiz through Geek Native’s write-ups of hand-picked crowdfunding campaigns in Kickstarter Watch.
- Michael Hopcroft, the author of HeartQuest and The Kevin and Kell RPG, returns to the industry with a pitch for The Mirror Tells Her Lies for the d100 system.
- James Streissand isn’t impressed with Wizards of the Coast’s planar efforts and so brings Astral Tides to your attention.
- A charity trying to get more women and non-binary into gaming. It’s No More Damsels.
- The Shadow Profiteer is a dark adventure module for D&D from Halsbren Publishing.
- Skirmisher Publishing has re-released City Builder as a Platinum Edition.
- Tales from the Sorcerer Under the Mountain is a rulebook and adventure for D&D from Newt Newport.
- Andrew Gronosky is collecting funds for Magonomia: The RPG of Renaissance Wizardry.
- Maps: Buildings, Castles and Dungeons for all Fantasy RPGs is a project from Wyrmkeep Entertainment.
- Professional DM, Timothy Peterson has The Fall of Mith: The Siege a 5e adventure on Kickstarter.
What are your news highlights from the RPGscape this week?