Telegram is a free to use, ad-free and privately funded secure instant messaging and voice over IP service. You can grab it from Telegram.org.
The client software, the bit that lives on your phone or desktop, is made public (although the latest version isn’t always available) so that anyone can inspect it for security holes or unwelcome behaviour. The cloud security features are private and hidden. Last year, Telegram had 200 million users.
While WhatsApp will soon block publishers from sending newsletters, Telegram has taken a different direction and supports ‘Telegram Channels’. Channels are broadcast only contacts in the instant messenger which are free from comments and noise and which serve only to give notice of new content.
Sadly, there’s no good search engine for Telegram channels (or groups) and therefore no easy way to find channels that might interest geeks or gamers.
Additionally, a vast number of Telegram channels are used for the shady side of the web and distribute pirate games.
The good news is that not all the channels on Telegram are dodgy.
If you want Telegram alerts from Geek Native when there’s new content on the site then follow the blog on Telegram.
I recommend putting the channel on mute and checking it whenever you want. Unless that is, you really want a phone buzz when there’s a new article live.
5 Telegram channels for gamers
It really isn’t easy finding other useful Telegram channels, and it feels very much as if this a technological problem just waiting for a solution.
In the meantime, here is a shortlist of channels that might interest you.
- Kotaku News – official or not, this Telegram Channel updates whenever Kotaku has new content.
- Clash of Clans – still playing? 15,000 people follow for these official broadcasts.
- Daily Magic: The Gathering – one card a day. Simples.
- PkGoInfo – there’s quite a few Pokemon Go groups and channels on Telegram but PkGoInfo has some 15,000 subscribers.
- Ingress Updates (English) – a well run and helpful channel for any Ingress player.
Not left a comment before? It'll be held in moderation until manually approved.