Hello, hello. It’s Friday which means it’s time for Geek Native’s Routinely Itemised and a recap of a week’s worth of RPG news.
First off, this week also saw Patreon organise Thank You Patrons day and Geek Native took part. On this blog, you found links to other RPG news and review sites and their Patreon programs and a way to get a free cable creature. If you’re a Geek Native patron by the 29th, I’ll pop one in the post for you.
It’s also Black Friday sales launch today so let’s take the time to point to Amazon UK and Amazon US‘s “RPG” sale results. Those are both affiliate links, shopping from them will help pay hosting costs.
This week we look into security risk at Wizards of the Coast, a brand new Warhammer announcement from Games Workshop and how we can use B-Movies to inspire better campaign design.
Now, on with the news!
RPG news from Geek Native
- Wizards of the Coast issued a security alert for old DCI accounts and their online games.
- There’s a steeply discounted Pathfinder first edition sale on Humble Bundle.
- Wizards of the Coast have another charity adventure for Extra Life and this time 100% of money raised goes to charity.
- Triple Ace Games’ creative director, Paul “Wiggy” Wade-Williams had a stroke and so there’ a Bundle of Holding for Necropolis 2350 to raise funds.
- Roll20 reveal their official Eberron: Rising from the Last War support.
- Adult toy company finds their ‘erotic Matt Mercer’ and attracts enough actual play views to launch a full Thanatos RPG campaign.
- Games Workshop announces a new Warhammer franchise.
RPG news from around the web
- Eberron’s creator, Keith Baker, starts a series of posts on the new Eberron book. It starts with What’s new for Eberron.
- Wizards of the Coast also started the countdown on the Adventurers League’s Oracle of War.
- Genesis of Legend Publishing shares a survey of RPG costs, techniques and publishing insights in an analysis of 47 unique studios.
- Forbes’ Rob Wieland did a piece on Grim and Perilous Zweihander RPG.
- PEG has a few copies left over from the Kickstarter of the restricted print run Savage Worlds Collector’s Edition
- Egg Embry interviewed Travis Legge for Scarred Lands over on EN World.
- ICE has been experimenting with crowdsourcing NPC creation over on Twitter. Here’s the result Nomad Myrin.
RPG ideas, tips and discoveries
- Can Necromancers be good? What do you think? We have got an open poll and specifically tackle D&D 5e rules.
- The Genre Police take on b-movies with It Came From The Cinema Screen!
- Which genre kills most player characters? Geek Native runs an investigation.
- Need to randomly generate dangerous sci-fi map encounters?
- N00b Mama speaks the truth when it comes to newbie characters versus veteran characters.
- Thorsteinn Marr at The Yawning Portal wrote up Narratives and Popular Roleplaying Games.
- Over on Roleplaying Tips, Danny East shared 10 Easy Tips for Player Involvement.
- Mike Bourke, writing on Campaign Mastery, shared A Matter of Trust: 14 ways to prevent inter-party conflict.
- Richard Jansen-Parkes reviewed Warhammer’s Enemy Within Part One: Enemy in Shadows.
You can see those Kickstarters and other crowdfunding campaigns that caught Geek Native’s attention over at Kickstarter watch. Here are some industry projects worth a mention;
- Javier Barroso Gil’s Little Fears: Cthulhu’s Tales is a comic, adventure and bestiary for the RPG Little Fears.
- Steve Hampson is promising a way to look at Kickstarter differently with his own Kickstarter for the 2019 Tabletop Games Kickstarter Report.
- Crafty Games already has nearly $100,000 pledged for this Mistborn Metal Dice.
- Fuck D6s – Six-Sided Dice swear when you roll a one.
- Alan Gerding and Tuesday Knight Games have raised nearly $30,000 in just a few days for Gradient Descent a new Module for Mothership the sci-fi horror RPG.
- Marco Sassi is raising money for the steampunk RPG of exploration, war, and glory; Res Obscura.
- VIGOR: Into Dust is a character-forward RPG from Stitchcraft Press.
- Mark Taormino has backed 757 Kickstarters. He’s back with his 9th campaign for his own, and it’s Maximum Mayhem Dungeons #7: Dread Swamp of the Banshee.
Gamerati News Update
Too busy to read? In just over 5 minutes Gamerati’s Marcelo Ferrari will walk you through the week that’s just gone.
What are your news highlights from the RPGscape this week?