Welcome to the end of the week, may your dice roll as you want them. Let’s take a look at the RPG news of news first.
- Roll20 and DriveThruRPG/OBS get together big time.
- Gen Con is dragged back into Court.
- Paizo Publishing turns 20.
- The 2022 ENies are open.
Here in the UK, we’re facing record-breaking heat, although Scotland is a little better off, and it’s at times like this I’m thankful for all those game-makers who think about the planet. Effort adds up.
I’m guilty, though. I failed several willpower-saving throws during Amazon Prime Day, and later this weekend, I’ll be trying to get a new keyboard installed. Seeing the letters on the keys will be a novel experience after all these years. No games, though, not for me. Did you fair any better?
Next year, if I get my act together, perhaps the stuck-in-soft-launch Discord could be a place for deal spot swaps. Next weekend, Capital Con is on, I’m going, so the event channel might see some pictures.
Now, someone said something about RPG news;
Patreons: Town Hall
RPG news from Geek Native
- Thank you! Free stuff and discounts for Geek Native’s patrons.
- In the don’t-call-it-a-merger of the decade, Roll20 and DriveThruRPG team up. The new boss? The Roll20 boss.
- Gen Con is heading back to court as the Appeals Court allows Zak S to press some charges.
- Geek Native takes a non-playtest look at the no-combat Tolkien Back Again from the Broken Land.
- Wizards of the Coast gave D&D Beyond users a free copy of Spelljammer Academy.
- The Gauntlet Gaming Community released several editions of Trophy to DTRPG.
- The deals are gone, but the loot is still there, so why not stalk to the RPG tome carrying Adventurer’s Bag.
- Want a lot of RPG? There are more than 6,000 pages of OSR goodness with Castle Oldskull in the Bundle of Holding.
- Meanwhile, at Humble, there are some impressive savings on the Shadowrun RPG deal.
Spotlight: Long Shadows Press
RPG news from around the web
- Happy 20th birthday and 15th anniversary of Lost Omens. Paizo look back at the Kobold King!
- Paizo also made some changes to their subscription package.
- Hasbro says they will debut a first-ever toy line from Dungeons & Dragons at San Diego Comic-Con.
- UltraPro also has D&D goodies coming with a movie game accessory line.
- Christian Hoffer notes Marvel Multiverse RPG Releases New Rules Update; Adds Five New Characters
- EN World writes up the D&D Ships of Spelljammer video.
- It’s been a busy week at Cubicle 7 with a reveal of Soulbound: Blackend Earth.
- Cubicle 7 also gets into their new Doctor Who 5e with The Rules and looks at Doctors and Daleks – Conflict!
- Modiphius has named 20th through the 22nd as 2d20 Day.
- Dicebreaker notes Mörk Borg’s artless, plain-text edition costs nothing and finally adds accessibility.
- Role reveals their D&D Beyond integration and free starter adventure.
- Malcolm Sheppard looks back at four years of Green Ronin’s Modern AGE more than once.
- Wizards of the Coast D&D Adventurer’s League share the Forgotten Realms Player’s Guide update.
- The 2022 ENnies are open for voting.
RPG reviews and interviews from around the web
- Kotaku’s Claire Jackson looks at Hunter: The Reckoning and concludes This Tabletop Horror RPG Will Have You Putting Away D&D.
- Rob Wieland also shares a review of the new Hunter The Reckoning.
- Beth Rimmels pens another cracker with a review of Slaying the Dragon: The Secret History of Dungeons & Dragons.
- Seed of Worlds reviews Strongholds & Followers.
- Ludus Hero asks Let me gush about Savage Worlds Supers!
- RPG.net’s completely coincidental reviews Querent: The Cartomancer’s Tome.
- The Illuminerdi reviews Stargate SG-1 Roleplaying Game.
- Reviews from R’lyeh writes up Green Ronin’s The Expanse RPG.
- Jared Rascher shares what they knows about Cyberpunk Slice (Modern Age).
- At Gnome Stew, Jared also looks into Ruins of Symbaroum Player’s Guide.
- Dom at Signals from Delta Pavonis shares first impressions of Svilland Campaign Setting and the Untold Sagas Lore Book.
- Egg Embry reviews Pathfinder Roleplaying Game for Savage Worlds Adventure Edition: Advanced Player’s Guide.
- On d20 Radio, Egg Embry talks about When the Wolf Comes with Ian Stuart Sharpe.
- Show Snob’s Wade Wainio shares an interview with Critical Role soundtrack composer Sterling Maffe (Hexany Audio).
RPG new releases
- Frughtlupes has published the kid-appropriate spooky RPG The Gloom.
- Aeron Games and Mark Shirley release the feudal fantasy RPG of Perceforest: Mythras Roleplaying in a Land of High Chivalry and Wonder.
- Daylight Publications publish Supers & Sorcery Presents… Andurhyd
- Marren’s Musings has built a whole RPG about those medieval Snail Knights.
- Cubicle 7 stay busy with the release of Wrath & Glory’s The Null Hypothesis.
RPG bundle deals
- Save $18.96 (39%) with 2D Storyteller’s Summer Bundle.
- Save $15.34 (40%) with Pink Dice Bag Publishing’s Fantasy Location Bundle.
- Save $2.95 (19%) with Dragonshorn Studios’ Hostile Takeover – Foundry + PDF (5E/3.5E) bundle.
RPG ideas, tips and discoveries
- Journey designer and guest author Tom Hart reviewed the indie RPG Tide Breaker.
- Charles Dunwoody continues his world-building series using Twilight: 2000.
- Wargamer offers up D&D Kobold 5e Guide.
- Kobold Press, however, write up Children of Typhon: The Iron Keepers.
- World Anvil’s experts share tips and videos on How to write a D&D campaign setting.
- Game in the Brain explain How to use the World Generator Spreadsheet.
You can see those Kickstarters and other crowdfunding campaigns that caught GeekNative’ss attention over at Kickstarter watch. Here are some industry projects worth a mention;
- Wyrmwood Gaming has many thousands of backers and through half a million in dollars pledged for The Game Master Screen by Wyrmwood.
- Laural MCL is a writer and cartographer with a Kickstarter going for A Guide to Guilds For D&D 5E.
- Daniel James has funded a fiendish tome in the shape of Dalor’s Guide To Devils & Demons.
- Jerry Joe Seltzer knows Spelljammer is coming and so offers us the Shipwrecks of the Astral Sea.
- Blind Visionary Publications return to DCC with Tales from the Smoking Wyrm issue 5.
- Modern Artifice has a luxury set of metal, resin, hollow and hybrid die with Arcane Anomalies: An Artisan Dice Collection.
- Morrus and EN Publishing want to tug at heart strings with Til Death Do Us Part: Adventures With Heart For 5E.
- The offcuts on Kickstarter, are Flops by Oxy.
- Matthew David brings gothic horror to levels 1 through 5 characters in The Dark Nun’s Church, a D&D 5e Adventure.
- Yokai Group Gaming have a 5E anime RPG setting on the go, and it’s Brave: Guide to the shattered.
- Vortex Studios are funding a collectible set of STLs for The Awakening of the Dragon Queen.
- Three Hound Games are working on a new RPG with a focus on exploration and dynamic combat in Mythis.
- Caleb Hager is working on an app for tabletop gamers. Find groups, friends and Tavrn: Find Your Game.
- Caleb Engelke, aka Dungeon Havoc, is exploring the woods through the medium of
Tales and Poetry of Sarkash | A Mörk Borg Supplement.
- Blake Ryan is funding a game about people who can perform magic. It’s Nexus Modern Sorcery
- Douglas Sun offers two locations and D&D 5E Modules: Tomb Raiders of Orek / Into the Royal Tombs.
- Necromancer Games has many thousands of dollars pledged for Whisper & Venom: Dark Fantasy Adventure for 5e and OSE.
- Fletcher Haug is funding a collection of 5e adventures and Maps & Monstrum Compendium
If there’s a source or news you think is worth monitoring, please get in touch or leave a comment below.