It’s a weird time to be writing an RPG news summary as Gen Con has started, but the big weekend is about to begin. It’s been a busy week, more controversies, lots of new games, and we might predict the same for the coming week.
Wizards of the Coast’s Witchlight has made enough noise to get its own and strictly temporary section in the RPG news this week.
The RPG Publisher Spotlight article is out, and it includes a Q&A style chat with Jason Holmgren and some insight into what Sanguine Games is up to.
As ever, thanks to Geek Native’s Patrons who make the Spotlight happen.
Here’s a perk that’s not mentioned very often; but there’s a resources section on the site too. Easy bookmarks to popular pages.
There are lots of bundles and competitions to tempt you with but one worth a mention here, as it’s pretty rare, is this early chance to secure some Peculiar Discoveries cards.
Now, let’s dig into that RPG news!
RPG news from Geek Native
- Game historian Jon Peterson’s investigation into the battle for Dungeon & Dragons, Game Wizards, is now on pre-order.
- At Gen Con, Paizo announced the launch of Pathfinder Infinite and Starfinder Infinite.
- Chaosium will release a limited edition special 40th anniversary Call of Cthulhu Keeper Rulebook.
- Dwarven Forge has announced a new product range, one that shows off your mathrocks, with Dice Reliquaries.
- Matt Forbeck, who is currently working on the upcoming official Marvel RPG, announced he would bring Shotguns & Sorcery to 5e.
- The official D&D setting Al-Qadim is supported by third-party/DMs Guild creations and that now includes this free to download Adventurer’s Guide to Zakhara.
- Demiplane, the looking for group site, inks a deal to integrate the virtual tabletop TaleSpire.
- Looking for a job? The British government is looking to explore a team of professional wargamers.
- The Bundle of Holding has two sets of Mutants & Masterminds deals.
- Help raise Hurricane Ida recovery funds with the Ida Bundle – $282 for $20.
- Take part in Gun Metal Games’ 16th birthday with 140 downloads in a $670 for $25 bundle.
Spotlight: Sanguine Productions
RPG news from around the web
- Nigerian publisher NIBCARD Games, who also run the first tabletop convention in West Africa, won the Diana Jones Award.
- GAMA announced the results of their Special Board Election. Grace Collins takes the creators position, Monica Rasso gets media, Eric Price gets production, Stephan Brissaud gets publishers, Kylie Prymus gets retailers, and there will be a runoff election for wholesale after a tie.
- Wizards of the Coast have announced a new D&D Celebration event.
- Michael Curtis joins Goodman Games as Director of Product Development for Dungeon Crawl Classics.
- Dicebreaker wrote up Freddie Taylor-Bell’s Watership Down inspired Briar and Bramble.
- Official rules are now available on Foundry VTT for Savage Pathfinder.
- The Blog of Holding published a preview of the toughest monster in Level Up: Advanced 5E‘s Monstrous Menagerie, the Tarrasque.
- Gnome Stew’s Di wrote up the unsettling (sexual misconduct alleged) Fall or Arcadum.
- Collider has an interview with Justice Smith, who calls the D&D movie Funny as Hell.
- Board Game Quest writes up Gaming Goat CEO Jeff Bergren escorted out of Gen Con.
- RPG.net curated a series of tweets around controversial firings and management behaviour at Paizo.
- Privateer Press shared the illustration process for the Iron Kingdoms RPG Borderlands & Beyond.
- Spanish Publisher ShadowLands will pick up and translate The Dee Sanction.
- At EN World, Morrus wrote up the Kickstarter How to RPG with Your Cat.
- Local news site Drogheda Life noted Stamullen is home to one of world’s biggest role playing games companies (spoiler: it’s Cubicle 7.
- Modiphius has launched a store for Canada and the United States.
The Wild Beyond The Witchlight
- Reviews for D&D’s official The Wild Beyond The Witchlight come from Strange Assembly.
- A thread on EN World noted that Witchlight publishes the new official format for player character races.
- D&D Beyond Get a Sneak Peek at Harengons From The Wild Beyond the Witchlight, a new race.
- EN World was also able to preview Witchlight’s New Rabbit People.
- GamesRadar noted The Wild Beyond the Witchlight is a D&D world where a bad mood could kill you.
RPG reviews and interviews from around the web
- On Reddit, tabletoptheory reviewed Shanna Germain and Sean K. Reynold’s Consent in Gaming.
- Jeremy Buxman reviewed Christian Cinkle’s City at the Edge of the Universe.
- Antonios S shares thoughts on Free League Publishing’s Symbaroum Adventure Collection.
- TechRaptor reviewed Van Richten’s Guide to Ravenloft.
- Endzeitgiest reviewed Acid Death Fantasy for Troika, and what a cover!
- Reviews from R’lyeh reviewed Cobble Path Games’ Locus horror RPG. There was even time for a review of THose Dark Places’ The AMC-222 Report adventure review.
- Polyhedral Nonsense reviewed the Zorro RPG.
- Rob Wieland reviewed Brindlewood Bay.
- WarGarage reviewed Modiphius’ 2d20 system Fallout RPG.
- Wargamer published Animal Adventures review – it’s D&D 5E, Jim… but adorable.
- Nerds on Earth reviewed Secrets of Magic for Pathfinder 2e.
- Also, Roleplayers Chronicle did the same with a Secrets of Magic review.
- Halfway Station 3.0 reviewed Cepheus Deluxe.
- Egg Embry interviewed Plus One Exp’s Tony Vasinda.
- Egg also, on d20Radio, talked Heavy Metal Thunder Mouse with Shoreless Skies Publishing’s Derek A. Kamal.
- Polygon has an exclusive interview with the Hickmans about their 5e setting Skyraiders of Abarax.
RPG new releases
- Steven Pankotai published the high-octane and emotional mix of Mad Max and Firefly RPG DIESEL.
- Lightning Mage Game Design has published a jet-fighter RPG called Thunderbolt: An Aerial Knight.
- Bramble Wolf Games released an X-men inspired RPGs about communities and marginalised people making space for themselves with Exceptionals.
- Stoneshore published a strategic tabletop RPG about three monarchs vying for dominance with Champions of Power and Dread.
- Japanime Games released Glitter Hearts.
- P. B. Publishing put a special hardcover edition into the DMs Guild for The Haunt Trilogy.
- Modiphius released Dune – Adventures in the Imperium Gamemaster’s Toolkit.
- A Couple of Drakes published the post-apocalyptic fey fantasy and action RPG Hedge.
- The Chronicles of Darkness got a little larger as Onyx Path release Mummy: The Curse second edition.
- Modiphius adds to Star Trek Adventures with the release of the Shackleton Expanse Campaign Guide.
- Isolation Games publish gothic action of When the Moon Hangs Low.
- Meguey & Vincent Baker have published The Wizard’s Grimoire.
RPG bundle deals
- Save $103.62 with Skirmisher Publishing and their OGL/d20 mega bundle.
- Save $63.48 (59%) with Heroic Maps’ Norrøngard: Map Pack 1.
- Save $22.94 (60%) with this Knights & Legends Tabletop RPG’s All You Can Play bundle.
- Save $13.60 (44%) with this DMs Guild Ravenloft Player’s Compendium PDF and Fantasy Grounds bundle.
- Save $5.84 (21%) with Edge Studio’s Starcana GENCON 2021 bundle, $3.12 (21%) with their Mechasys GENCON 2021 deal or $1.24 (21%) with the Genesys Supplements bundle.
- Save $3.90 (30%) with this Onyx Path Publishing Lilith Halloween Sale bundle.
RPG ideas, tips and discoveries
- Rupture RPG lead designer Kenny Francis guest posted for Geek Native on exploring myself through characters.
- Plastic Polyhedra suggest Go Build a Dungeon!
- James Maliszewski writes up Random Roll: DMG, pp. 111-112.
- Dreaming Dragon Slayer re-shares the Dungeon Checklist.
- Kobold Press’ Play with Class offers Rally a Ruthless Rogue.
You can see those Kickstarters and other crowdfunding campaigns that caught Geek Native’s attention over at Kickstarter watch. Here are some industry projects worth a mention;
- Plydolex is a family business and offering gorgeous Portable Paint Case for Miniature Painting – Hold and Carry.
- Erin Rabideau is funding an app to find local gamers in a project called Gamification Social Media Platform for Gamers.
- Basik Tabletop is offering simple but quality props with BasikCoins: Affordable Metal Coins.
- Josh Krause wants M:TG and RPGers (but mainly the former) to protect their tabletops with Johannes Voss Playmat Collection.
- Laura MCL has packed up 10 5e adventures with Deadly Dungeons: Quests for D&D 5E.
- 40 soundtracks funded with Plate Mail Games’ 2021 TTRPG Horror Audio Collection.
- Ian Tassin has hit targets for the dynamic Apotheosis TTRPG.
- Jeffrey Jones is mixing fun and danger with the Journey Into The Madlands: A Post–Apocalyptic RPG Zine
- Kieran Goodlet is funding magical items and powerful NPCs with The Material Shards: 10 Mythical Artifacts for 5E.
- Xardas-3D is offering up ruins and a sci-fi camp with The Ancient portal – 3d printable set of models
- Arthun are funding light-weight aircraft-grade aluminium NEXUS DICE
- Derek A. Kamal is writing new worlds for mice and motorcycles in Heavy Metal Thunder Mouse: Beyond Thunder City.
- Applewhite Games has a 5e Halloween adventure for only $1 ready in the shape of The Sisters Grimm’ Adventure for DnD5e.
- Role 4 Initiative have broken the 10K mark with Diffusion™ Dice: Classes & Creatures.
- Occupied Hex Games are working on a post-apocalyptic gaspunk western RPG called DUSTER.
- Bulwark Gaming are offering hand crafted wooden dice boxes in a project called Bulwark’s Dice Bastion.
- Limitless Adventures return with a comic and adventure. It’s 5th Evolution: Carbide City #2 – 5e Super Heroes
- AAG Games pay tribute to the shape of dice with EDGEROLL DICE: Metal dice inspired by geometric shapes.
- Mythroll Armory have funded hollow metal dice with the Die of Newt: Spell Component Series.
- Fat Dragon Games have many tens of thousands of dollars of support for the 3D printable terrain of DRAGONLOCK: Shadowgrove Forest.
- OddFish Games have a good idea for random with How to RPG with Your Cat.
- Chamomile Has A Project returns for another Kickstarter and another success with Kessler’s Guide to Dungeons.
- Jimmy Wild is funding a D&D 5e adventure called Goblins in the Grendewold.
- Dustin Games Ross has designed a 3D printable monument in the shape of BioRuin – Pay What You Want
- Joy Games Interactive have RPGs and wargames in mind with Grand Duchy of Moscow: 3d printable 28-32mm miniatures.
- Monster Gaming have eased past 10K for their Monster Adventure Terrain 2 – Customizable DnD World Builder.
- Made with both natural and synthetic stones, it’s a success for 76Ray Gemstone dice RPG dice
- Matthew Morris has an unofficial supplement for Mausritter in Bernpyle: YEAR ONE.
- All or Nothing Games are funding a neon-infused cyberpunk roll and write with Write the Future.
- Tanya Floaker has funded a SLA Industries fanzine called Ebb & Flow.
- Chrstian Eichhorn deals with human life and memories in Galgenbeck: Sacrifice | A Mörk Borg Adventure.
- Dream Machine Co are making props and game tokens with RAGNAROK Coins Vol. 2.
- Sharik L Peck II has returned to Kickstarter with a new wave of Healer’s Dice: Rainbow Edition by Arcanist’s Armory.
- Gaming Honors bring wave two of the health indicator’s The Knight Hero Pin: Collectible RPG Accessory.
If there’s a source or news you think is worth monitoring, please get in touch or leave a comment below.