Phew. We made it to the end of the week… and that’s despite some serious WordPress plugin woes behind the scenes here at Geek Native.
It’s virtual conference season time with giants like Gen Con Online and UKGE’s Virtually Expo open for registration.
DriveThruRPG also have their Christmas in July sale on, so don’t miss out. The best-sellers include;
- Arcanist Press’ Ancestry & Culture: An Alternative to Race in 5e.
- Cubicle 7’s Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Soulbound.
- River Horse Games’ Jim Henson’s Labyrinth: The Adventure Game.
- Catalyst Game Labs’ MechWarrior: Destiny
- Arcanist Press’ Custom Ancestries and Cultures.
That’s a good mix and (I should probably dig into this a bit more) interesting to see the Ancestries and Cultures books doing well. That shows a significant volume of gamers are interested in this alternative to how D&D 5e currently handles races.
In unexpected news, it turns out that you have until the 28th of this month to secure yourself a fluffy little soot sprite by becoming a patreon. That offer was supposed to be for last month, but I guess I can’t be trusted to use a calendar correctly! Oops.
And now, on with the news!
RPG news from Geek Native
- Dungeons & Dragons has new official playtest material as Unearthed Arcana introduces 16 new feats.
- Wizards of the Coast have offered game designer Orion D. Black an apology. They’re hiring for a Diversity Equity & Inclusion manger too.
- We look at the braille dice campaign The DOTS RPG Project.
- There’s a virtual queue for UKGE’s Virtually Expo.
- World Anvil gets Pathfinder 2e character sheets.
- Storm Bunny Studios publish the World of Alessia Campaign Primer.
- 9th Level Games will run tabletop RPGs with you in their Hosted Online Play service.
- Pinnacle Entertainment has a Bundle of Holding filled with The Savage World of Flash Gordon.
- Humble Bundle has a huge Pathfinder 2e deal.
- As part of a movie marketing deal, there’s now a boxed Green Knight RPG.
RPG news from around the web
- DriveThru’s big Christmas in July Sale is on.
- Registration for Gen Con Online is open.
- Dicebreaker’s Alex Meehan wrote up an excellent Jiangshi: Blood in the Banquet Hall is an RPG about cooking and vampires.
- Robert Purchese and Eurogamer covered the launch of the RPG Quest.
- ComicBook.com covered Dungeons & Dragons Meets Post-Apocalyptic Horror With The Lost Citadel.
- Meanwhile, ComicBookResources asked Should Dungeons & Dragons Do Away with Moral Alignments.
- Osprey Publishing shared the first designer blog for Those Dark Places RPG.
- Cubicle 7 gave us a look at upcoming releases for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay.
- Chaosium has released Harlem Unbound – 2nd edition.
- Pelgrane Press upgraded The Black Book Gumshoe Gaming Software with a beta release of Game Master Tools.
- R. Talsorian Games gave us Meet the NeoCorps for Cyberpunk Red.
RPG ideas, tips and discoveries
- Denny Connolly at GameRant offered up How To Start Your Adventure in Theros.
- Adam Harrison at Bell of Lost Souls wrote up D&D: An Adventurer’s Guide to Mystara.
- The Board Game Guide published The Ultimate D&D Character Creation Guide.
- Lewis Pulsipher shared Worlds of Design: Medieval Trade & Scale.
- D&D Beyond offered up Worldbuilding with Magic.
- Jesse Cohoon shared 8 Ideas for Your Next Adventure.
- DM David suggested 5 Reasons Most D&D Players Stopped Exploring Megadungeons.
- Rolling Boxcars put together this helpful Finding Inspiration for Your Next Game.
You can see those Kickstarters and other crowdfunding campaigns that caught Geek Native’s attention over at Kickstarter watch. Here are some industry projects worth a mention;
- Easy Roller Dice Company have raised more than $12,000 for these Color Spray Dice.
- Laura Hammonds is Kickstarting a set of enamel pins with the theme Dogs and Dice.
- Ian Haramaki is back with a colourful The Deck of Many Things reprint.
- Adam Vass has a runaway success on their hands with the science fantasy about new planets in a dead galaxy. It’s Necronautilus.
- Simone Percossi is promising the future of tabletop games with A.R.G.S..
- Bite Sized Gaming has an adventure and player options for D&D characters through levels 1, 2 and 3 with Motherload.
- Diego Pisa Artworks has raised more than €1,000 to crowdfund a new D&D 5e class of Librarians.
If there’s a source or news you think is worth monitoring, please get in touch or leave a comment below.