Geek Native and DriveThruRPG are looking back at 2020 and at which RPGs did well.
Yesterday, we looked at the best selling horror RPGs and today we’re listing modern RPGs.
What is a modern RPG? The charts this year are lightly edited to remove supplements that don’t seem to fit the genre, despite the tagging from the publisher. For modern; this chart includes supernatural, anime and alternative reality settings. If the setting is broadly contemporary, then the fact that characters are witches does not disqualify it as a game with a modern environment.
Best selling modern RPGs of 2020
(That were published in 2020)
- Ultramodern5 REDUX (5th Edition) by Dias Ex Machina Games.
- Chicago By Night (Vampire: the Masquerade 5th Edition) by Onyx Path Publishing.
- Geist: The Sin-Eaters Second Edition by Onyx Path Publishing.
- The Chicago Folios (Vampire: the Masquerade 5th Edition) by Onyx Path Publishing.
- Kamigakari: God Hunters by Serpent Sea Games.
- Night Horrors: Nameless and Accursed by Onyx Path Publishing.
- Titanomachy (A Collection of Threats for Scion Second Edition) by Onyx Path Publishing.
- Defiant Role Playing Game by Game Machinery.
- M20 Book of the Fallen by Onyx Path Publishing.
- Alice is Missing: A Silent Roleplaying Game by Hunters Entertainment.
You don’t have to be too eagle-eyed to notice there are many of Onyx Path’s horror titles in the top ten. It’s another dominant performance by Onyx Path, who, as they did with horror is responsible for many of the best sellers.
Geek Native reviewed Defiant earlier this year, just as the RPG was published. It’s a good example of how an indie publisher can create something new in a modern setting, albeit with a supernatural arc, and excite the gaming community.
Creative Commons credit: Post Apocalyptic Theme Park by veracruzacortes.
Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.