As we approach the end of the year, Geek Native and DriveThruRPG are looking back at RPGs that did well. Yesterday we looked at not-D&D fantasy RPGs and found the best-seller was one that adapted D&D.
Today we’re looking at horror, and there’s at least one thing in common. As with the “other fantasy” selection, this list started off as an export of products tagged “horror” and has been lightly edited to remove supplements that clearly aren’t horror.
OneBookShelf, DriveThruRPG’s owner, has a helpful Twitch stream for publishers that talks about promoting your games and tight tagging.
Here are the top 10 selling horror RPG products that were published in 2020.
Best selling horror RPGs of 2020
(That were published in 2020)
- Chicago By Night (Vampire: the Masquerade 5th Edition) by Onyx Path Publishing.
- Geist: The Sin-Eaters Second Edition by Onyx Path Publishing.
- The Chicago Folios (Vampire: the Masquerade 5th Edition) by Onyx Path Publishing.
- Dissident Whispers by Tuesday Knight Games.
- BLASTER: Volume 1 by BLASTER.
- Thousand Year Old Vampire by The Hutchingsonian Presents-PlaGMaDA.
- Malleus Monstrorum – Cthulhu Mythos Bestiary by Chaosium.
- Night Horrors: Spilled Blood by Onyx Path Publishing.
- Vaesen – Nordic Horror Roleplaying by Free League Publishing.
- Let the Streets Run Red (Vampire: the Masquerade 5th Edition) by Onyx Path Publishing.
Hats off to Onyx Path Publishing for dominating that top ten of horror. As it happens, the thing horror and “other fantasy” have in common is also Onyx Path as they were the only publisher to appear twice in the latter list.
Thousand Year Old Vampire deserves a mention. First an indie darling for its imaginative approach to roleplaying a vampire so old that they’re struggling with their memories. Then for wowing Shut Up and Sit Down which lead to a second printing, I believe. Lastly, for picking up Best Rules (gold), Best Production Values (gold) and Product of the Year (silver) in the ENnies.
Creative Commons credit: Clan Nosferatu by Agantyr.
Hit us up with some intelligent observations in the comment box below.