We’ve made it to the end of the week, and here in the UK, it’s a long weekend for something that could have come from a game of D&D. We’re crowing a new King.
Maybe there will be knights and dragon attacks?
Let’s not worry about British weirdness; let’s first do our summary of RPG news summaries!
- A D&D game broke the world record for the largest ever played
- Jeff Easley’s signature was erased from an Honour Among Thieves poster.
- KB Presents closes
- There’s a significantly huge Atlas Games’ Ars Magica 4th Edition bundle
It’s the start of the month, so I can announce that Zotiquest Games won the RPG publisher spotlight.
Patrons can vote in the next round and for the next month. The candidates are:
I’m taking the holiday anyway.
Now! It’s time to get on with the RPG news!
RPG news from Geek Native
- You can buy the D&D adventure that broke the Guinness World Record, but can you survive The Dead Wars?
- Egg noticed that Jeff Easley’s signature had been removed from the Honour Among Thieves poster, and after some angst, we ran the story.
- IDW Publishing cut into staff, leaving us to wonder, are the D&D comics impacted?
- VTT challenger One More Multiverse leaves beta and remains free to play.
- In the Bundle of Holding, there’s an all-new deal on early Traveller FASA books.
- Better than a bundle? Free! Geek Native patrons are getting The Curse of Er’Mah’Gerd .
Spotlight: Zotiquest Games
RPG news from around the web
- Build-a-Bear signs up Dungeons and Dragons. A dragon, at least.
- Eberron creator Keith Baker quits Eberron as KB Presents closes and remaining books transfer to Visionary Production and Design.
- EN World runs the latest D&D playtest from Unearthed Arcana.
- The world is a dark place as Lance Gose reports Dungeons & Dragons DM Harassed By Players For Ending 2-Year-Long Campaign.
- SpikeyBits report that Hasbro & Wizards of the Coast Sales Up But Profits Down.
- Roll20 showcase their redesigned VTT.
- Paizo has a Pafinder Society: Year 5 announcement.
- Paizo showcases their forthcoming Starfinder Ports of Call Starfinder hardcover.
- Green Ronin announce future plans for Fantasy AGE.
- DriveThruRPG/Roll20 announce the second-ever PocketQuest design jam.
- ICv2 notes the GAMA Expo News: R. Talsorian reveals new deets on ‘Cyberpunk RED RPG’ book.
RPG reviews and interviews from around the web
- PC Gamer’s Robin Valentine lets you know The new Warhammer 40,000 tabletop RPG is like playing D&D in a horrifying galaxy where everything wants to kill you
- The Alexandrian is up to part 1 and a part two of the review of Shadow of the Dragon Queen.
- Reviews from R’lyeh takes a look at Luke Gygax’s OS1 The Eye of Chentoufi.
- Grognardia offers up a retrospective on Ghostbusters: A Frightfully Cheerful RPG.
- MJR RPG reviews Blackwater Creek.
- The Indie Game Reading Club’s Paul Beakley rounds up even more Q1 reviews.
- The Other Side continues the series of reviews into FASA’s Doctor Who.
- DungeonSolvers reviews The Simple RPG.
- Superjump’s Cat Weblin has an Interview With Realm Architect Creator Nils Philips.
RPG new releases
- David McDonough releases a minimalist fantasy RPG in Spirit & Steel. There are free quick start rules.
- Ghostfire Games give us the grim 5e of;
- Borne by a Paladin, stolen by a demon – Frog God eat the Heart of St. Bathus.
- Monsters watch hungrily over humanity in Fabio Silva’s Fate Plus Monster Hunter.
- Onyx Path Publishing has a silver best seller with Trinity Continuum: Adventure!.
- Jonathan Green and ACE Gamebooks have released an RPG set in the world of Beowulf Beastslayer with HEOROT.
- Ross Leiser and Outland Adventure Productions hit publish on the masterpiece edition of Sculptor.
- Kobold Press publish their $5 book on 5e warfare with Book of Blades.
- In physical release news, and with the Target exclusive running out, gamers can pre-order from elsewhere the Avatar Legends: The Roleplaying Game (Starter Set).
RPG bundle deals
- Save $182.95 (70%) with Atlas Games’ Ars Magica 4th Edition bundle.
- Save $25 (28%) on the Dragon-Knight Publishing Starfall+Hardcover bundle.
- Save $20 (25%) on the Dragon-Knight Publishing Starfall Collection bundle.
- Save $16.76 (33%) with Moon Toad Publishing’s Cepheus Core set.
- Save $9.03 (50%) with the DMsGuild’s SJ: The Dungeoncraft Collection VI.
- Save $8.85 (56%) with the Chaosium community content bundle Call of Cthulhu Survival bundle.
- Save $7.35 (50%) with Azukail Games’ One Week Bundle: Sci-Fi Electrum Best Sellers.
- Save $4.39 (20%) on Aventure Ripples’ Adventures of Ethelon Vol 1 – Dangers in the Forest! bundle.
RPG ideas, tips and discoveries
- ABC Radio Melbourne reports Dungeons & Dragons role-playing skills transferable to the workplace, lecturer says.
- Bell of Lost Souls crunches through the fan discussion and notes Pathfinder Remaster Changes: Player Core Edition – Say Goodbye To Alignment.
- Wired’s Laurence Russell reports Neurodivergent Gamers Are Getting a Seat at the Tabletop.
- Chaosium has free Basic Roleplaying character sheet packs.
- Kobold Press write up their Playtest Packet #3 Design Diary.
- DungeonSolvers look into The Pros and Cons of Playing on a Virtual Tabletop.
You can see those Kickstarters and other crowdfunding campaigns that caught Geek Native’s attention over at Kickstarter watch. Here are some industry projects worth a mention;
- Monsters of Mythic Greece from Ahimsa Kerp nominates “A Very Old School RPG Adventure”
- Korg Slayer | A Solo-TTRPG Game from Caleb Engelke kickstarts “Korg Slayer builds on the solo ttrpg experience by filling the world with heinous foes that must be slain if there is to be peace.”
- Back to BasiX Issue #12 Fanzine from Thom Wilson pitches “Twelfth issue of the series for B/X, OSE, and other OSR games.”
- Devilry For Old-School Essentials from Appendix N Entertainment is working on “Classic & New Devils For OSE”
- The NPC Chronicles from PGScard is working on “Bring Your NPCs to Life: The Ultimate Resource for GMs”
- 20 Wondrous Walls – D&D, Pathfinder, and Black Flag from Matthew J. Hanson submits “Twenty new wall spells for D&D, Pathfinder, and project Black Flag. Wall of paper, wall of vines, wall of death, and more!”
- LOVECRAFT’S TALES from RAPSODA GAMES offers “A unique roll & write game that will transport players into the dark and fascinating world of H.P. Lovecraft.”
- Amazing Encounters & Quests from CZRPG offers “A 5e book with 36 encounters, 36 maps (350+ versions), and new creatures. All this to help you save prep time and impress your players”
- Limitless Lands of Darabok (5E) from Limitless Adventures submits “Expanded combat and spell mechanics, new classes, and exploration in shattered worlds for 5th Edition.”
- 5E Magic Item Cards – handouts for all classic 5E items from Eventyr Games introduces “Make magic items easier to use and more immersive with 300 beautiful card handouts for 5E’s most iconic magic items!”
- Vor & Pal: Knights of Chaos 5E from Eric Bleney proposes “Delve into the twin knights Vor & Pal’s corruption, and unveil the secret behind it in this thrilling adventure for levels 5-7.”
- The Emporium of Wonders 5E from M.T. Black nominates “Surprise and delight your players with 400 new magic items for the world’s favorite roleplaying game!”
- The Traveler’s Guide to the Ruins of the Mana Kings from Chamomile Has A Project introduces “A 5e sourcebook of ancient magic and forgotten ruins, including a new region in the Creative Commons Weskven setting.”
- Viva La Dungeon Issue #1 from Zontco LLC pitches “A fantasy zine filled with maps, monsters and magic for any campaign or solo-play.”
- DnD 5e One Shots of Ethelon Vol 3 – Ancient Temples! from Adventure Ripples crowdfunds “Uncover the secrets of Lost Worlds in these thematic D&D 5e adventures that will upgrade your campaign and keep your players on edge!”
- Yarthe Campaign Setting for 5E & Pathfinder from Draconum Studio nominates “A retro-futurist alternate history setting”
- The Storytellers Screen – Tavern Style Wooden DM Screen from Robert Melrose suggests “Rustic Style DM Screens To Build Your Games Atmosphere”
- Pew Pew: No Disintegrations from Mike Lafferty introduces “A new rules light scifi Tabletop RPG about Bounty Hunters in Space. The latest in the Pew Pew series.”
- It all started in a Tavern – Get your adventure on! from Bea DnD offers “Adventure Hooks, NPC’s, Encounters, Loot and Magic Items for your games”
- The Codex Eternal: Campaign Setting from Horizon’s End suggests “A universal campaign setting with new races, paths to immortality and a classless leveling system adaptable to any tabletop experience!”
- The Mystery Flesh Pit National Park RPG from Christopher Robin Negelein/Ganza Gaming introduces “The official tabletop RPG of the MFPNP website.”
- Architects of the Deep: One-Shot Adventures Vol 2 from Dren Productions Games is working on “Three awesome digital One-Shot Adventures for 5e starting at only $5!”
- SCIENTIFIC BARBARIAN No.5 from Jim Wampler kickstarts “Post-Apocalyptic Role Playing Megazine”
- D100 NPCs from Daniel James pitches “100 system-agnostic fantasy NPC’s to fill your campaigns with!”
- FE Metal Dice – Series 2 from Brother Ming Games offers “7 MORE unique metal dice with detailed enamel designs”
- Mermaid Legend RPG Dice Set from Focus Dice pitches “In the legend, pearls are the tears of mermaids, and now we have added colorful pearls to the dice, and the effect is amazing.”
- OUTER GODS DICE from High Roller offers “Bringing mythos into dice!”
- RPG Resources for Game Masters and Players (5e) from NIMA GAMES suggests “Amazing Print & Play content to improve your RPG session by giving it an amazing look!”
- Aaron Miller’s 5E Ready Reference Stat Cards from Aaron Miller suggests “Quick reference cards for your favorite 5E spells. Wild Shape, Find Familiar, Find Steed, and Conjure Animals and Elementals, and more.”
- Micro Dungeons VII & Shipwreckers Edition (5e D&D) from Ready to Play kickstarts “Micro Dungeon crawling Adventures where the players have to survive shipwreck challenges for the 5th edition of Dungeons & Dragons”
- Class specific foldable character sheet for Dnd 5e from TornioDuva – Lorenzo Andreozzi submits “Fund 3 months of work to create a class specific sheet for Dnd 5e with a foldable and compact design, customized for each subclass.”
- The Druid’s Curse One-Shot Adventure from Tina Glasneck kickstarts “A 5e adventure with new monsters, magic items, maps, awesome art, and lore. Plus, The Druid’s Oath prequel story. All for ONLY $1!”
- Polyhedral Dice Advent-ure Calendars 11-13 from Black Oak Workshop introduces “Satisfy your sense of adventure and love of dice with one of our fun Advent-ure Calendars! Three new themes await you!”
- THE BOOK OF CHARACTERS: 100+ ready to use NPCs for RPG!!! from Good Ideas… suggests “A collection of 100+ chars ready to be placed in a medieval village during a role-playing game campaign. suitable x D&d and all others”
- Tradefell from Rollforinitiative raises funds for “A complete 3D printable fantasy medieval village for all tabletop role playing games.”
- The Oracles of Aughra: A DnD book of gods and subclasses from Sarsen Games submits “A DnD book of gods with good, evil and chaotic alignments and battle-ready avatars for each, plus over 40 new subclasses.”
- Digital Map Bundle Three from Declan Gray submits “Battle maps for any fantasy TTRPG”
- Zeck’s Shoppe of Riches, A Collection of OSR Magic Items from Philip Reed proposes “This book of D100 magic items and D100 rumors was designed for use with many fantasy OSR roleplaying games.”
- Story Spark Cards: Magical Objects from Story Spark Cards kickstarts “Story prompt cards for Fantasy Authors, GMs and RPG players, Gamebook Authors, Storytellers, and lovers of precious things.”
- Blood and Saints from Mauro Indini is working on “A single player, print and play, horror experience. Choose your path and complete missions. Will you be a Saint or a Sinner?”
- Forgotten Ballad – A Sword & Song Adventure Game from Eric Bloat pitches “Minimalist Tabletop RPG – Inspired by retro video games – by Fellipe da Silva”
- MouseVale from The Mouseketeers is working on “Play as a lil’ guy in a big world! A TTRPG set in a world of fantasy from the perspective of it’s critters!”
Do you know of an RPG news source that we don’t? Let us know, or leave a comment below.