What a week! How’s your energy level? Mine is low, and I’ve not even had my house raided by Pinkerton agents.
First, we have the summary of RPG news summaries!
- Wizards of the Coast use Pinkerton agents.
- A new revision of Pathfinder is coming.
- Green Ronin will publish Valiant comic book’s official RPG.
- D&D has official ducks.
I wrote up the RPG Publisher Spotlight with High Level Games. Josh Heath is an impressive fellow.
It’s nearly the end of the month, and over on the Geek Native Patron, there’s a tie on the votes for two of the nominees. On the shortlist are;
Patrons can vote, and Patrons also will get a first edition Neurocity RPG thanks to Gavriel Quiroga.
Routinely Itemised doesn’t have a section for tech news that might affect RPG publishers, so let me put in here because Adobe, a PDF giant (and owner) that many creators use will now start deleting content from bins.
With that warning out of the way, it’s time to get on with the RPG news!
RPG news from Geek Native
- Andrew Ashby of the store We Geek Together broke (smashed) the Guinness World Record for largest D&D game.
- Well! There’s a new revision of Pathfinder on the way; in four parts.
- Green Ronin secures a deal with DMG Entertainment and Valiant Entertainment to publish the Valiant Adventures RPG.
- D&D released official cosplaying ducks. No, really, meet the new Hank the Ranger duck and Diana the Acrobat duck.
- Geek Native secured a look at more art from the crowdfunding 5e folk horror of the Wild Hunt.
- The Bundle of Holding as a big deal on Tiny Dungeon(s).
- There’s also a Bundle of Holding deal on the PvP (sorta) RPG of Fellowship.
Spotlight: High Level Games
RPG news from around the web
- It’s a bit RPG related; it’s undoubtedly the least welcome “get over it” move Hasbro could have made to the OGL drama and this week’s big news. What happened? Wizards of the Coast Raids YouTuber’s House to Magic: The Gathering Cards.
- In juxtaposition, RPG historian Ben Riggs wrote How to Make Dungeons & Dragons a $1 Billion Brand.
- Alphastream is doing a great job sticking with write-ups of the D&D Creator Summit and digging in deep. This week, Wizards Redefines One D&D.
- D&D movie related: Dungeons and Dragons Concept art from Paul Gerrard.
- It’s not all D&D, even if it connects back to the OGL drama, as Blizzard Watch’s Matthew Rossi notes Critical Role’s Darrington Press to release Daggerheart, a new TTRPG system.
- Frank Dudenhausen, Julia Knobloch, et al release the The Open Cthulhu Mythos SRD.
- Also, still using the old brand and from Kobold Press is Project Black Flag’s Monster playtest.
- Polygon also notes that D&D 5th edition will live on in Project Black Flag, and The Vineyard leads the way.
- Typically insightful and helpful, Morrus answers What Are the Changes in Pathfinder Remastered?
- TOS 2nd PRO edition v.20 Character Sheet is out and with two new sourcebooks.
RPG reviews and interviews from around the web
- Reviews from R’lyeh has a Quick-Start Saturday review of The Termintor and a review of an Ultimate Chaos Edition Black Sword Hack.
- PC Gamer reviews Imperium Maledictum and concludes The new Warhammer 40,000 tabletop RPG is like playing D&D in a horrifying galaxy where everything wants to kill you.
- Throat Punch Games pen a ring side report on The Dragonbane Quickstart.
- Jared wonders, ‘What Do I Know About Reviews?’ as he reviews Thay Land of the Red Wizards.
- MJR RPG reviews more of the Seeds of Terror with Scream of the Mandrake.
- Charles talks Blood and Doom with Ferruccio Argento.
- Aaron Boehm at Bloody Disgusting writes up ‘Teeth’ – Creators Preview Their Monster Hunting Role-Playing Game.
- Julia Roth at Geek Girls Authority has a Tavern Talk Thursday with Joseph Limbaugh.
RPG new releases
- No surprise to see the bestseller badge appear on the eagerly received Edge Studio publication of Twilight Imperium RPG Embers of the Imperium.
- Newt Newport and D101 Games core and concise SimpleQuest is out.
- Island of Bees has a great name and has created the crafting supplement for fantasy RPGs with Krillo’s Guide.
- Damian L.P. Dusk has released a new RPG with the Dice of Myth | Game Manual.
- Arion Games and Graham Bottley give us Domesday Campaign Book II.
- Cezar Capacle follows successful crowdfunding with the release of Derelict Delvers.
- Matthew Tapp has a Pay What You Want on the Runes of Thernn: A Guide to Ancient Rites.
- Silverhive Games have a playtest release of 3dX System.
- Not available on DTRPG (yet), but on Itch is Chamomile’s Guide to Everything.
- In physical pre-releases there’s Magpie Games’ Avatar Legends: The Roleplaying Game (Starter Set).
RPG bundle deals
- Save $63.54 (56%) with INfinium Game Studios Complete FlexTale Collection.
- Save $6.98 (39%) with Relentless Fiction’s Meet me at the Crossroads bundle.
- Save $4/35 (20%) with Adventure Ripples Adventures of Ethelon Volume 2 – Mountain Madness! .
- Save $1.00 (25%) with the Chaosium community content The “Tales” Birthday bundle.
RPG ideas, tips and discoveries
- Geek Native patrons are getting a free first edition of Neurocity.
- Geek Native wrote up the Chicago Tribune’s investigation into why there’s no Gygax statue in Lake Geneva and calls out The Satan Thing.
- The Alexandrian writes up Part 1 of A History of the Stat Block and Part 1.
- DAME Magazine and Brynn Tannehill opines Dungeons & Dragons Is the Game We Need Now.
You can see those Kickstarters and other crowdfunding campaigns that caught Geek Native’s attention over at Kickstarter watch. Here are some industry projects worth a mention;
- THE WHITE SHEETS from Number B Studio is working on “§QUEST GAME BOOK§ This 13-day project will conclude on the Full Moon. Very symbolic for this grim story…”
- Tragedy at Wood-witch Rise : An Adventure for DCC RPG from Nick Baran crowdfunds “Tragedy at Wood-witch Rise is a tense, 2-3 hour, stand-alone DCC RPG adventure packed into a short zine.”
- Crit/Fail Skill Cards for 5e from Two Starving Gnolls introduces “Critical Success and Critical Failure SKILL Cards for 5e!”
- Kiss Time Dice from Scatter Games introduces “A set of beautiful Sharpe Edged Resin Dice, aesthetically cast, polished, and painted, will win your wows of every RPG times”
- Primordial Behemoths: Rebuilding Terra from Pearlyn Sim crowdfunds “A solo role-playing game about rebuilding Terra, a region once destroyed and poisoned by humankind, and calming frenzied behemoths.”
- Beautiful Dungeon Mats from Ian Schofield nominates “Beautifully illustrated Dungeon Map Artwork for TTRPGs & that Roll to Move Game. Each map is 3ftx3ft & 300DPI, PDF file Rewards only.”
- Return to Domain of Blood – Virtual Boxed Set from Mario Barbati suggests “Maps and resources for seasoned vampire hunters!”
- Citizen’s Guide to Aeopolis 5E from Dev Waslusky proposes “Join the party in a cosmopolitan metropolis in its Golden Age for 5e!”
- March of the Bone King from SideQuest20 raises funds for “An RPG skeleton token set to enhance your gameplay.”
- Revolutionize Your Hobby: Hobby Grid Modular Workspace from MTech Cave raises funds for “Elevate your Painting, TCGs, Brick-Building, Model-Making & Tinkering with Versatile Magnetic Modules for Unmatched Organization”
- What Is Light Without Dark RPG from Craig Campbell nominates “A supplement for the Ennie-nominated Good Strong Hands RPG. Core book available, too!”
- Handy Hubs 2: more versatile maps for use with any TTRPG! from DeepDark Designs Ltd raises funds for “More stunning digital, VTT, and print-&-play floorplans for use with D&D, Pathfinder, or any other fantasy tabletop roleplaying game!”
- WaterSpire from Christopher Abbey suggests “Mardi-Gras Adventure: 3D printable Buildings and Miniatures for TTRPG games and Figurines/Display”
- Wyrmlings RPG – A wholesome, all-ages fantasy TTRPG from Lone Colossus Games crowdfunds “A low-prep TTRPG with the feel of shows like Steven Universe and My Little Pony about young dragons going on adventures with friends.”
- Monsters of the Dungeon for 5th Edition and other RPGs from Cawood Publishing introduces “Brave the Darkness! 100 new monsters for 5E, PF2, and much more!”
- Ars Mechanica – Skies of Heavy Shadows – 5 E supplement from Gearwheel Grimoires submits “Embrace the Skies of Heavy Shadows with your party in this amazing steampunk D&D supplement for any fan of TTRPG like DnD and else!”
- Adventure College Student Handbook – D&D 5e compatible from Fiona Shade Stories is working on “An illustrated magicpunk world with races, backgrounds, equipment, and more! PDF & Paperback!”
- S.P.O.F. Protect the Familiars! Shop, Pets & Roll Tables from TGrejczik pitches “Charity shop with goods, loot tables, and adoptable pets for your TTRPG 5e-Compatible”
- Madinat Al’Asrar — The City of Portals from Brian C proposes “A Dungeons & Dragons 5E and OSE campaign set in an extremely detailed city filled with shops, encounters and portals to mystery.”
Do you know of an RPG news source that we don’t? Let us know, or leave a comment below.