This week’s real-life news has been talking about nuclear fusion, chatbots that pass the Turning test, the ethical use of AI art and the world’s richest man shutting down free speech online.
Sound like we’re heading to a sci-fi future? Free League’s Blade Runner tabletop RPG is out. Good timing.
News sparks? Okay, here goes!
- Blade Runner, as noted.
- Roll20, DMsGuild and Paizo strike different deals.
- Monte Cook Games are giving people $10.
- Kickstarter is slow, but there are loads of bundle deals.
- The LEGO Ideas D&D competition has been delayed.
Geek Native’s experiment at Mastodon is going okay (thank goodness for the edit button), and you can find the challenger social network in the blog’s social roll call now.
How do you RPG over the holiday season? Game as usual or struggle as people’s routines break-up? Perhaps you do more one-shots than usual? That’s the route I’m on, this year at least.
Now, the RPG news!
Competition: Roll vs Evil | Roll20Con tee
RPG news from Geek Native
- On Roll20, it’s now possible to sell third-party and community content appropriate D&D creations and soon Pathfinder and Starfinder.
- Geek Native reviewed the RPG based on Ben Aaronovitch’s Rivers of London.
- Pugsteady and Onyx Path announced the second edition of good dog RPG Pugmire.
- Modiphius released the 9th free Star Trek Adventures freebie with Mysteries.
- Richard Kelly published the RPG What If We Kissed….
- There’s RIFTS action in the Bundle of Holding as a shattered Earth faces up to dimensions of foes with the core mega bundle and Land and Sea.
- Humble goes beyond the Great Rift with a Warhammer 40K Wrath & Glory bundle.
Spotlight: Handiwork Games
RPG news from around the web
- GamesRader covers the story that IDW conjures Saturday morning memories new Dungeons & Dragons series.
- Monte Cook Games are giving you a $10 Holiday gift.
- Paizo introduce the Starfinder team.
- LEGO and Wizards of the Coast have delayed the Dungeons & Dragons Ideas winner reveal.
- EN World is asking readers to Nominate their favourite TTRPG podcasts of 2022.
- Mollie Russell at Wargamer notes that MTG and Pathfinder nominated for tabletop Gayming Awards.
Blade Runner RPG roundup
- Polygon’s Samantha Nelson opines Blade Runner TTRPG nails Ridley Scott’s vision, adds pitch-perfect investigative mechanics.
- J.R. Zambrano at Bell of Lost Souls says The ‘Blade Runner’ RPG Launches, Inviting You To The Neon-Soaked Streets Of LA, Ca. 2037.
- At Forbes, Rob Wieland notes It’s A Very Blade Runner Christmas.
- The Blade Runner RPG Core Rulebook is available in PDF at DriveThruRPG, Amazon, on pre-order at Noble Knight and from Free League Publishing.
- DriveThruRPG also has the Blade Runner Map Pack and Starter Set.
- Amazon also has the Blade Runner dice set.
RPG reviews and interviews from around the web
- Awful Good Games shares a Dungeons & Delvers 2nd Edition Playtest and a Deep Dive.
- On RPG.net, ShyberKryst reviews Into the Odd Remastered, while Cedric Chin investigates Loke Battle Mats’ Box of Adventure / Coast of Dread and Paul Mackintosh writes up Rivers of London.
- Nerds on Earth review Lost Omens: Impossible Lands.
- Grognardia offers a retrospective into Dungeons & Dragons Companion.
- The Other Side reviews Hyperborea Player’s Manual.
- Reviews from R’lyeh looks at the solo Crowthulhu for Be Like a Crow, the Buffy The Vampire Slayer RPG, and A Yuletide Snowball Massacre.
- Tales of the Grotesque and Dungeonesque reviews Cryptworld.
- CBR writes up Roll for Shoes Is the Perfect TTRPG for Holiday Parties.
- GamesRader gives 4/5 stars to Free League’s Vaesen calling it unusual and ecovative.
- CGM reviews Shadow of the Dragon Queen.
- Julia Roth Tavern Talks to Jake Ynzunza.
RPG new releases
- Gila has released Spencer Campbell’s solo RPG RUNE.
- Chaosium publish the standalone RPG set in the 7th Sea with the Khitai Core Rulebook.
- Daylight Publications unleashes the 5e microsetting Spellpunk: Solar & Sunder.
- FableTop Productions has horrors unseen and relentless beasts in The Dread of Night.
- Evil Genius Games release their 5e meets d20 Modern core rules with Everyday Heroes and The Core adventure setting.
RPG bundle deals
- Save $39.93 (67%) with the Chaosium community content Miskatonic Repository Christmas 2022 Collection bundle.
- Save $26.68 (50%) with the DMsGuild’s Ravenloft Xmas Megabundle.
- Save $25.36 (49%) with Rosethrone’s Everything Bundle 22.
- Save $22.27 (44%) with Drowning Moon Studios’ Drowning Moon Studios Cozy Winter Gaming bundle.
- Save $17.48 (43%) with Ephiroll Productions’ Post-apocalyptic Escapades PDF & print bundle.
- Save $14.98 (21%) with Evil Genius Games’ Evil bundle.
- Save $13.31 (50%) with the DMsGuild’s 12 Days of Santa bundle.
- Save $7.91 (51%) with the DMsGuild’s The 2022 Adventures Collection bundle.
- Save $5.50 (25%) with Talion Games’ The Human Pantheon bundle.
- Save $5.00 (13%) with tolleSpiele Games’ Thrilling Adventures! Collection (Softcover) bundle.
RPG ideas, tips and discoveries
- Ben and the Genre Police talk about adventure design in Pacemaker.
- Ananthia Campaign Guide author Alex Brandon wrote The (Old-School) People v. Modern D&D.
- Keith Stuart at The Guardian asked ‘Why can’t anyone make a decision?’ My first time as a D&D Dungeon Master.
- On d20 Radio, Egg writes up Tabletop RPG & Mattel.
- Lori Caskey-Sigety, at Gnome Stew, shares Shiny Object Gamer: Role-playing from a Neurodivergent Perspective.
- Polygon’s Charlie Hall compiles The best tabletop RPGs we played in 2022.
- While ScreenRant investigates the D&D: 10 Worst Rules, According To Reddit.
You can see those Kickstarters and other crowdfunding campaigns that caught Geek Native’s attention over at Kickstarter watch. Here are some industry projects worth a mention;
- Witches of the Sea: A 5E Compendium of Seafaring and Magic from Marco Antonio Piana offers “Your mystic guide to the eldritch divine magic of the Big Blue and its treasures. Plus new deities, spells, items, and monsters”
- Heraldry & Graphic Pack – Crests, Weapons, Armor, Jewelry+ from Douglas Gallagher introduces “1800+ images. 100 unique fantasy heraldry designs … each placed on dozens of RPG objects. Great for storytellers, DMs and players.”
- Dragons, Kings & Magical Things: A D&D 5E Campaign from DragonReach pitches “Exploring the corrupt land of Guilptin, a small group of adventurers realize their purpose, to be the hero’s or villains to this story.”
- An Occurrence at Howling Crater Compatible for DCC, MCC & 5E from Levi Combs suggests “Available for Dungeon Crawl Classics, Mutant Crawl Classics & 5E! Dare your players explore the terrifying secrets at Howling Crater?”
- Fae of the Shimmering Glades – MiniEvo November Release STL from Miniature_Evolution.STL kickstarts “A 3D-printable miniature for all scales from DnD gamers 28/32mm to painters 75mm. Including supports, the model in parts and NSFW.”
- $1 One Shot – The Case of Norntolk from One Dollar One Shots introduces “A new adventure, NPC, monster, battle map, and more for just $1.”
- The Penny Dreadfuls: Volume 1 | D&D 5e Adventure Compilation from Luna Publishing nominates “A physical printing of all five Penny Dreadful adventure bundles from Luna Publishing. All compatible with D&D 5e!”
Do you know of an RPG news source that I don’t? Let me know, or leave a comment below.