It’s RPG news time, and Edinburgh is a weird place this week.
Further down this collection, in the bundle discovery section, you’ll find the Edinburgh Files, but that’s not the weird I mean.
The Queen died and did so in Scotland, triggering Project Unicorn. Her body will be moved to the Scottish capital before going to London. Imagine the security implications of such a high-profile gathering of world leaders at a predictable timetable and location.
More on that later, but for now, here are the RPG news highlight highlights;
- Wizards of the Coast say sorry for their racist handling of the Hadozee
- A Monty Python RPG is coming
- Paizo co-founder Lisa Stevens is retiring
- Wizards of the Coast have filed an injunction against NuTSR
The blog should now be running faster after a week-plus battle with speed and gremlins. Shoutout to the Jetpack crew, MailPoet and hosts Pagely.
I’m still going to Tabletop Gaming Live, a growing RPG and board game expo from Tabletop Gaming Magazine and Warners Group Publications. Due to rail strikes, I was going to struggle through on coach, but now with the death of the Queen, even the roads are chaos. The striking train drivers are changing their minds. If you are (trying to) go, feel free to reach out over Discord.
Now, let’s dive in with all that tabletop news;
Patron: Town Hall
RPG news from Geek Native
- Wot? How silly! There is (despite pretending otherwise) an official Monty Python RPG on the way.
- Wizards of the Coast admit they screwed up big time, apologise for and errata the Spelljammer Hadozee.
- It’s sad news as Scott Myer’s Workhorse RPG Studio closes, but some titles are being transferred to new publishers, such as Eyes Beyond the Torchlight.
- Pelgrane Press release their GUMSHOE-powered fantasy Swords of the Serpentine.
- D&D and RockLove team up for cute but not cheap jewellery.
- Backwater Games have published a Pay What You Want Backwater SRD and Quickstart.
- Firelock Games releases a free quickstart of their World War War Stories RPG.
- Fat Dragon Games have shared their 17-year-old campaign setting with the free to download Vallis Mortis Reference Guide.
- At the Bundle of Holding, Palladium Books has a deal on Heroes Unlimited.
Spotlight: Battleaxes and Brimstone
RPG news from around the web
- Christian Hoffer writes up that Paizo CEO and Co-Owner Lisa Stevens Announces Retirement.
- Paizo has extended their Pathfinder Strength of Thousands bundle.
- EN World writes up that Wizards of the Coast Requests Injunction Against NuTSR.
- ICv2 notes that Atlas Games will release a retail version of the 5th edition of Ars Magica.
- Bell of Lost Souls notes the release of The ‘Fallout’ RPG Starter Set.
- Cubicle 7 shares a preview of Age of Sigmar Soulbound: Ulfenkarn.
- Monte Cook Games announce The Glimmering Valley for Numenera.
- R. Talsorian Games updates The Witcher RPG with Wagons and Travel and Cyberpunk RED with bonus content.
- HerCampus’ Alex Warrender shares How Dungeons & Dragons became the highlight of my summer.
- Toyworld Magazine shares their profile of RPG and boardgame publisher Asmodee.
RPG reviews and interviews from around the web
- Reviews from R’leyh and a look at The Book of Fallen Gods, Warhammer Fantasy Role Play IV
- Jared Rascher shares first impressions of Fables: The Lost constellation and a review of In The Lair of the Night Thing.
- The TTRPG Factor takes a look at the He-Man-inspired Lords of Eternity.
- Rob Wieland reviews the Tournament of Pigs.
- Throat Punch Games writes up Spelljammer: Adventures in Space.
- Dicebreaker’s Alex Meehan shares that Call of Cthulhu comes to Bridgerton in a new Regency RPG sourcebook.
- OnTableTop takes a look at Osprey’s Gran Meccanismo.
- There are two reviews for Adventures in Rokugan at Strange Assembly; cleverly, there’s one from new players and one from classic L5R players.
- The Other Side reviews Swords of Cthulhu.
- At Geek Girl Authority, the Tavern Talk Thursday feature is with David Nett.
- At EN World, Egg talks to Matthew J. Hanson of Sneak Attack Press about the Graveyard of the Gods.
- At Kobold Press, we get an interview with Celeste Conowitch and Wolfgang Baur.
RPG new releases
- Crowbar Creative releases the Rackham Vale: Paintbox Edition.
- Dragon Turtle Games push through to deliver the PDF edition of Carbon 2185 | Terminal Overdrive
- Slowquest releases the cute and 5e adventure module in which you’re freshly spawned Goblings.
- Atlas Games shares the Ars Magica 3e version of The Maleficium.
- Sebastian Baar publishes an RPG about beating the odds and living to tell about it with Lore.
RPG bundle deals
- Save $79.89 (80%) with Fat Goblin games’ 5th Edition Horror 2022 bundle
- Save $45.85 (70%) with Skirmisher Publishing’s 5e megabundle.
- Save $30 (43%) with Leybourne Publishing’s Sapience RPG print bundle and $5.00 (20%) PDF bundle.
- Save $8.05 (38%) on the DMsGuild’s Spelljammer and Beyond bundle.
- Save $4.97 (20%) on Onyx Path Publishing’s World of Darkness Ghost Hunters bundle.
- Save $4.50 (50%) with Red Ink Caravan’s Velea Player Subclasses bundle.
- Save $2.40 (35%) with the Chaosium Community Content bundle The Edinburgh Files: Volume 1.
RPG ideas, tips and discoveries
- Charles Dunwood’s Year Zero Worldbuilding continues with The One Ring Spider Lore.
- At d20Radio, Egg Embry writes THINGS THAT GO SQUEAK IN THE NIGHT: System Discussion & Combining Game Mechanics.
- At ScreenRant, Coleman Gailloerto notes What Sets Planescape Apart From Other Dungeons & Dragons Settings.
- Bruce Cordell writes up Break on Through to Another Plane.
- Kobold Press’ Benjamin Eastman gives us Monstrous Crits: One Better, part 1.
- RoleplayingTip’s serve up 1d6 Ways To Create Urgency In Encounters.
- Mindstorm shares thoughts on Stealth Turns.
- CBR’s Jacob Rosenberg sums up the 10 Biggest Changes In The One D&D Playtest.
- Gizmodo’s Linda Codega curates 16 Awesome Tabletop Role-Playing Game Soundtracks.
You can see those Kickstarters and other crowdfunding campaigns that caught Geek Native’s attention over at Kickstarter watch. Here are some industry projects worth a mention;
- Poetry at the Lazy Lounge from Edd0 pitches a Troika! adventure, a ‘just-missed Zine Quest zine’ Cross Troika city to a Poetry Reading & more…
- GENS VETUS: A Lovecraftian Adventure (5E Compatible) from OLD LORE DISPENSED pitches a D&D 5E TTRPG survival horror adventure inspired by H.P. Lovecraft’s “The Very Old Folk”!
- Into the Feywilds: The Heart of the Queen (D&D 5e Adventure) from Ariyana Farahjasteh pitches a level 1-10 dark fantasy adventure module written for the World’s Greatest Roleplaying Game.
- Wood & Labyrinth: A DUNGEON DELVE Adventure Duo from R. Nelson Bailey pitches fantasy RPG modules for 1st or 2nd Ed AD&D, B/X-BECMI D&D, OSRIC, DCC, Pathfinder, Labyrinth Lord, Swords & Wizardry, or others OSRs.
- The Neptaverse from Just Jace pitches Source and Adventure books for everyone’s favorite RPG
- Western Tails from Leo Bradley pitches an Anthropomorphic Old West Tabletop RPG
- Cats & Cantrips – The Deck of Many Things from Leah Andersen pitches a cute and whimsical take on one of Dungeons & Dragons most iconic magical items.
- A Selection of Slimes, Odd Oozes for RPGs by Philip Reed from Philip Reed pitches an OSR collection of eleven slimes, each suitable for inflicting pain and suffering on the adventurers.
- Treasures from the Quay: The Pocket Fantasy Treasury from Windmill Slam Games pitches a way to create unforgettable treasures for your RPG in minutes. A great addition to any GM’s toolbox for just 1$
- Bergen Chrypt from Christian Eichhorn pitches a Hexcrawl in the Most Haunted Mountain Range of Mörk Borg
- First Foray: New Session Quick-Adventures for D&D 5e – $1 from Luna Publishing pitches 5 Level One mini-adventures and other related content for D&D (Dungeons and Dragons) 5th edition.
- The Multiversal Garden from Sealight Studios pitches a Guide of Hermetic Herbology
- Dead Belt – A Tabletop RPG for Space Cowboys from A Couple of Drakes pitches joining the skilful and desperate scavengers picking over the remains of junked starships in hopes of a juicy payday.
- Shining Forest from Siren Miniatures pitches 5e adventure (1-3 lvl) based in fairytale setting.
- Wastes of Chaos: Enter the 5E Borderlands from Kobold Press pitches Wield chaos magic, battle the Black Goat cult, and seize ancient treasure! New races, spells, and monsters for every 5th Edition game.
- Nocturne by Night from Mobius Worlds Publishing pitches A supplement for Blood and Justice, using the Prowlers and Paragon system.
- Micro Dungeons: Anniversary Edition from Guillermo Buenfil pitches The complete collection of Micro Dungeons on one single printed book! for 5e D&D (the 5th edition Dungeons and Dragons TTRPG)
- Realms of Nechrubel: Soldiers of the Black Disc from Sasha “TK” De’ath pitches A book of fearsome factions and feats, compatible with MÖRK BORG and Forbidden Psalm.
- BX Advanced Bestiary Vol. 1 from Todd pitches An expanded bestiary for Old School Essentials and similar role-playing games.
- Spirit of the Forest from BigMiniSculpting pitches 3D Printable STL Files, Terrain for Tabletop, Role Playing Games, Wargames and RPG
- RE:EMERGENCE from Patchwerkgames pitches An ongoing Sci-Fi TTRPG meant for players of all experience levels new and returning to Role Playing
- Historica Arcanum: Empires of the Silk Road (5E+) from Metis Media pitches 5th Edition’s Alternate History Saga returns: Two Massive Sourcebooks, Profession System, Overhauled Land Travel and Plague Mechanics!
- Riddlehouse Vol. 2 (5E) (Canceled) from Anthony Qualkinbush pitches A collection of twisted adventures, monsters, magic, and more for your favorite roleplaying game.
- Joining the Giants (5e) from The Monster Directive pitches A 5e supplement empowering your players to roam the land, sea and air as giants!
- Patterns in the Void: A module for the Mothership RPG from Arcanum Game Studio pitches A zine-sized Module for the Mothership Sci-Fi Horror RPG. Explore secrets beyond the veil of death! ZineQuest 2022
- Kelios: the prophecy RPG from Kelios: the prophecy pitches The fantasy tabletop RPG with a simple and innovative gameplay and an original setting compatible with any fantasy RPG including DnD 5e
- D’ICY MONSTERS! Food-Safe Ice Dice for Dungeons & Drinking from The BoardGame Zone pitches At last, a full set of companions for your campaign and/or your favourite tipple
- Knights of the Crystal Blade (5e) from Anders “The Night Owl” Jordahl pitches An RPG book with perilous adventures, deadly romance, courtly intrigue, epic battles and social mayhem for DnD 5th edition
- “Tales From Apocrypha” – Wave 1: Intro to Apocrypha from shane brockway pitches The first wave in a series of miniatures based on the characters and creatures from the anthology podcast “Tales from Apocrypha”.
- Secrets of the Sun King from Treasure Troves Found pitches 5e compatible RPG Game Kit & Adventure with a working Sun King laser statue, mirrors & puzzles, role-play props, & more.
- The Werewolves of London, a Gothic Horror D&D 5e Adventure from Matthew David pitches The Werewolves of London brings Gothic Horror to your next Dungeons & Dragons adventure. Intended for players Levels 1-5.
- Game Space: Turn every surface into a playing area from BG Fans pitches Wooden Elevated Platform for Board, Card, & RPG’s games. Soundproof playmat / magnetic borders with card slots. Outdoor & Indoor use
- Tomes of Magic – a Dice Tower STL from Miniature_Evolution.STL pitches Print your own Tomes of Magic Dice Tower / Dice Roller – optimized for rolling 1 or 2 dice like in most tabletop roleplaying games.
- A Heroes’ Kingdom: A Kingdom Building Expansion for 5E D&D from Dead Channel Studios pitches Create a Kingdom, build your settlement, and defend it in epic sieges in this 5E D&D Expansion.
If there’s a source or news you think is worth monitoring, please get in touch or leave a comment below.