Crunchyroll is the world’s most popular anime brand, and its streaming platform has more than 1,000 titles. It’s a big player. It’s big enough to go out and commission anime titles that they think fans will like.
The Crunchyroll Originals collection is exactly that. Eight titles from fantasy, sci-fi to romance and historical fiction that they’ve funded and in some cases contributed to through Crunchyroll Studios. They’ve worked with publishers like Kodansha and animation studios like MAPPA for the others.
Crunchyroll Originals 2020 titles
- “In/Spectre” – In this Crunchyroll Original, supernatural romance mixes with an enthralling, fantastical mystery, as a duo sets out to solve a series of dark incidents plaguing their world. Airing now on Crunchyroll.
- “Tower of God” – A Crunchyroll and WEBTOON Production, based on the comic series “Tower of God” created by SIU and published by WEBTOON. Tower of God is a dark fantasy action series centres on the journey of a young man as he battles his way through the mysterious Tower, building friendships, discovering the rules that govern this Tower, and facing unimaginable terrors, as he strives to find the only friend he’s ever known. Animation produced by TELECOM ANIMATION FILM. Production Management provided by SOLA ENTERTAINMENT. Coming to Crunchyroll spring 2020.
- “Onyx Equinox” – In this Crunchyroll Studios Production created by Sofia Alexander, a young Aztec boy is saved from death by the gods and chosen to act as ‘humanity’s champion,’ forced to discard his apathy toward his fellow man and prove humanity’s potential in a fight that spans across fantastical-yet-authentic Mesoamerican cultures. Premieres summer 2020 on Crunchyroll.
- “The God of High School” – A Crunchyroll Original, based on the comic series “The God of High School” created by Yongje Park and published by WEBTOON, this action-packed series follows a high schooler and his friends as they compete in an epic tournament, borrowing power directly from the gods and uncovering a mysterious organization along the way… With the promise of their heart’s deepest desires, motivating their tournament victory. Animation produced by MAPPA. Production Management provided by SOLA ENTERTAINMENT.
- “Noblesse” – A Crunchyroll and WEBTOON Production, based on the comic series “Noblesse” from Jeho Son and Kwangsu Lee and published by WEBTOON, this fantasy follows a powerful vampire noble who is thrown into modern civilization after 820 years of slumber. Dangerous adventures with his new friends await as they combat a secret organization and uncover his past. Animation produced by Production I.G.
- “Meiji Gekken: Sword & Gun (Working title)” – Japan, 1870. We follow an ensemble of characters – a former samurai, a yakuza bodyguard, a devious spy and a geisha assassin – as they try to find their place in the rapidly evolving Meiji-era while escaping the sins of their pasts…Inspired by historical events. A Crunchyroll Studios Production.
- “FreakAngels” – After civilization comes to a sudden and crashing end, twelve 23-year-old psychics living in the rubble of London must check their wild impulses and discover their better angels to rebuild society. A Crunchyroll Studios Production based on the graphic novels by Warren Ellis & Paul Duffield.
- “High Guardian Spice” – In this Crunchyroll Studios production created by Raye Rodriguez, four fierce girls train to become great heroes at High Guardian Academy, where they form allegiances, uncover betrayals, and discover their true identities, while preparing to protect the world from an ominous unknown threat.
Crunchyroll has made or co-produced anime before, and since 2015 it now has more than 60 titles in its library. The Rising of the Shield Hero, in particular, has done well recently with fans and even gets a prize at the 2020 Anime Awards.
Joanne Waage, General Manager of Crunchyroll, told press;
“Since our launch in 2006, Crunchyroll has been at the forefront of anime fandom and a driving force in the popularizing of this beloved genre worldwide,”
In keeping with this tradition, we are incredibly excited to announce our first slate of Crunchyroll Originals. These stories range from the traditional to the innovative, blending eastern and western ideas within the spectrum of anime. We hope this content will not only delight our current fans but also create a pathway for new fans to fall in love with this amazing art form.”
What do you think? Measured observations are welcome and you can leave them in the comment section below.