It’s Friday again, dark and stormy here in Scotland again, and it’s been a busy week AGAIN! Fear not – it’s also the RPG news summary round-up of Routinely Itemised.
The RPG news summary of summaries we have;
- It’s Black Friday, and the best RPG deal I can find is for 5e players and 86% off in the Dice Average RPG Super Cyber Sale.
- Mongoose wants to go employee-owned.
- Wizards of the Coast commit to supporting third-party content for D&D.
- We look at why the city has turned against Hasbro.
I’m trying to ignore the sportswashing sportsball event, but it keeps bashing its way onto my radar. I think the tabletop RPG community, despite our battles, compares favourably. I can’t imagine any convention in which we’d think it was worth the death of 6,500 workers to host.
Another area in which the RPG community impresses is with charity, and there’s usually a fundraising deal somewhere. The Bundle of Holding has had several each and every week.
More? There’s how the RPG community organises on social media. You might not agree with everything, and that’s okay, but you know where to go and where you’ll be looked after.
As the year-end sneaks closer, I think about conventions, concede the Geek Native calendar is way out of date and wrestle with my vacation allowance to work out how many trips I can squeeze into 2023. Which RPG conventions should I, at least, hurry into the calendar?
Now, the RPG news!
RPG news from Geek Native
- Ben Nielson at Bandit Camp helmed the RPG Publisher Spotlight for us this month with some very generous help for people interested in RPG Publishing.
- All royalties are going to Extra Life as three DMsGuild designers offer Dungeons IN Dragons.
- Geek Native has A sneak peek inside Villainous Champions of the Shadow Keep for 5E.
- Lightspress Media and Berin Kinsman have released a free DoubleZero Primer.
- Celebrating Thanksgiving in the USA is a good deal as The Bundle of Holding releases the Cornucopia 2022.
Spotlight: Bandit Camp
RPG news from around the web
- 21-year-old Mongoose Publishing has released their State of the Mongoose 2022, in which they cover projects and announce plans to become an employee-owned company.
- GeekWire confirms that Wizards of the Coast will continue supporting third-party content for D&D.
- Wondering why the share dealers are anti-Hasbro right now? Barrons explains Hasbro Won Big With a Role-Playing Game. Is It Now Diluting the Magic?
- Goodman Games looks back at Nine Years of Game Yearbooks.
- CBR highlights that Dungeons & Dragons Fans Debate Racial Backgrounds in Monsters of the Multiverse.
- Autostraddle’s Summer Tao notes Why Queers Should Play Tabletop Roleplaying Games.
- Marvel gives the Multiverse Role-Playing Game Rolls Out New 1.3 Game Update.
RPG reviews and interviews from around the web
- Reviews from R’lyeh looks at Space: 1889’s The Strange Land, and then Bize-Sized Gaming’s Den of Assassins
- Charles Dunwoody reviewed M-Space’s Junkyard Blues.
- Jared Rascher shares first impressions of the 5e From Whom the Stars Toll.
- The Benign Brown Beast reviews Le Monastère de Saint Gastronomie.
- Rob Wieland reviews Cyberpunk RED’s Tales of the Red.
- Grognardia’s James shared a retrospective on Tekumel.
- Sablemage reviews Five Parsecs From Home, 3rd Edition.
- Seed of Worlds reviews Tsundoku.
- Crossplanes looks at the Shadowdark RPG quickstart.
- Forrest for the Trees reviews Planet X Games’ Rayguns & Robuts.
- TechRaptor reviews Transformers: The Roleplaying Game.
- MJR RPG reviews Gateways to Terror.
- Chase at Dicebreaker interviews Elle Dwight and notes Role’s co-founder isn’t worried about D&D’s plans for the online RPG space.
RPG new releases
- Pinnacle Entertainment has released the long-awaited and already strongly reviewed SWADE Fantasy Companion.
- Osprey Publishing and Nathan Russel released a hardboiled mystery setting with Hard City.
- Andrews McMeel Publishing has released a digital version of the ZWEIHANDER Fantasy Horror RPG: Starter Kit.
RPG bundle deals
- Save $61.65 (86%) with the DMsGuild’s Dice Average RPG Super Cyber Sale bundle.
- Save $31.58 (91%) with Skirmisher Publishing’s Cyber Week Mega bundle.
- Save $9.49 (42%) with Point of Insanity Game Studio’s Strange Things Afoot bundle.
- Save $3.99 (25%) with Minotaur Games’ bundle.
- Save $3.50 (64%) with Rosethrone Publishing’s Hopefinder Apocalypse bundle.
RPG ideas, tips and discoveries
- Do you know about D&D? The Op have released Trival Pursuit: D&D Ultimate Edition. [Christmas gift klaxon]
- At ScreenRant, Scott Baird compared D&D & Pathfinder: The Biggest Gameplay Differences and then How Dragonlance Is Different From The Forgotten Realms.
- Meanwhile, at GameRant, Alex Hopley helps with One D&D’s New Class System Explained.
- Mind Weave goes Beyond Fun: Campaign Longevity.
- Lewis Pulsipher writes up Worlds of Design: Building a Structural Framework and Golden RUles for RPGs.
You can see those Kickstarters and other crowdfunding campaigns that caught Geek Native’s attention over at Kickstarter watch. Here are some industry projects worth a mention;
- Coffee Dice:polyhedral dice set with coffee beans inside from Focus Dice introduces “Coffee is ingeniously integrated with dice to perk up the game”
- Radio Waves: A Micro-RPG from The Department of Unusual Observations submits “A TTRPG about mysterious radio waves and telling stories in the dark.”
- Operation S.A.N.T.A. – A “festive” roleplay game. from CM Lowry proposes “A tabletop roleplay game about saving Christmas. Or murdering aliens. Or fleeing Santa. Or rescuing elves. Or fighting penguins…”
- RPG World Builder Imagery from Joy Games Interactive crowdfunds “Easily set up new worlds for your heroes next adventure! 200+PNG locations split in categories to build RPG fantasy-medieval worlds”
- Nuns with Laserguns 2 : The Nunnening! STL sets & Miniatures from Troublemaker Games proposes “The Nuns with Laserguns are back! And this time, nun can stop them! Printable models.”
- Beyond the Flesh from Brainwaste Corp. crowdfunds “90s edginess without the clunkiness: one RPG book, two systems, three settings.”
- Dungeon Pages from Jason Greeno is working on “Dungeon Pages is a PNP only, solo tactical, roll & write game of dungeon delving and monster battling. Just $4.”
- Date Night Dungeons: Wight Wedding from Tom and Catherine Thrush is working on “Our second romance RPG module designed for a couple to play together. This time we’re going Norse!”
- 1000+ RPG MAGICAL ITEMS ILLUSTRATIONS! from Laurent.L nominates “High-quality illustrations for your magic items and artifacts! Monster Eggs, Potions, Magic books, Rings, Necklace, Wands, Armors…”
- URWizards Elemental Dice Collection from URWizards submits “A Kickstarter-Exclusive Collection of the 4 Elements. Launching November 18th at 5 PM EST.”
- Deadchurch Townsfolk from Tom Pedley introduces “A set of highly-detailed 28mm miniatures, sculpted by Andrew May, produced in high quality resin.”
- Brewmasters Madness from Tennyson raises funds for “Bringing an Occupation and Entire rework for drinking in D&D with perks, opportunities and more!”
- World Canvas from Triskel-Fox Studios introduces “A world building TTRPG with infinite potential.”
- Flat Dungeon Fantasy : OpenLOCK Edition from Flame of Udun Studio nominates “3D printable tabletop gaming tile system, compatible with openLOCK. For tabletop games, board games and wargames.”
- TerrainCrate 3: Bring The Background To The Foreground from Mantic Games offers “Build the immersive gaming table of your dreams! Packed with incredible, easy-to-build and modular flora, scatter terrain and more!”
- Heroes Of Mythic Americas from Mythicos Minis suggests “An exciting 5e RPG supplement that heroically represents pre-Columbian American cultures and mythologies.”
- 450 RPG Encounter Maps: Real Life Encounters Drone Imaging from Matthew New proposes “Battle maps made from up to 48 megapixel photography in plain, hex and grid”
- Dark Abyss: An Underwater Thriller from Tab Creations LLC offers “Dark Abyss is an underwater thriller scenario for the tabletop RPG Shadows Over Sol.”
- Wizard’s Crystal Dice Ⅱ from Wizard pitches “★★★ Brand new materials and crafts, hexahedral-crystal-shaped dice for RPG games made with natural stone ★★★”
- Tiny in the Tower: Cosy Fantasy Roleplaying from Rebellion Unplugged raises funds for “A stand-alone fantasy RPG presented as a pull-apart magazine, giving you everything you need to get right to the adventure!”
- Micro Dungeons Winter Edition 2022 from Guillermo Buenfil submits “Micro Dungeon Crawling adventures with Winter/Christmas themes for 5e D&D (5th edition Dungeons and Dragons TTRPG)”
- Witch’s Brew – Dice collection from Lindorm Dice kickstarts “Brew your own fate and fortune with these wicked rpg dice sets with designs inspired by witch brew ingredients!”
- The Hag’s Lair: A Complete RPG Encounter from Ella’s Arcanum pitches “A complete RPG encounter including Tabletop Miniatures and Scatter Terrain, an encounter module, 4K battlemap and more!”
- Solar Dice Set | A Manner Of Touching Solar System from Patrick Lau nominates “Inspired by Solar System, 100% handcrafted artisan dice set with aesthetic inclusions for RPG tabletop gamers.”
- The Baroness Allit Saga: a DnD campaign. Pay what you want from AdventureTinker proposes “Five interconnected short adventures that explore colonialism in the fantastic world of Gathium and will surely transport you there.”
- Bizarre Citizens and Foes, for Use With Fantasy RPGs from Philip Reed submits “Two tiny booklets, each a d66 collection of NPC concepts to drop into your OSR fantasy roleplaying game. Created by Philip Reed.”
- RPG Oracle Deck: Deck for game masters to enhance 5e from Leader Games offers “The deck is compatible with D&D 5e, Pathfinder and other RPG games.”
Do you know of an RPG news source that I don’t? Let me know, or leave a comment below.