It’s July and another dose of RPG news in the summary form of many bullet points! Pew pew.
- Roll20 and DMsGuild forge an alliance.
- Wizards of the Coast employees critique Hasbro’s human rights record.
- Outland announces When the Wolf Comes.
- Rowan, Rook and Decard announce Hollows.
- Zine Quest moves back to February and Kickstarter promises it won’t move again
- Cyberpunk RED TTRPG gets a new Project Lead.
The start of the month also means that Geek Native’s patrons can vote in the next RPG Publisher Spotlight.
As usual, there are five candidates for next month, and they are;
Who won the spotlight for August? After a dice-breaking tie, that title goes to Long Shadows Press.
Patreons: Town Hall
RPG news from Geek Native
- Roll20 and the DMsGuild (but not DriveThruRPG) struck a marketplace alliance.
- Later on, after a Code of Conduct update, OBS boss Steve Wieck had to step in to explain the changes.
- Wizards of the Coast employees aren’t happy at Hasbro’s weak defence of human rights in the USA.
- Outland is adopting a new system, the Shadow of the Demon Lord’s, for their new RPG of Ian Sharpe’s Vikingverse When the Wolf Comes.
- Rowan, Rook and Decard, the indie publisher of Spire and Heart, among others, have announced the horror combat RPG Hollows.
- To raise money for Reproductive Rights in the States there’s a quirky/sexy Rolling for Seduction 5e bundle.
- There’s a trilogy of GURPS 4e deals at the Bundle of Holding with GURPS 4E Essentials, GURPS 4R Fantasy and GURPS 4E Space.
- At Humble, Frog God Games have a Treasures and Tehuatl Humble with a physical book.
Spotlight: Long Shadows Press
RPG news from around the web
- Polygon reports that with Anya Combs moving from Kickstarter to Backerkit that Zine Quest will move back to February.
- Paramount Pictures and SDCC team up for a D&D movie Honor Among Thieves competition.
- There’s loads of R. Talsorian Games news with J Gray becoming the Project Lead for Cyberpunk RED and a new DLC for the TTRPG. There’s also an update for Tales of the Red.
- The Hollywood Reporter had Paramount Tackling Adaptation of Role-Playing Game’ Alice Is Missing’.
- Surprising no one, and certainly not Dicebreaker’s Chase Carter who wrote up D&D actual play studio adds founder Jamison Stone back to website, weeks after abuse and manipulation allegations.
- Cubicle 7 readies up Dragon PCs for Soulbound with Era of the Beast.
- On VR dungeon crawls, we had The strangest tech to come out of Utah: July edition.
- Cat Tobin and Pelgrane Press put together Swords of the Serpentine Free Downloads and Resources.
RPG reviews and interviews from around the web
- Black Campbell reviews the new Blade Runner Role Play Game and the old Prince Valiant RPG.
- Seed of Worlds reviewed the Ruins of Symbaroum (5e) Gamemaster’s Guide.
- Reviews from R’lyth wrote up Azukail Games’ Tomes of Cthulhu and the bawdy Brancalonia.
- Charles Dunwoody looked into Talisman Adventures – Tales of the Dungeon.
- Nerds on Earth penned a review of Starfinder Drift Crisis.
- At EN World, Egg Embry helms an interview on Cypher System Open License: The First Wave of Creators Speak.
RPG new releases
- Mongoose boosted Traveller with the Robot Handbook.
- Modiphius released Infinity: Ships of the Human Sphere to their UK and US stores.
- You can now lay down the cash for Firelock Games’ War Stories: A World War 2 RPG Rulebook.
- Paizo has been adding titles to DTRPG such as Wake of the Watcher.
- Gelatinous Cubism published the dangerous module Through the Valley of the Manticore.
- Pay What You Want for Identical Games’ Writing Winnie the Pooh.
- The very good zine from The Merry Mushmen Knock! – Issue #3.
RPG bundle deals
- Save $7.20 (37%) on Dark Raptor Press’ Cyber Seeds 01-10 bundle.
- Save $2.69 (6%) on Relentless Fiction’s Hex It! bundle.
RPG ideas, tips and discoveries
- Ben and the Genre Police tackled the important topic of GM burn out.
- Too much merch? There’s an official D&D breakfast set.
- Johnathan Hardin published part of two of How to Motivate Your Players.
- J.R. Zambrano waded into What ‘Radiant Citadel’ & ‘Spelljammer’ Tell Us About D&D’s Digital Future.
- D&D Beyond’s Mike Bernier wrote up How to Create a Lost Civilization From the Radiant Citadel.
- GameRant’s Dominick D’Agostino found that Dungeons and Dragons DM Makes Incredible Mansion Dungeon.
- Meanwhile, Rory Young had Dungeons and Dragons Player Shows Off Beautiful Liquid Core Dice.
You can see those Kickstarters and other crowdfunding campaigns that caught GeekNative’ss attention over at Kickstarter watch. Here are some industry projects worth a mention;
- The Sagaverse want to bring you into the heart of darkness, lurking shadows and the Curse of the Chupacabra: Epic Horror Adventure For 5e & OSR.
- Blackout Games are trying to monster-train again with
Monster Wrangler (Relaunch).
- Kulkmummeln are a father and son publisher pair trying to fund a swamp crawl for OSR RPGs called Dodenmoor.
- Seeforever Media Group have a multi-system lure to the evil of The Haunted Pass.
- Suhland Workshop have a funding challenge ahead for Baron’s stronghold, 3D printable modular scenery
- My Dungeon have set a lower campaign goal for 3D STL Files Landscapes 2 + The Bridge.
- Tom and Catherine Thrush have funded Libram of Lists – Adding Detail to Your Fantasy Worlds.
- One-Eyed Wearbear Gaming have danger, daring and destruction on offer in Loot Lemmings: A 5e Drop-and-Play Adventure.
- Inbreak have dozens of backers for their Extra-large Ice Crack Dice.
- Sapphire Cloud Games are funding a player’s guide for a new setting. It’s the Wanderer’s Guide to Nathn’ahl
- Q-Workshop has tens of thousands of monies pledged for their Dracopolis Dice.
- Guillermo Buenfil has funded a selection of ready-to-play Adaptable Encounters for D&D5E – $1USD Sea and City Edition.
- Kakapopo and Edinburgh-based Sam Zhao are back with some stunning 3D Resin Painted Sealed Dragons Box for Dice, Jewelry & More
- Bloat Games have a winning formula and loads of fans for Overworld 3: The Adventure Continues.
- John Wrot! has attracted thousands of backers for a box of Mystery Dice, The Kickstarter.
- Corey Papastathis has a feudal Japan 5e fiction adventure In Service of the Tiger – Historical Fiction 5e.
- James is offering over 1,000 combinations of their Handmade Rustic Game Master Screen.
- Shades of Vengeance are back on Kickstarter so that you can Become a super-powered assassin with Era: Hitman v1.1!
- Aaron Miller has quick reference illustrations and stats in Skwirl’s 5E Wild Shape Cards – Core Set of 50.
- Midlam Miniatures return with Junior Townsfolk & Villagers – Volume 3.
- Steven Frank is coding a web-based campaign manager/VTT for 2D, 3D or virtual reality play. It’s Macray’s Keep.
- Savage Realms Gamebooks’ presents work by David Lowrie, James Hirons and Pat O’Neill with THREE New Savage Realms Gamebooks by THREE Guest Authors!
- Games Unbound has a diverse collection and unique backstories for The Rumor Broker’s Ledger of Names: An NPC Compendium.
If there’s a source or news you think is worth monitoring, please get in touch or leave a comment below.