RPG news round-up time! Golly, it feels like it was only yesterday when Routinely Itemised: RPGs #157 was being written up and here we are again.
A fast-moving week! Also, a sad and worrying one, with concern and commiserations needed for the women of the United States of America. This Scot, this European, lives in a nation like every other bar one in the world with access to free public health care, which is the service we put our tax money towards to save lives.
But, you’re here for the RPG news and so let’s start with the summary of summaries! This week;
- The Black Cat RPG was confirmed
- D&D Beyond gave away free D&D content
- Ed Greenwood was inducted into a Sci-Fi and Fantasy Hall of Fame
- The Wall Street Journal talked about D&D in Medieval Art.
It’s nearly the end of the month, so the RPG Publisher Spotlight begins to pulse! There’s an interview with Joseph Bloch, who published Gary Gygax’s unpublished D&D evolution in the BRW Games feature. Geek Native Patreons can vote for July’s Candidates.
Now, on with the RPG news!
Patreons: Town Hall
RPG news from Geek Native
- Ulisses Spiele has confirmed their Puss In Boots-inspired fantasy The Black Cat RPG is being translated into English.
- Wizards of the Coast flexed their new site and used D&D Beyond to give free chapters of the upcoming D&D book Journeys Through the Radiant Citadel away.
- Relentless Fiction has published a teaser of their witch-themed RPG with Hexengeddon’s quickstart.
- For D&D fans, over on the DMsGuild, there is 5 years’ worth of homebrew monsters available for free in the Monstrous Menagerie.
- RPG creators looking for an alternative to Kickstarter might be interested to note that rival Crowdfundr opened their free-to-use Creator Hub.
- The Bundle of Holding has their largest, by file size, ever deal with Gigabytes of Heroic Maps.
- Also on the site is the game of horror and economics; Hebanon Games’ Red Markets.
Spotlight: BRW Games
RPG news from around the web
- Broadway World shared photographs in their Photos: First Look at the New Dungeons & Dragons-Inspired Musical HERE THERE BE DRAGONS.
- Dicebreaker’s Matt Jarvis managed to pull off Play the upcoming Dr. Grordbort RPG in D&D 5E with this exclusive quickstart adventure.
- World Anvil has released a roadmap for Chronicles.
- Ed Greenwood, the creator of the Forgotten Realms, has been inducted into the Canadian Science Fiction and Fantasy Association Hall of Fame. Congrats Ed!
- ComicBook covered Marvel Multiverse RPG Reveals Sabretooth’s Statblock.
- Kat Thompson found out How This Dungeons & Dragons TikToker Became a Sandwich Star.
- Dicebreaker covered Pipkin’s pre-sale for the World ENding Game.
- Scott Baird wrote up How To Officially Add Vecna To 5e Adventures.
- Online RPG site Role released a search any game function.
- Modiphius are looking for, and you’ve a few days left to step forward, playtesters for Cohors Cthulhu.
RPG reviews and interviews from around the web
- At EN World, Rob Wieland wrote up Irownsworn: Starforged.
- The Other Side reviewed Pathfinder 2nd edition and Bestiary.
- Over on Grognardia there’s a retrospective on Curse of Xanathon.
- An official Blake’s 7 RPG? Nearly, and Refereeing and Reflection takes a look at the zine Blake’s 7 Role-Playing Game. Arthur also wrote up the Spire RPG sourcebook Sin.
- Age of Dusk looked into The Brinkwood Thickett.
- Strange Assembly, always insightful, take a look at Avatar Legends: The Roleplaying Game.
- Giuseppe Rotondo wrote up Diogo Nogueira’s latest RPG Kosmosaurs.
- Reviews from R’lyeh reviewed Death in Space. Also in R’lyeh is a review of Handiwork Games’ The Silver Road.
RPG new releases
- Third Eye Games released their Pip System powered A Kid’s Guide to Monster Hunting.
- Parable Games’ horror RPG Shiver picked up an award at UKGE 2022, and with good timing, the hardback is in the shops.
- Another big hardback heading to the shops in Andrews McMeel’s Blackbirds RPG.
- Now on DTRPG, Hit Point Press publish their animal 5e Humblewood Campaign Setting.
- Supporting Humblewood, there’s also this Big Bad Bundle.
- Leyline Press updated their Pay What You Want (suggested $0.00) Salvage Union beta quickstart.
- Desks and Dorks published Kyle Ott’s game of desperation; After the Rain.
- You’re in a dark room! Alexia Vella publishes a solo TTRPG inspired by the Dark Room.
RPG bundle deals
- Save $126.94 (85%) on the prolific Raging Swan Press’ 2020 5e Collection.
- Save $13.57 (58%) with Rarr! I’m a Monster Publishing’s Everything’s Fine bundle.
- Save $9.98 (20%) with Stellagama Publishing’s Cepheus Deluxe RPG bundle.
- Save $6.94 (58%) with Copper Dragon Games’ Handy Hoard of Treasure bundle.
- Save $1.75 (27%) with LeoMetz Productions’ Fantasy Locations to Inspire bundle.
RPG ideas, tips and discoveries
- Order your D&D books, so the game runs better? Faster? With less paperwork faff? The official book tabs are on pre-order.
- John Yackel of Valiant Fox Gaming guest posted Corruption might be unexpectedly wholesome in your RPG.
- Gizmodo’s Linda Codega helpfully compiled a list of 26 Tabletop Roleplaying Games by Queer Game Designers.
- Aaron Cooke explained Why the Queer Community Has Gathered Around TTRPGs.
- Screen Rant gave us How The Forgotten Realms Became The Default Setting Of Dungeons & Dragons.
- At Roleplaying Tips, John Four shared newsletter 1206 and d6 Tips For a Player’s First Session.
- The Wall Street Journal helped us get all academic with a piece called Dungeons and Dragons in Medieval Art.
You can see those Kickstarters and other crowdfunding campaigns that caught Geek Native’s attention over at Kickstarter watch. Here are some industry projects worth a mention;
- 3D-Fortress is trying again with these 3D designs to create quirky MUGS FOR DICE-restart.
- Gaudreau Steve returns to Kickstarter with project 45 and D&D 40+ Digital fantasy tokens and maps for tabletop games.
- Joanna Villafane has a quickstarter for 10 varying-size landscapes in the TTRPG Map pack #3.
- Marco Salogni has funded A collection of 3 Print and Play games.
- Foe Figures is a 3d artist offering up Foul Beasts: Slimes and Ogres.
- Status Effect Games is helping out on a cartography boost and Map Pack Two: Double Trouble.
- DecoQuest Workshop is funding 3d printable scatter terrains for cyberpunk and sci-fi settings in X-TERRAIN.
- Pinnacle Entertainment Group has smashed targets for six new classes from the Advanced Player’s Guide with Pathfinder® for Savage Worlds – Curse of the Crimson Throne.
- Autarch has ancient customs, grim grudges and old-school fantasy in By This Axe: The Cyclopedia of Dwarven Civilization.
- Dren Productions Games has funded a system-agnostic collection of dungeons for side-quests in Architects of the Deep: Quick-Fire Dungeons.
- SmokyCreation has made the target on the unusual The DZ Dice (Bronze) – inspired by the ferocity of a dragon.
- The Polyhedra Knights are working on a post-apocalypse tabletop RPG called Wasteland Sagas.
- Max Moon has sailed through the goals for the Aleister Crowley Book of Lies based Abyss of Hallucinations Vol. 2 – A MÖRK BORG Setting.
- Yedharo Models from Spain have some strong designs on offer in The Zodiac War by Yedharo Models 3D Printing Miniatures.
- Biscuit Fund Games have a great name and a project for a collaborative series of essays on magical healing, monsters and treasures in RPGs with The Levanté Papers.
- Vivid Worlds wants you to go on adventures in eldritch local government with Wyrdwich Council: A New Way To Play D&D 5e.
- 3DPZstudio is offering STL files for Folklore Pinups Chapter 2: BloodrootManor.
- Ethan Simpson-Mayette is raising money for school with a combat RPG called Epixia.
- Miniature Evolution has a remarkable design for a Frost Phoenix – Tabletop Miniature and Dice Tower STL.
If there’s a source or news you think is worth monitoring, please get in touch or leave a comment below.