Ahoy there, geeks; welcome to Friday and our weekly RPG news summary.
Let’s dive in with the super-summary. This week;
- Evil Genius Games sprang a multi-movie RPG deal on the 5e community.
- The charity RPG Research struggles to continue.
- Different Hasbro investors grumble about Wizards of the Coast
- The $17m alternative VTT One More Multiverse opened its doors wider.
- It’s the big D&D Sale.
It’s also the start of the month! The winner of the RPG Publisher Spotlight is Sixel Publishing whom you can find on the DMsGuild.
Site Patreons can vote for the following candidates on this private poll page.
Okay! Time to follow those bullets with even more bullet points and the slightly more detailed RPG news.
RPG news from Geek Native
- News so big that it’s hard to take in? New publisher Evil Genius turns out to be… well, genius? Well connected at least and has a multi-movie deal for “5e Modern” RPGs for Pacific Rim, Kong, Rambo, Total Recall, The Crow, Highlander and more.
- Sadly, the charity RPG Research has had to suspend most operations.
- $17million backed alternative VTT One More Multiverse opens beta to more.
- Green Ronin take Modern AGE to the neonharsh future with Cyberpunk Slice.
- Animancer is giving away free ambience downloads, discounted bundles and support for 5e Vaz’Kin’Rai.
- Island of Bees released a free preview of their space-western Skybound, basedof Westbound.
- Marcus Psacall has two free adventures available to support the Kickstarter and Trademarked term QuarterShots.
- There’s also a free to download 43-page preview of Celtic myth, Roman-ways and Legends of Avallen.
- One more freebie, and a dark one from Void Gate Games with Hollow.
- Tal Woodblaze has made available the Pay What You Want 5e Prin Orwells Guide to the creatures of Madrikhar.
- SAINTS & Synners Gallantfunded and Geek Native have an exclusive preview of the sci-fi RPG.
- It was KiwiRPG Week.
- I’m hearing rumblings and concerns but, hmm, for now, let me point out three Shadowrun Sixth World bundle deals, including fiction.
Spotlight: Sixel Publishing
RPG news from around the web
- Io9 has the exclusive on How a New Wave of Grants Is Building a More Diverse Tabletop Scene.
- Another Hasbro investor causing trouble as Ancora to think again (again) about Wizards of the Coast.
- Chase Carter covers the Itchfunding We Deal in Lead is a Cairn-based RPG take on Stephen King’s The Dark Tower.
- Saltwire puts a local spin on DM MacNevin with P.E.I. man lands dream job of running Dungeons & Dragons games in 600-year-old English castle.
- Bleeding Cool covers WizKids Will Release D&D Spelljammer Items This October.
- Milton Griepp’s eagle-eye spots GAMA Turns It Around in 2021.
- Polygon had the exclusive on Everyday Heroes uses the rules of D&D to roll up Rambo, Highlander, The Crow, and more. But, Geek Native was second :)
- Goodman Games populate their store with Poisoned Skulls DCC dice.
- Making foodie news at Eater and coverage from Bettina Maklintal, there’s This Dungeons and Dragons TikToker Lets Dice Decide His Daily Sandwich Contents.
- At ScreenRant, Scott Baird writes up D&D’s Dragonlance Campaign & Board Game Combo explained.
- Necrotic Gnome shared a 2022 progress report on Dolmenwood.
- DriveThruRPG is running its big D&D Sale.
RPG reviews and interviews from around the web
- Impressively, at EN World, Echohawk shared Spelljammer Collector’s Guide Revisited
- Ben Reece has written up a detailed review of Absalom, City of Lost Omens.
- Reviews from R’lyeh reviewed the 4th issue of Bayt al Azif.
- Sami Yuhas noted Something’s Gone Terribly Wrong!: Deviant – The Renegades Reviewed.
- The Alexandrian shared the third party of the Candlekeep Mysteries series reviews.
- Bones of Contention reviewed Distant Lights.
- Nerds on Earth reviewed Book of the Dead for Pathfinder 2nd Edition.
- The Gauntlet explores Voidheart Symphony.
- The Other Side reviews 1983’s The Traveller Adventure and the 1982 Traveller Book.
- TechRaptor’s Tyler Chancey reviews the GI Joe: Roleplaying Game.
- Beth Rimmels takes a typically good look at the playtest version of the Marvel Multiverse Role-Playing Game.
- Graham Spearing reviewed the 2D6 RPG City of Decadence.
- Egg Embry also interviewed podcaster and Homebrew and Hacking author PJ Coffey.
- The Yawning Portal talks to Mist Hunters Ginny Loveday and Jeremy Forbing.
RPG new releases
- Jake Gollub has a free oceanic steampunk punk RPG for 3 to 6 players called Emerge.
- Rat Wave Game House has published the 1 to 3 player RPG about a monster in the night that’s inspired by old monster movies. It’s Fear the Taste of Blood.
- Wendi Yu has you punch Nazi occults, eat the rich and hunt with Here, There, Be Monsters!
- A.C. Luke has released a tabletop game about a criminal family back for one last job in A Family of Blades.
- Modiphius examples the terrors of occupied France with Achtung! Cthulhu 2d20: Operation Marseille – PDF.
- Goodman Games has made the Dungeon Crawl Classics Core Book Compendium for Foundry VTT available.
- Pay What You Want for Liam Mackey’s 5e Fighting Gigantic Monsters.
- Physical books from Forbidden Planet with Doctor Who: The Roleplaying Game: Core Rulebook (2nd Edition Hardcover) and discounted Collector’s Edition.
RPG bundle deals
- Save $150 (71%) with Samurai Sheepdog’s 2021 Annual Collection bundle.
- There are over 10,000 pages and savings of $97.70 (70%) in Kent David Kelly Castle Oldskull – 2022 mega-bundle.
- Save $13.85 (22%) with the DMsGuild’s Flight of Dragons bundle.
- Save $8.93 (31%) with the DMsGuild’s Indestructoboy’s Classiest Bundle Ever bundle.
- Save $7.88 (55%) with Ken Wickhams’ RPG Tools – Not in any volume books bundle.
- Save $5.35 (43%) on the DMsGuild’s The Complete Psionics bundle.
- Save $2.90 (27%) on Sorchi Games’ Fish, Parasites, and Toads – A Mörk Borg bundle.
RPG ideas, tips and discoveries
- Charles Dunwoody’s goes YZ Worldbuilding: Mork Borg.
- Kobold Press’ Greg Marks has written up Arcane Adventures: Land’s Labors.
- Meanwhile, Tim Hitchcock gets into Musings from an Empty Tankard: Parasitic Symbionts.
- ScreenRant’s Scott Baird shared D&D’s Spelljammer Setting Has Made Liches Even Scarier, Every New Spelljammer Race and keeping the theme going D&D: Giant Space Hamsters That Can Appear In Spelljammer.
- Jennifer Melzer, at CBR, noted Dungeons & Dragons: What to Know About Spelljammer’s New Races.
- Meanwhile, Seed of Worlds shared Resources to run Spelljammer today.
- World Anvil’s Roc jots down Turn Your Worldbuilding into a Roll20 One-Shot.
- CBR’s Ryan Bridges offered Dungeons & Dragons: How to Make Magic Items Feel Important.
- Wargamers pens D&D Greyhawk guide – the birthplace of Dungeons and Dragons and having an RPG focused week also DnD Ravenloft – a guide to Strahd and the Domains of Dread.
You can see those Kickstarters and other crowdfunding campaigns that caught Geek Native’s attention over at Kickstarter watch. Here are some industry projects worth a mention;
- Chamomile Has a Project has another success and a 20th project with The Traveler’s Guide to the Darkwood.
- The Monster Directive is funding a Quest RPG supplement with The Monster Directive’s Vainglorious Guide to Villainy.
- Tabac Iberez has funded a short story and mission pack for Lancer with Night Watch on Al-Sorah.
- Anakin Michael Chingwa owns Spirit Bear Studio and is funding an RPG of exploration and conquest in North America in
Colonies & Conquerors.
- Hain Designs suggests that Everyone’s Good at Doing Something (EGADS) and has a quick RPG to suit. It’s the EGADS! TTRPG system.
- Sea Serpent Games invite you to take your tabletop RPGs Into The Jungle A D&D 5e Sourcebook
- Laura Backer has funded a 3D printable setting via Cemetery of the undead Pay what you want.
- James Floyd Kelly has a zine but also props and a path for Mothership RPG. Step up to airlock: random-rolled resources for wardens & players.
- It rather says what it does on the cover it’s Yedharo Models 3D Printing Miniatures 3.0 – STL – 30mm – RPG
- Tetrahedron Games has a 7 inch/18cm tall Tomes of Magic – Dice Tower.
- RPGCrate is getting close to funding a deck with adventure on one side and food on the other. Kinda. It’s Recipe for Adventure Cards – Expeditions for DnD 5E.
- Weird Works has a D&D-inspired holographic vision of the neon fantasy future with Eldritch Overload: Fantasy Cyberpunk Tarot.
- Bad Squiddo Games have funded a fun and practical resin skulpted scenery/stationary. Paint your own Tree Pen.
- Tyler Lindsey has a reversible 50+ page book of pretty/ugly content for Mork Borg. All Things Fragrant and Foul
- Jonathan Sullivan is has funded NPC classes, rules and hirelings with The Gongfarmer Militia: A DCC Hirelings and Henchmen Zine.
- Resin Project has smashed a tiny target for a 3D printable The Fate of Argoth, the Last Longclaw Dragon
- William Murakami-Brundage is on a roll with an adventure featuring a dying warlock with a spirit bound into a purple-hued serpent. Dare you try The Amaranthine Asp: A D&D 5e Adventure?
- Big Dumb Fun Games bring the first STL boost online with INSTADUNGEON™ Expansion 1.
- Scott W is a military veteran with a Savage Worlds game of Special Forces and Task Force: Raven.
- Dark Realm Roleplaying invite you into The Zombie Crypt for 5e RPG – for only £3 GBP.
- Seventh Sense Studio look to be second time lucky with (Relaunch) Exordium: Ionna – Chaos & Pirate Setting for 5E.
- Manolo Ghironi has a mountain to climb with a plan to put tabletop goodies in chocolate. Will there be an actual EASTER EGG RPG?
- Kefa Studios set their adventure in a mythical world of chivalrous and jousting knights. There’s Destiny and Banners of Honour 5e.
- Eric Smith offers the final chapter of the 5e trilogy with Seidkona Saga: Shadow of Killmoure.
- David Savedge has smashed goals to bring to life handcrafted games from Ravenstead. It’s Tavern Games: Tabletop Role Playing Games of Chance.
- Goblin Kings offer 13 new D&D subclasses in Elemental Extras Vol. 1.
- Magic L are funding some strange new Link Dice – Magic Wand for Winners.
- Dice Dungeons have slaughtered their goal for Arsenal Dice: Unique Hollow Brass Dice for Each 5e class.
- Nonat1s introduces and easily funds Sinclair’s Library – PF2 / 5E – NPC Codex and Player Guide.
- Meditating Munky has funded a collection of 5e dungeons and maps. The name? Tome of Dungeons.
- Live Real Press has an RPG about powerful beings fighting to steal their rivals’ Power by beheading them. There can only be one of the Lords of Eternity.
- Tracey and Carmelitta have teamed up with Ballyraven Studios to offer strange themed Cryptids of Appalachia: An Elusive Dice Set.
- Jamicos Vessecky is funding the multi-genre and decision-based Nudros: Numbered Diceless Roleplaying System.
- On IndieGoGo, there’s Crumbling Keep’s The Goblins of Beetle Hollow for 5E.
If there’s a source or news you think is worth monitoring, please get in touch or leave a comment below.